Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 04:43

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default I need sone encouragement and reassurance

Hi all.... I have been loving this WOE for almost 7 weeks now.. I am diabetic, and have had some great results in my blood glucose levels, so that in itself should be encouragement enough for me to stick with this.

However, the last few days I have been struggling for no real apparent reason. I have passed TOM, so its not that. I have even been contemplating going back to weight watchers. I think there are a couple of reasons... I have felt very very very tired (even though I just had a holiday). In fact, the benefits of my holiday seem to have quickly gone out the window. The last couple of days I seem to be suffering serious fluid retention (probably why I'm tired). I feel like even my face is swollen.. my ankles and feet are puffy, the joints are tight. Now, of course the first thing I did was eliminate salt and salty foods. It is very hot here, and I know heat can cause this, however, it is hot every summer here in australia, and i have NEVER suffered with fluid retention before. I know my kidneys etc are good, have full blood work up done before doctor recommended i go on the atkins plan. I feel just awful, and I can't help but believe that the fluid retention is due to something i am lacking on this WOE. I do take vitamins, and have avocado, eggs and macadamia nuts every day.. all potassium rich food The scales have gone up 5 pounds in the past week, and I believe i have not lost any weight (under the excess water) for a few weeks now. My hair seems to be thinning too and my mood is unusually low.

I guess I don't know if there is any good solution except to stick it out, but I hope you all understand why I am struggling at least?

an unusually sad luscious

Last edited by Luscious : Wed, Jan-07-04 at 04:53.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 05:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Luscious!

I'm not sure about a vitamin deficiency causing water retention, but a combination of salty foods, hot weather and not enough water can certainly cause it. Are you making an effort to get extra water with the weather being so hot? If not, that may be the first thing to try. I know it sounds counterintuitive to drink more water when you're already retaining, but when your body is lacking water it will hang on to what it's got and try to keep what little is coming in as well. You should be getting at least 2 liters of water a day; more when it's hot or very dry.
I know that here in Michigan when it gets hot and humid in the summer (I live near Lake Michigan), I will always retain water no matter how or what I'm eating. It's just a given.
Also, are you taking any kind of multivitamin? According to Fitday, most days I'm meeting my nutritional requirements (getting the RDA of all listed vitamins and minerals), but I take a multivitamin anyway; it seems to help with giving me extra energy and overall feeling even better.
Some natural supplements to help with water retention are Taurine and Asparagus tablets (take as directed on the bottle).
If the water retention doesn't clear up in a few days with drinking extra water or cooling of the weather, definitely give your doctor a call to see what they would suggest. If it's causing you problems, don't let it go unchecked.
Hope you're feeling better soon!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 06:11

BF:
Default Thanks Lisa

I will be patient a few days.. it is very hot and humid right now, no doubt that is the cause.

I do drink plenty of water.. at least 2-3 litres a day. I also take a good multivitamin. I'll visit a health food store tomorrow and look for some natural remedy.

No Salt, lots of water, and feet up.. hopefully will feel better soon.

Luscious
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 07:57

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185.5/162/154 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I always am down after the holidays. Maybe the holiday letdown is hitting you too. Also, 2 -3 liters of water is not that much. I don't remember the formula for determining how much you should be drinking, but I'm pretty sure 2 liters is not enough for you. I drink 4-6 liter bottles of water per day. Even drink during the night when I get up to pee. Can't help myself. I don't drink any soda unless we are out (not often) but I do have 2-3 mugs of coffee in the morning and cocoa &/or tea at night. In the summer I drink tons of decaf ice tea in addition to my coffee and water. Can't stand plain water but I drink flavored seltzer (no sweetners) even though all the plans say not to. The seltzer never slowed my weight loss. I don't know why the plans say not to drink it, they never give a reason. Maybe you can get more water down if you try adding a bottle of seltzer. Just let most of the bubbles out (I leave the top off till it's almost flat) or you'll explode from all the carbonation!

The best way to get rid of water is to drink more. It really works.

Good luck,
Barb
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Luscious,
Hang in there! For the swollen ankles (mine get pretty bad in summer, too) my husband raised the foot of our bed and it works wonders. I used to put a phone book under the mattress but this is a lot better. You just have to put two small squares of wood under the legs of your bed, that way your feet will be at a higher level than your heart.
For the thinning hair, take Biotin. It works great for hair and nails.
Try to KISS (keep it simple) for a couple of weeks. Just meat, eggs, veggies, salad and if you are on OWL, low glycemic fruits. I would stop the macadamias (they can have sodium).
Let us know if you see any changes!
Good luck to you.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:11

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Just a quick observation here.....

I believe macadamia nuts are salted, correct? Maybe this is contributing to your water retention?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:32

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

Sounds like a possible food intolerance, as well. What's a typical day's menu for you? Have you added any foods recently that may be contributing to a reaction?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 22:05
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I do drink plenty of water.. at least 2-3 litres a day.

Hiya Luscious,

In our summers, 2-3 litres is not nearly enough. We probably perspire about that much. The formula we use is 2 litres + 250 mL for every 25 pounds you need to lose. That would mean you should be drinking at least 3 litres before factoring in our nasty humid summers.

I can't tell you exactly how much to drink, but you need enough so that your urine stays pale all day. In case you're interested, I'm averaging around 5 to 6 L at the moment.

HTH!

Roz
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 01:58

BF:
Default I'll hang in there

Thanks all for your replies. I'll just hang in there and keep an eye on things. Have changed nothing in my eating habits, and 3 litres of water is probably the minimum I would drink. I am taking in more the last few days.

I do not buy salted nuts.. only the raw variety. I stuck to a protein drink and 1 pancake (made with WPI, egg and flaxseed meal) for breakfast, a tin of tuna in olive oil and salad, 1/4 avocado, and 40g of raw macadamia nuts for lunch.. dinner is almost always cabbage or other vege and lean meat. A nice dollop of cream and sugar free jello for desert.

Still swollen today, but not quite so grumpy This too will pass, literally.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 09:35
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The protien drinks and LC pancakes could be triggering cravings and making you want to eat more.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 09:47

Stats: 270/225/145 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 36%

The protein drinks and LC pancake may contain some chemicals that your body is reacting to.

The only way to know for sure is to experiment.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 10:04

Plan: slow and local
Stats: 150/133.2/100 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 34%

Also, you might try eating some nice asparagus - a natural diuretic. I'm sure there are other veggies out there that can do the same thing.

Did you have any extra carbs over the holidays?? If I go over my carb allotment, I retain water like CRAZY.