Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/154/154 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default MSN's idea of a low-carb breakfast

I received an email from MSN this morning. You aren't going to believe their idea of a low-carb breakfast: http://www.houseandhome.msn.com/Foo...bBreakfast.aspx
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:28
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

They must be out of their minds!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:28
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

OMG those recipes are horrible and filled with junk!

Where is the low carb in that?

Those recipes are filled with fat free junk
potatoes!!!
flour
fat free milk
turkey bacon
fake eggs
low fat cheese

I think they have the wrong label on that
or they are trying to turn low carb into low fat!

Thats a mess

that other biscuit recipe was just as bad
sugar?
cornmeal?
Nothing in there was low carb aside from 3T butter to make 16 biscuits
I am shocked they even did that
what a joke!

Last edited by MyJourney : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 08:36.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:44
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I plugged it into fitday out of curiosity

the biscuits are

60% Carbs!
31% Fat
9% protein

When MSN can switch it to 60% fat 31% protein and 9% carbs I will be impressed.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 09:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 208/154/154 Female 68 inches
BF:

It seems the problem stems from the Better Homes & Garden page they pulled the recipes from... http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?...tref=cat2960002 . Check out BH&G's links to low-carb appetizers, poultry and dessert recipes at the bottom of the page. Absolutely amazing!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 10:11
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I wasted my money on a "Low-Carb" cookbook which was either BH&G or Betty crocker I think...same crap.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 11:54
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%
Question WHY are you all complaining

I don't get it - whether you like the recipes or not they are Low Carb - they are not ZERO carb if that's what you want.

I noticed that so far everyone on this thread except Potatoe Free is stating Atkins as their plan - well there are other plans besides Atkins - believe it or not the whole world is not on Atkins. Many people are grateful for recipies that combine low fat and low carb.

People on Atkins are so happy that places like Subway and some other resturaunts are offering low carb options - why not be happy for those of us who are not on Atkins but still controlling carbs and looking for lower fat ways of doing this.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

Uh... I didn't see anyone complaining so much about the fat reduction, but the ridiculous amount of high GI carbs. The common philosophy of every low carb plan I'm familiar with is avoidance of foods that spike blood sugar. Potatoes? White flour!? Even Dr Agatson's chin would hit the floor over those recipes - and his plan is the one I'd guess they'd fit the most closely.

>>"Many people are grateful for recipies that combine low fat and low carb."

True, but I didn't see any on that page!

Combining high fat and high glycemic carbs like that is precicely what got most of us in trouble in the first place.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 13:36.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:33
Stepford Malfunction

Yes, Kristine you've got a point there - the white flour and some other ingredients are not the best - but still if someone is only interested in the total carb count per serving - they are going to help a lot of people out. A lot of Atkins recipes are ridiculous to someone not doing the plan - and some of these don't contain the healthiest ingredients either - how much nutrition is actually in bacon??? and I doubt that people on Atkins would make Atkins recipes to eat every single day - but for special occasions they might - so it would be the same thing with these low fat/low carb combo recipes.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

...but it is downright misleading to label those recipes as "low carb." They aren't. They're perfectly good recipes for the average Joe, but not for someone trying to correct their health problems by restricting carbs and controlling insulin. It's obvious to me that someone at the editing desk goofed and had no clue what a low carb plan really is.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:45

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

I don't think it's that bad. Compared to what people are used to eating on a regular basis, it's got to be an improvement. And it's probably not a bad idea to lower fat since it is relatively high GI.

Not that I'm going to run out and make these recipes, but then compared to the general population I'm pretty "hard-core" LC. But most people don't want to become uber-self-educated about insulin and metabolic functions and stuff, they just want to eat and forget about it, and I do think this moderate approach might help.

I guess I don't really see the harm in it since anyone who reads the book will/should know better anyway.

Last edited by Grimalkin : Fri, Jan-09-04 at 13:47.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 13:47
Stepford Malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
They're perfectly good recipes for the average Joe, but not for someone trying to correct their health problems by restricting carbs and controlling insulin

Yes, I'll agree with that - sorry I was not thinking so much of anyone with a health problem - but more looking at them as recipes that could liven up the menus of a weight loss plan from time to time.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:05
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

To my knowledge, there's no low-carb plan, from Atkins to TSP, that endorses recipes with sugar and white bread.

Sure, I can make a sugar sandwitch, with pure sugar powder inbetween, and end up with less than 50 grams of carbs, below my daily budget.

That doesn't make it a low-carb recipe! They're just recipes. This reminds me of the KFC campaign. Breaded fried chicken as LC.

Chances are, someone ran a quick search for any recipes lower than a certain number of carbs, and listed them with that title.

Otherwise, I'd switch to a Crispy Creme low-carb diet, with each meal having less than 50 grams of carbs

Wa'il
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:36
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyJourney
OMG those recipes are horrible and filled with junk!

Where is the low carb in that?

Those recipes are filled with fat free junk
potatoes!!!
flour
fat free milk
turkey bacon
fake eggs
low fat cheese

I think they have the wrong label on that
or they are trying to turn low carb into low fat!

Thats a mess

that other biscuit recipe was just as bad
sugar?
cornmeal?
Nothing in there was low carb aside from 3T butter to make 16 biscuits
I am shocked they even did that
what a joke!

Nothing wrong with the TURKEY BACON if you like the taste. It is recomended on the Atkins site. but I agree, I think the MSN people got their diets mixed up. This looks just like a low fat diet to me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: low carb/low fat
Stats: 255/236/155 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:32%/?/20%
Progress: 19%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimalkin
I don't think it's that bad. Compared to what people are used to eating on a regular basis, it's got to be an improvement. And it's probably not a bad idea to lower fat since it is relatively high GI.

Not that I'm going to run out and make these recipes, but then compared to the general population I'm pretty "hard-core" LC. But most people don't want to become uber-self-educated about insulin and metabolic functions and stuff, they just want to eat and forget about it, and I do think this moderate approach might help.

I guess I don't really see the harm in it since anyone who reads the book will/should know better anyway.

Well I certainly agree with a lot of what you are saying there all right. There is even a difference of opinion among Atkins people as to what to eat. It reminds me of churches that split off from the "mother church." There are the orthodox Atkins people who just go by the 1972 book. Then there are the johnny come latelies who go by later versions of the book. Then there is Atkins Nutritionals who seem to be changing the diet all the time. It is all very confusing to me.