Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/186/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Coca-Cola...A true addict...

Ok everyone,

I have done great with this woe. I am down 37lbs and feel great and have lots of energy. One month before I started Atkins, I gave up my true love...COKE!! I have done pretty good without it but lately I keep thinking about having a big Coke on ice. I can just picture it. I know I won't give in to having one but what's up with the thoughts? Nothing is stressful right now and I am keeping busy so I don't think it's emotional. Anyone else dream of forbidden foods/beverages? Did you find it tied into something going on with you? Physically or emotionally? Help....it's driving me crazy.

Martha
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 13:49

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

My experience (as another fellow Coke addict) is that it won't taste the same. I had a sip not too long ago and didn't even want another sip. So, you may want to give it a try and get it out of your system.

Funny, but even with the SF soda around here, I hardly ever even think about drinking soda anymore, and when I do, I never even finish the can. Something about this WOL has taken that craving away.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 14:03
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins for breastfeeding
Stats: 250/245/150 Female 5'5"
BF:2Much junk N trunk
Progress: 5%

beachmum is right. I tried to drink some last night because I was afraid ketosis was getting too intense (long story, you'd have to read my journal to understand-lol); however one sip about made me sick! It tasted like pure sugar. I've only been doing this for 2 weeks too! Imagine how it would affect you? Coke is all I drank, all day every day too.

Last edited by got4girls : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 14:06.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 14:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Have you tried Diet Rite?

It doesn't taste like Coke. But it doesn't taste like diet pop either. What it tastes like is regular generic sodas.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 14:48
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I sympathize with you. I've been craving diet coke. Part of it is habit, went back to the gym this week and always rewarded myself with a soda. I think I'm craving the caffeine as well.

Those were the only 2 things I could think of for myself. Maybe its something like that for you.

What do they put in coke thats so addicting anyway?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 15:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem
I sympathize with you. I've been craving diet coke. Part of it is habit, went back to the gym this week and always rewarded myself with a soda. I think I'm craving the caffeine as well.

Those were the only 2 things I could think of for myself. Maybe its something like that for you.

Maybe that's it....I have been getting up really early (like 3:30-4:00am). I have noticed that I have increased my number of cups of coffee from 2 a day to around 3 full or 4 a day. Maybe the increased caffeine has made me want the Coke. What do ya think?
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 15:49
Registered Member

Stats: 241/196/140 Female 64 in
BF:?????
Progress: 45%

I think I am just addicted to coke! I too, gave it up except for the occasional CF diet coke. Over the holidays, I gave in and had one. Unlike the others, still thought it was the bomb! I think I will always fight the coke demon.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 16:06
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:

Um, caffine and sugar :P
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 16:12
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Or maybe the increased caffeine is making you crave the sugar?
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:17
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bafmrf
Ok everyone,

One month before I started Atkins, I gave up my true love...COKE!! I have done pretty good without it but lately I keep thinking about having a big Coke on ice.

Hi Martha

I know exactly how you feel. Life-long Coke addict. My first childhood memory is me, 3 years old, getting my first whole bottle of coke, all to myself.

When I quit for the third and last time, I was drinking an average (but often more than) 12 cans a day.

If you want to give it up forever, I suggest you don't even have one. The first couple will taste bad, but familiar. By the third one, they taste great again. Very dangerous. It's probably just me, but I finally learned if I'm going to stay off of it, I can't even have one. It's been 9 months, but coke still sounds good, and I'd love to have one -- my desire for it goes up with my stress levels.

Anyways, pretty wordy way for me to say you're not alone!

Last edited by Lammie22 : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 19:19.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:46

BF:
Default Thanks for the replies

It is nice to know I am not alone. I won't even taste one because I know a majority of my success is getting off that stuff.

thanks.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:49

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%

I second the RC thing. It tastes more like Coke than Pepsi and does it for me when I want cola. Plus it's sweetened with Splenda, not aspartame.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:56

Stats: // Male 69 inches
BF:27%/21%/15%
Progress: -27977%

I enjoyed drinking Coke before going on Atkins, I used to have a diet coke every morning.

The one thing I missed the most is having a rum and coke. On New Years I decided to have a cheat of a rum and coke. And you know what, I was totally disappointed it didn't taste anything like how it used to, I didn't enjoy it at all.

So about the only thing I do now and then is a shot of rum. It doesn't disappoint me. LOL
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 20:07

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I was a serious Coke addict before Atkins. We're talking probably a 6-pack a day of the regular, full sugar Coke. They were hard to give up the first week of Induction but after that it didn't bother me. When I was having an "off-plan" day a few days ago I had one as a treat. I thought "Hmmmm...this doesn't taste all that good...why did I ever like it so much?" I would be afraid to have it very much though because I sure don't want to trigger the cravings again. It is just empty, non-nutritional calories and I can think of better ways to use them.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 21:04

Stats: 193/189/148 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I am a recovering Pepsi addict. I love it. I would give up all food if I could just have my Pepsi. The main reason I regained the 30# I lost on Atkins a few years ago was getting back on Pepsi. Once I am back on Pepsi, I want Cheetos, etc., etc. I don't think I could have one once in a while. For me it's all or nothing. I feel your pain! LOL