Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 18:57

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I (even during induction, I know bad girl) never gave up my wine. I lost 10 lbs the first two weeks on Atkins so it didn't slow me (or not much anyway). I have however given up all alcohol for the month of January because I was DRUNK too many times (like 4) between Thanksgiving and New Year's. I also restarted induction because I did have "a cheat a week" during that period and want a fresh start so I can achieve my goal. I have found that I need to be careful - drunk more quickly, but not on my usual amounts, just if it's more. I drink about 2 drinks (be it wine or a vodka martini or vodka and soda) 2-3 times per week and have lost fairly steadily. About 5 lbs per month average. So in MHO it did not stall me, maybe i could have lost faster, but I love my wine and 5 lbs a month is worth it. YMMV
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 19:07
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/220/200 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:
Progress: 80%

I read the article you linked to, but I have to fundamentally disagree with the author. The author doesn't take into account the fact that a winemaker can stop the fermentation process at *any* time by raising the level of Sulfur Dioxide in the must. I can't remember the chemistry behind it off the top of my head, but it does stop the yeast from converting the remainder of the sugar.

With fortified dessert wines, they get the same effect by raising the alcohol level with brandy or cognac or whatever they're fortifying with. Most yeast can't survive in an environment where the alcoholic concentration is above 15%.

So, she's really making a blanket statement that she can't back up. Are there some dry white zin's on the market? Probably. But can you be sure that the one that *you're* drinking has no sugar in it? Nope.

For those who aren't wine people, here are some definitions:
Fermentation - the conversion of sugar to alcohol by yeast
Sulfur Dioxide - Chemical used in the production of most wines. Usually represented on a wine label by the phrase "Contains sulfites"
Must - What the mix of grapes, seeds, liquids, and yeast is called during fermentation

~Ryan

(Yes, I know too much about wine )

Last edited by Ryan Evans : Thu, Jan-08-04 at 19:17.