Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 15:55
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Starve Your Way to Health"

Starve Your Way to Health

It works for mice and fruit flies, but can ultra-low-calorie diets extend the life of humans?

By Jerry Adler and Anne Underwood

Newsweek, Jan. 19 issue

link to article

If the world is divided into people who live to eat and those who eat to live, perhaps there ought to be a third category for Brian Delaney. At 5 feet 11 inches and 139 pounds, Delaney, 40, is really, really thin. Thin, and hungry. He limits his calories to 1,800 a day, in part by eating just two meals, except when he has a dinner date, in which case that's the only meal he eats. After 10 years on this regimen—actually, he started out at 1,400 calories a day, less than half of what the average American male consumes—he still experiences "the same pit in my stomach" every afternoon, but now finds it "easier to deal with." Especially when he thinks of all the diseases he's avoiding. If Brian Delaney is right, he may well have the last laugh on the rest of humanity ... sometime in the 22d century.

Delaney, a philosophy professor who lives most of the year in Sweden, is a pioneer in the tiny, controversial calorie-restriction movement, which aims to prolong human life by cutting back on food to the point of bare subsistence. The movement makes claims that go far beyond the commonplace observation that it's unhealthful to be fat. Instead, a handful of zealots assert that extreme deprivation creates biochemical changes that slow the aging process. In principle, this should increase not just individual life expectancy, but the human life span, the theoretical maximum that the species can achieve. This is a claim that not even the most committed opponents of obesity would make, and mainstream medicine is divided on whether Delaney and his thousand-odd followers are merely harmless kooks, or dangerous kooks. Most doctors would be shocked that Delaney's quest for better health required him to cut back on exercise. From the calorie-restriction point of view, food per se is a culprit, even if you subsequently burn it off on the treadmill. Delaney used to run 20 miles a week, but now he's down to 10; he doesn't have the calories to spare.

Yet Delaney, who is president of the California-based Calorie Restriction Society, might be onto something. The case for calorie restriction (CR) rests on sound scientific evidence that has been accumulating since the 1930s, when Cornell University nutritionist Clive McCay discovered that food-deprived rats lived longer and looked younger than those who ate normally. The effect has been seen in animals from fruit flies to roundworms to mice: reduce food intake by roughly a third, while maintaining adequate nutrition, and life span goes up by about 30 percent. Human beings can live to around 120, so if the same holds true for them, they could in theory make it past 150. The maximum effect is obtained only if you start restricting calories in infancy, a practice that, because it stunts growth and delays puberty, is unlikely to take hold among people. Still, life-span increases of 10 percent to 20 percent have been observed in mice who began restricted diets as adults. Delaney is philosophical about the question of dying, conceding that he could get run over by a truck next week, perhaps while fantasizing about a chocolate-chip cookie. But he thinks the prospect of another decade or two of life is worth some sacrifices.

What accounts for the strange phenomenon that semistarvation appears to prolong life? One theory is that calorie restriction slows metabolism, the burning of glucose for energy. This effect—which presumably serves the evolutionary purpose of conserving calories during periods of famine—is well known to dieters; as they eat less, their metabolic rate drops, and it becomes progressively harder to burn off fat. It's clear that metabolism slows in people on CR regimens; in one study, core body temperature dropped by one full degree. Metabolism, an essential life process, is also a destructive one; it unavoidably produces free radicals, unstable molecules that can damage the structures of living cells by the process known as oxidation. Antioxidant vitamins and supplements ranging from vitamin C to green-tea extracts have been the rage for decades, although there is little evidence that taking them by mouth has any effect on longevity; calorie-restriction diets take the more direct approach of reducing oxygenating compounds at their source—a plausible, if equally unproven, mechanism for extending life.

