Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 154/146/125 Female 5'4
BF:??
Progress: 28%
Default Guess I better buy the book, then...

I've been going by my old Atkins book, purchased many moons ago. I re-started induction on New Year's day - I've been doing fantastic, though I have not lost any lbs due to, I believe, the fact that I'm still drinking (carb-safe) alcohol (this will end right quick).

Also, I notice that folks here on the board are referring to things in the new book (ladders, fats, etc) that are not in the old.

So today, the new book, I will purchase her... I'm so pleased with the way I've been eating, and now that my appetite's dropped (this is where I get sicky feeling and wind up cheating - I don't eat enough and don't feel well) I need to ensure that I know what the heck I'm doing to my body & do it properly!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 10:29

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default RE: DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution)

It's funny you mentioned the new book, b/c on another board we are doing a "challenge", and it's called "Atkins '72" (old book)

anyway just to clarify some stuff you mentioned, the ladder is the carbohydrate ladder, and it's just the order of foods that you add back into your diet, with berries or nuts first and whole grains last. This is when you move into OWL (Ongoing Weight Loss).

Dr. Atkins also talks about deducting fiber and sugar alcohols from the total carbs to get your "net" or "usable" carbs. Fiber has been shown not to affect blood sugar and the same with sugar alcohols (malitol, and some others). Glycerin is also another item that can be deducted, I don't know if it's a sugar alcohol or not. Some folks don't deduct sugar alcohols or fiber, they use straight carbs, i.e. the old Atkins.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 10:38
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Alot of the thing syou can get from the web site. It may be easier the buying another book, though a book is nice to have around for quick references.

Carb Ladder
http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/15-770965.html
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 10:41

Plan: Atkins Nutritionals
Stats: 226/204/150 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I like owning all of Dr. A's books, I'm getting a copy of his 72 Atkins in hardcover. He looks about 40ish in the pic.

Dr. A was a genius IMHO
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/127/125 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%/28.7%/??
Progress: 94%

I lost nearly all of my weight using the Atkins '97 publication. (I think it was '97! Correct me if I'm wrong on that date. I loaned it out and don't have it for reference.).

LOL- I liked that book a bit better than the newest DANDR... his personality really came out in the earlier version. Though I appreciate all the newer research in the latest book(s).

I haven't seen the '72 book, but my grandmother did that version of Atkins! She is in her 90's now. I don't know how long she stayed on the diet... so I can't comment on "long term effects" of the '72 Atkins diet... but I can say I know someone who did Atkins 30 years ago and is still healthy!

I'd say go for buying the newest DANDR... but I am a bibliophile and can't have enough books!