Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/192.5/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Question Cheating on induction, but it was low carb!

Background:
I've read DANDR and I did Atkins for a month and a half back in August but I got into a new relationship and ended up not only stopping Atkins but going back to eating junk food and put 15 of the 23lbs I lost back on. I just started Atkins again on 12/29/03 and last night thought I just couldn't take it anymore. I live in a house with 4 other people.. none of them on anything that even resembles a diet.

The situation:
This morning, I couldn't bear to have eggs one more time so when I went to the grocery store so I would have something to make for my meals at work today, I picked up some CarbSense Apple Cinnamon granola and some Hood CarbCountdown FF milk. My breakfast totaled 5.5 carbs. My daily intake of carbs through most of induction so far has only been between 7 and 9.. reading through the forum I'm realizing this isn't a good thing (which I know I should have taken the good doctors word for) so I picked up a bunch of lettuce, peppers, cucumbers, and a little bit of broccoli today. Also, I haven't been drinking much water. Some days I'll drink one glass.. other days up to 5.. but I haven't gotten past that (I've never been much for drinking anything at all). Today, I bought some SmartWater in a 6.5 serving bottle and promised myself I'd drink it all.

The bottom line:
I have been hungry all day for the first time since I started Atkins, basically. I had 1/2 cup of the granola, 1/2 cup of the milk...for lunch I had about 3/4 cup broccoli florets and some thin sliced pork cutlets seasoned with Mrs Dash. I had to go grab some cucumber slices because I am so hungry and I've been drinking water like a fish as I should have been all along.Do you guys think my hunger is coming from my breakfast even though the nutrition facts for the granola stated that it was basically all fiber and some protein? No sugar alcohols or anything.
My calories for yesterday were only at 1200 (which consisted of a two egg and cheese omelette, 1 cup of cucumber slices, two hamburgers, and a cut up chicken breast), maybe that is still having an effect today even though I was not hungry at any point yesterday?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:30
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Sounds like you might need more fat in your meals. I doubt that cereal has much fat in it, nor does broccoli and pork cutlets. Fat makes you feel full, so next time, add some butter, oil, mayo, bacon grease, whatever to your meal and see if it doesn't help.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:40

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

My guess is that it's the "products". Ravenous hunger is usually an indication that you are now experiencing an insulin spike, which is what we're trying to avoid on this WOE. It doesn't MATTER how many "carbs" the product says it has. It might work great in a test tube, but they are too many variables in the human body.

My guess--get rid of the products. Eat real food. Don't use products as a band-aid for poor eating. Why don't you investigate the myriad of LC recipes for breakfast, like breakfast custard? They are much better for you, and can be made days in advance and stored in your fridge.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:41
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Actually that cereal has 300 calories, 70% are from fat

1200 for one day isn'tt bad, you don't want to stay low for too long though. Start adding veggies to your breakfast. Put sinach in an omlette, or use mexican blend of cheeses and throw in some peppers and top with LC salsa. I also love zucchini hashbrowns, though they aren't in season.

Atkins says to try and have a small something every 4 hours if you are experiencing the appitite suppression and not getting enough calories. Try just a little chicken, or maybe some celery with cream cheese.

Get darker lettuces such as leaf, romain, or cos. They have more nutrients then iceburg and more flavor as well. You can also have full fat dressing. I've started loving cesear salads made with romain lettuce, cesear dressing, a little parmasan and some meat.

Put olive oil or butter on your veggies and salads to up calories and fat, also moisture. Eat salmon or other fish high in healthy fats.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 13:53

BF:

Hmm.. I have had a lot of days of cut up chicken and pork during induction so far and did not feel this hunger. As for fat, I do cook my chicken and pork in olive oil at least. Yesterdays menu had 70grams of fat if I recall fitday correctly.

Also... in regards to the "products" comments.. it's not like I'm snacking on lc candy.. maybe other people would but I don't consider something, such as granola, that has no added sugar and is mostly fiber, fat, and some protein.. to be a kind of "product" I want to avoid. Do many other people agree that I should cut this out (aside from reasons of not having it purely because I'm on induction, please.)

The lettuce I've purchased is Boston greenhouse lettuce. I really don't care for Romaine or iceburg for that matter.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 14:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygirl
Also... in regards to the "products" comments.. it's not like I'm snacking on lc candy.. maybe other people would but I don't consider something, such as granola, that has no added sugar and is mostly fiber, fat, and some protein.. to be a kind of "product" I want to avoid. Do many other people agree that I should cut this out (aside from reasons of not having it purely because I'm on induction, please.)

It doesn't really matter what it says it contains. Your body reacted to it by making you HUNGRY. If you don't mind being HUNGRY all the time, then have at. Eat what you wanna eat.