But some scientists who have studied CR believe it has other, subtler effects as well. "Protective mechanisms [within cells] begin to work better," says biologist George Roth, an authority on calorie restriction at the National Institute on Aging. Monkeys on CR diets don't show the same changes in hormone levels as they age as those who eat normally (although the experiments haven't gone on long enough to tell if the monkeys actually live longer). Blood-sugar levels are lower, suggesting a decreased risk of diabetes. Even more impressive, CR diets appear to affect the pattern of gene expression in mice. As animals age, certain genes seem to "turn off" while others become more active. Gerontologist Richard Weindruch and geneticist Tomas Prolla, both of the University of Wisconsin at Madison, found that CR diets suppress this process in mouse cells. "Seventy percent of the major changes in gene expression were totally or partially prevented by calorie restriction," Weindruch says.

Still, no one has proved that CR can extend life in humans, and the practical problems in running a controlled experiment are daunting. The first human tests are about to begin at three sites, but they will last only a year, and confine themselves to studying the potential risks of calorie restriction and measuring indirect indicators of morbidity, such as cholesterol, blood-sugar levels and free-radical damage. Evan Hadley, associate director of the National Institute on Aging, which is sponsoring the experiments, says they won't be looking for direct effects on longevity. "That," he says, "would be a very long trial."

And there are plenty of skeptics warning of possible side effects ranging from loss of bone density to loss of libido. Dr. Michael Alderman, an epidemiologist at Albert Einstein College of Medicine, says the most recent data from a major long-term human study showed that "the most powerful determinant of longevity is exercise. And if you're burning more fuel, you need more food." Thomas Wadden, director of the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania, says the classic study on calorie restriction, involving 20 healthy young men who cut their food intake in half for six months, found many negative effects, including "marked signs of depression and irritability." The subjects "were despondent, had very low energy and had lost the initiative to do things. They began to hoard food, and when allowed to eat again, they indulged in binge eating." They did lose weight—almost a quarter of their body weight—but, Wadden says, "it's hard to argue for [calorie restriction] in the absence of definitive data."

Meanwhile, scientists are looking at ways to get some of the presumed benefits of CR without actually forcing people to skip lunch for the rest of their lives. One approach is to tinker with eating patterns in a way that might be easier for most people to sustain, such as intermittent fasting. Neuroscientist Mark Mattson at the National Institute on Aging has run experiments on mice who were fed nothing on alternate days, and double rations the rest of the time. They didn't lose weight, but they showed changes in blood pressure and heart rate that suggested a lower risk of cardiovascular disease. The "mild stress" of fasting seemed to have inoculated them against more severe forms of stress that ordinarily cause adverse reactions in mice, Mattson speculates. He hopes to begin testing the proposition in humans soon.

Even better, presumably, would be a pill that people could take to mimic some of the biochemical effects of calorie restriction. Roth has shown that this is possible in rats, using a compound known as 2DG that appears to interfere with glucose metabolism, "tricking the cells into thinking they're calorie restricted, so less energy is metabolized." Unfortunately, it sometimes slows metabolism to the point of cardiac arrest, which is an undesirable side effect in a drug intended to prolong life, but other drugs might be safer. And, following news from a Harvard Medical School team that a compound found in grape skins—and, therefore, red wine—can extend the life of yeast cells by more than 60 percent, companies are racing to bring this substance, known as resveratrol, to market.

Any of these are sure to reach a broader segment of the metabolizing public than calorie restriction. Few people are likely to take the sanguine view of Warren Taylor, the 58-year-old secretary of the Calorie Restriction Society, who insists that with a proper choice of low-calorie, high-fiber foods, "you can never be hungry" on a CR diet. "Most of us report greater internal harmony, peacefulness, tranquillity, emotional levelness," he says blissfully. Yes, he's cold all the time, but he just wears more clothing—two pairs of pants and three shirts when he spoke to NEWSWEEK last week from Gardena, Calif.—which, he adds, has the benefit of hiding how skinny he is. And yes, he has diminished libido—"if you consider that a negative. Many people have elevated libidos, which get them into trouble, if you know what I mean." And, of course, he expects to stay healthy a lot longer, just like all those mice.

Meanwhile, the gene-function tests on CR mice left gerontologist Weindruch "so excited and impressed that I went on a calorie-restricted diet myself," he told NEWSWEEK. He lasted 10 days.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:26

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:

Ewwwwww. I'd rather sleep on broken glass.

I know a woman like that who hardly eats. Yes, she's also cold all the time, even in the middle of summer. She had a really hard time getting pregnant and after tons of medical intervention she finally did but the doc had her on 4 times the amount of iron suppliments of what a normal anemic person would take.

No thanks! You cannot get proper nutrients by not eating.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 17:26

Stats: 286/261/160 Female 5'8"
BF:BMI43.5%/39.7%/24%
Progress: 20%

I would rather have a shorter, more comfortable happy life!! LOL
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 18:13
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Big surprise. Energy utilizing activity shortens lifespan. Wow, good assessment there guys . My question is, why are they only focusing on metabolic activity? Wouldn't any activity that burns energy also contribute to the aging process...say, everyday activities that utilize energy such as running, walking, or even talking?

So then are we supposed to mock the dead... to live better?! What a foolish conclusion! The most disturbing thing of all is the fact there are people actually doing this. I don't know about you, but I would rather live 70 years of running, laughing, playing, enjoying good food and drink than live 90 years of some pathetic, starved, inanimate, quasi corpse-like existence.

Never underestimate the power of fear, fear is one of the biggest motivators of humanity. These cultists fear change and the life cycle so much, they don't realize they are wasting their lives trying to avoid the inevitable. They are already dead.

Oh and one more thing; I doubt their little experiment will work. Even if lowering metabolic activity of all kinds (via decreased talking, moving, and eating) does help stop the aging process to some degree, the lack of health from being constantly malnurished and sedentary should effectively outweigh the benefits. This will work with fruit flies because fruit flies have simple nutritional needs, and they have very simple body function systems. These cultists will be disappointed to learn the complex machine that is the human animal has strong energy demands, and cannot be so easily manipulated to defy nature.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 18:26

Plan: my own
Stats: 35/35/22 Female 5'5.5''
BF::(/:(/:)
Progress: 0%

i wasn't aware it was called calorie restriction. i thought it was called anerexia.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 19:29

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
These cultists fear change and the life cycle so much, they don't realize they are wasting their lives trying to avoid the inevitable.

People have been looking for the proverbial "fountain of youth" for ages. I agree with everyone else. A few more years living as a starved skeleton isn't worth it when I can enjoy my life (however long that may be) to the full and not have to live it in a constant state of starvation and discomfort. These people are so afraid of death that now they've become afraid to really live as well!
Okay...they've discovered that free radicals speed aging. Do they realize that sugar produces more free radicals in their bodies than most other foods on the planet? There are certainly better (and less self-abusive) ways of combating the effects of free radicals than starving yourself.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 21:09
Registered Member

Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:

AH, but hasn't ketosis been likened to starving?

The point being: our glucose restrictions may be getting us some of the lifespan extensions those masochists are seeking, but without the masochism.

I was tickled by the layering of the clothing to hide their scrawniness. Wow. One can dream, I guess.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 23:57

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I'd sooner hang myself than live an extra 30 years as an emaciated skeleton with no energy. I turn 22 this year. If I could theoretically live to 150 [with Calorie Restriction] I wouldn't do it. That would mean starving myself for the next 128 years...Thanks, but no thanks.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 00:02

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Default this has been in the news before

I saw a news item several months ago and the guy they profiled [I don't think it was the same guy] already had osteoporosis at 35. I don't know about you, but that's not going to lead to a happy longer life.

Like the rest of you, I'd rather enjoy a slightly shorter life, if that's what's going to happen, than a miserable slightly longer life.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 07:51
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
At 5 feet 11 inches and 139 pounds, Delaney, 40, is really, really thin. Thin, and hungry. He limits his calories to 1,800 a day, in part by eating just two meals, except when he has a dinner date, in which case that's the only meal he eats.

He is still considered in a normal weight range according to BMI although he is on the low end and should gain about 25 lbs. It seems hard to believe that at 1800 calories a day your body would consider itself starving.