I know from many, many years of low-fat, HUNGRY is not a sensation I particularly enjoy.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:10

BF:

What makes you think they are being untruthful about the contents? Again, I can see being wary about things like low carb candies, bars, and the like... but why this too?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:21

BF:

Because they are trying to sell you something. They may not BE lying, but like I said before:
Quote:
It doesn't MATTER how many "carbs" the product says it has. It might work great in a test tube, but they are too many variables in the human body.

Every BODY is different. What may work for some, unfortunately doesn't for others.

Last edited by OHGal1415 : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 15:22.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:38

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

it is true..I react badly to anything that has a lot fo carbs even if the NET is only 2 or 3 if it has 10 fiber grams those are still cabrs and they still cause cravings.

Now...if you can be in complete control and eat these things thats great but I have to be very careful ebcuase they often throw me right out of ketosis and on an eating binge. All in all fiber is good for you but everyone is different. I dont have any problems with veggies...
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 15:54

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

monkeygirl....

Did the fiber in that granola come in the form of unprocessed wheat bran? If so, you may have just discovered that you have a sensitivity to wheat (even the bran) that stimulates hunger and cravings in your body.
OTOH, it could just be that you aren't eating enough calories or fat and your body is telling you that it wants you to feed it.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 18:49
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Before we get all wound up... could you please list the ingredients in the cereal? I remember almost picking some up at gnc, and I don't remember what it was that made me put it RIGHT back down......
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 19:06

BF:

http://www.netrition.com/carbsense_granola_page.html

Here's the ingredients:
Soybeans, almonds, oat fiber, polydextrose (fiber), soybean oil, cinnamon, natural flavors, sucralose (Splenda brand).

My guess is that the polydextrose is what set her off. Anything with the prefix dex- is corn-based, and the -ose is a sugar. Many people have corn sensitivity, not to mention the oat fiber. Definitely not for induction. Soy can also wreak havoc on people with (undiagnosed)thyroid issues. http://www.westonaprice.org/soy/index.html

Now, I don't know if OP has any of these issues or not. I'm just saying that these would be the reasons I would steer clear of this product.

You'll have plenty of time to enjoy things like this on maintenance!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 20:48
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Polydextrose is a form of fiber..not a sugar. Not ALL foods ending in ose aren't simple sugars, per se. "Natural Flavors" can cover a lot of territory, but who knows?

Monkeygirl-- I think you need to eat more food altogether. If you're really, physically hungry, eat. I don't know if it was the cereal or the milk, or just a "hungry" day. Maybe leave out the cereal for a few days, and see if you get back to normal. If so, you'll know that's a food you should avoid.

Don't worry, you'll get it straightened out, and you'll soon learn what foods, combinations of foods, and "products" woork best for YOU. Not everyone thinks the lc alternatives are evil.... they just need to be approached with caution until you learn what your body can tolerate. Some of them are quite useful, and in moderation, can keep you ON plan, and some of them can trigger cravings that send you OFF plan.

Last edited by potatofree : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 20:49.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:29

Stats: 236/202.5/159 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 44%

Here are some more humble opinions
If it's more important to lose the weight than have the cereal I'd just find some other breakfast alternatives to regular eggs rather than the cereal....for instance...
this morning I had a little concoction I like to make....
I take about 4-6 eggs with some cream or half & half....sorry I don't measure but it's likely about 1/2 a cup or so.....and adds some stuff....while I'm doing this I preheat the oven to about 350.
To the egg mixture I add some or all of the following....
diced zucchini
sliced tomatoes
salsa (only the kind without any sugar or other crap)
diced peppers.
You may find other items

I always add to the egg mixture about a half cup of ground up flax seed...
I pour all this into a 9x9 glass dish and bake for about 25-30min.
This will make 3 or 4 servings and has lots of fibre (flax).
I usually top it with a tablespoon or two of Bellisimo Vegetable spread (a product made with roasted red pepper, roasted eggplant, etc.) and the same of sour cream.
It makes an interesting easy breakfast for 3 or 4 days and the possible variations are limitless.
Take the time to discover new interesting stuff to eat and you will create a habit for life that you will never stop. If you try to replace the bad foods with imitations you will never escape your old way of eating IMHO.
I would say you should be get most if not all of your carbs from vegies.
Also I suggest up the fat and the calories slightly. At 1200 calories I'm not surprised that you're hungry. If you're hungry eat but eat some fatty protien as it tend to satiate the hunger.
IMHO.....
You can do it!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 21:50
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

you definatly need to boost the calories, for your weight you should be near the 1800-2000 cal mark per day.

Also have you checked out the recipe forum here, it's great. I am also not an egg lover, but I eat a mock danish everyday and get 2 eggs in by doing that. There are lots of variations to do with eggs, but if you are sick of them why stick with "breakfast" foods. Eat leftovers from the night before. Left over chicken, roast etc.