He is eating about 13 calories per pound which is more than most of us eat at 10-12 times our body weight.

Of course I dont think eating all 1800 calories in one meal is good at all, 1800 calories is still a decent amount of food for a person. If it was 800 calories that would be a different story.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 08:32
Too kinky for you

Stats: 265/246/187 Male 176 cm
BF:xxx/27.2/20
Progress: 24%

Reminds me of a quote I saw ages ago... to paraphrase
"[Eating less] won't make you live longer, it'll only make it seem that way!"
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:31
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotbeer
AH, but hasn't ketosis been likened to starving?

The point being: our glucose restrictions may be getting us some of the lifespan extensions those masochists are seeking, but without the masochism.

I was tickled by the layering of the clothing to hide their scrawniness. Wow. One can dream, I guess.

I've read that animals with less active insulin receptors (and therefore, do not eat diets high in sugar) live longer too. However it is not clear to me whether this is because the animals were not eating at all, or because they were eating high fat/protein diets.

All metabolic activity which converts energy from one form into another will produce free radicals, and it will contribute to the aging process. It's pretty much common sense if you think about it; living causes dying . Radical concept huh?

While it certainly may be true that glucose metabolisms produce more free radicals than fat/protein ones (as Lisa N has said), I haven't seen any research which shows this (btw if anyone has a link to a study I would love to see it, TIA). The rumors about animals with less active insulin receptors living longer may be more caused by starvation (decreasing metabolism, and therefore using less energy and aging slower) than it is switching their diets to fat or protein.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 09:43
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
He is still considered in a normal weight range according to BMI although he is on the low end and should gain about 25 lbs. It seems hard to believe that at 1800 calories a day your body would consider itself starving.

He is eating about 13 calories per pound which is more than most of us eat at 10-12 times our body weight.

Of course I dont think eating all 1800 calories in one meal is good at all, 1800 calories is still a decent amount of food for a person. If it was 800 calories that would be a different story.

Well those of us on diets have plump adipose tissue, and we can afford that kind of calorie restriction. If I lower my calories to 12 times my body weight, I am nowhere near starving since my body is eating its fat, not its essential tissues.

An already underweight man, however, has almost no fuel reserves, and he cannot afford to restrict his calories like that and expect health. He has no fat to eat and his body will go into an emergancy mode of drastically slowing metabolism and wasting muscle to support life.

That's why this CR thing works so well (in theory anyway). The goal is to slow down metabolism by wasting muscles and decreasing thyroid function. Any metabolic (energy utilizing) activity causes aging. The very process of converting energy from one form to another causes aging. Yes, as simple as it sounds, living is the cause of dying . What a discovery, huh?

Well what these crazy people are trying to do is slow down the pace at which they live, to lengthen their life span. The lifestyle these people have chosen would be equivilant to say, eating a piece of chocolate painfully slowly to the point where you are uncomfortable, rather than enjoying it and eating it at a normal pace. They are so concerned with drawing out the pleasure of life, that they are making their life hell. I feel bad for them.

Last edited by ItsTheWooo : Mon, Jan-12-04 at 09:44.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:15
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Wow... I really try to be tolerant of other peoples' nutrition ideas, given that ours are mocked so often... but this is nuts! Living a crappy life so that you can be stuck in your crappy life longer? What kind of trade off is that?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 12:14

Stats: 215/150/?? Male 5' 11
BF:25%/17%/<10%
Progress:

Wow! That's amazing. I'll bet that the theory can be taken even further. I am going to run right out an buy all of the equipment I need to be intraveiniously fed so that I can avoid all of the damage that I am doing by moving. And the chewing, God, can you imagine how many years that I have already chewed off of my life. By my calculations, if I do not move again from now on, I should live to be at least 200 years old.

Oh crap, I didn't take this typing into account, now it is only 199 years. Damn, I have to stop, I am typing my life away. Must...try...to...hit...Submit...without...moving...too...much.