Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 09:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Kathy, I am a computer geek (like my signature says) but I do not mess with graphics or HTML (internet stuff) I am to busy learning and studying everything else, sorry. My fiance is but you mentioned that you already found someone.

Suzzee2003, I understand that I can replace the sugar cravings with items with AS but my issue is deeper than that. I will then crave the SF stuff and eat it all just because it's sweet. So for me I actually have to remove all sweet things and make no alternative. This had never happened before. My first big cheat was over Christmas and ever since then it's been real bad. I took the L-Glutamine last night before supper and I think it worked. It was either that or my will power, actually I only thouhgt about sweets once last night and that was right before bed.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 11:07

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 273/268.6/165 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Me, Me, Me!!! I want to join too! I just found this site and I LOVE it! It is exactly what I need. I started my induction on Jan. 2, 2004, so I am 4 days cheatfree!!! Trust me, I need all the praises I can get. LOL

My rules:
1. No more than 20 carbs per day.
2. At least 80 oz of water a day.
3. No Caffeine!!!
4. Workout at least 4x a week
5. Eat breakfast everyday. (Yuck!)

I am sure as I pass the induction stage, my rules will greatly increase, but this is a good starting point for me.
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 11:44
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%

Thanks for the encouragement, Nawchem!

#94   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 12:43

BF:

Just want to vent at the moment. Yesterday I was extremely tired again in the afternoon. I took my potassium but still didn't help. I think it was the SF turtle that I had. So today will be the first lunch with L-Glutamine I hope it curves the sweet craving so that I can find out if that is why I am so tired in the afternoon. Does anyone have any suggestions about this issue? All I had for lunch yesterday was a 2 cup salad (romaine and green leaf mixed) ceaser dressing 2 tbls., cheese, and mushrooms, and a peice of chicken breast with season salt for flavor and of course a RS SF turtle.

Last edited by adukart : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 12:45.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 14:32
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Welcome Gothicmom, I visited your website, very nice stuff!

I love the Lady Jayne Teacups in the little rose suitcase. (MY bday coming up). Is that your bestseller?

Last edited by nawchem : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 14:37.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:11
Registered Member

Plan: Eat to Live
Stats: 200/200/115 Female 5'4
BF:29%/28%/20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adukart
Just want to vent at the moment. Yesterday I was extremely tired again in the afternoon. I took my potassium but still didn't help. I think it was the SF turtle that I had. Does anyone have any suggestions about this issue?

Hi Adukart,

For me, SF does the same thing as sugar does -- in other words, my body reacts the same to artificial sugar as it does to real sugar. I learned that the hard way. So I never lost cravings while I was still ingesting artificial sweetners.

As far as being tired, it may be that you are feeling low blood sugar effects, from not eating sugar. I read an article that said your body is feeling low blood sugar, if you feel tired, and/or have that strong hunger that makes you nauseas. To combat this, the article suggested taking one (only 1) sweet tart -- or one or two (only!) Smarties. That should not throw you out of ketosis, yet it should make you feel better. (This has worked for me.) I'll look for the article -- I've been meaning to reread it anyway.

Here is the article -- when I reread it, I noticed you can take up to 5 smarties, but one or two has been working for me.

http://www.geocities.com/jenny_the_bean/twogramcure.htm

Hang in there

Last edited by Lammie22 : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 16:25.
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:53

BF:

Thanks for that article. I think I found the answer at the bottom. I am taking extra potassium but I have just lately increased my water by about 40 oz. usually drunk in the morning. For example this morning alone I drank 80 oz. and again was tired this afternoon. I will either need to decrease my water in the morning or increase more potassium. I also got another answer from that article. If you search my posts, I had posted early on that I was getting cramps. They went away without me noticing the solution, it was the fact that I added potassium. I will definatly try less water tomorrow and it may not help right away so I will try for a couple days.
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 21:17

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 208/185/150 Male 5ft 9'
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hey everyone, three days along and doing great.. I hope that when my weigh day (sat.) comes I will be down some!!!
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 21:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

Hey Adukart:

"usually drunk in the morning"

are you really? Is that what happens when you drink water? No wonder you are tired in the afternoon. LOL

2BE-Able- way to go. Keep on going.
angie

Last edited by angieK : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 21:26.
  #100   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 23:04
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

lol angie I had to re-read that twice too.

adukart do you take any Lasix or other type of diuretic with the potassium? Just wondering. I knew about the effects of low K+ for years even before becoming a nurse, my brother when we were little had terrible charley horse cramps. The doc told my mom to increase his K+ intake and so 1/2 banana a day was enough to do it for him. You might also not want to decrease your daily intake of water, just spread it out more. You may be flushing out your system too quickly after taking your meds in the morning. Wait about 1-2 hours after you take it so it's a little better absorbed. Do you take a SR (sustained release) form of K+?

One more thing--you aren't diabetic are you? That article can be misleading. The reason they tell people with diabetes to drink OJ then eat crackers and p-butter or cheese is that they usually have such a low BS that they need the "quick fix" of the OJ and then the more stabilizing longer lasting effect of the crackers and protein.
  #101   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 23:23
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm hypoglycemic what works really for me are the combination foods- fiber with protein and carbs. One tablespoon of peanut butter is good or a lowcarb tortillas. Sometimes when its really bad I eat rolled oats just a half a serving. Unless you're blood sugar drops really fast, you don't need to eat pure sugar to get out of it.

What do you guys think could be causing my toe cramps. These last few weeks I have them almost everyday. I take supplements equal to 100% calcium and magnesium on top of a multivitamin and 2 99mg potassiums. I do drink 3-4 liters of water a day. Can being low on iron cause it?

Well I made it through another day. So glad I'm not doing this alone.
  #102   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 06:57

Stats: 265/230/150 Female 67
BF:don't want 2 know
Progress: 30%

Good morning all. Day 7...woohoo.. a whole week of no cheating. Went to Walmart yesterday and they have this area full of Low Carb items.. My eyes just about popped outta my head.. I can't believe all the stuff they have. I grabbed some low carb peppermint patties that have only .1g of carbs. Let me jsut say YUUUUUUUUM! My dh tasted them and said they were really good. I can't believe I can have candy. I see some of you guys talk about the lowcarb stuff but til yesterday I didn't know where to find it. (thank you Atkins) I can eat candy again.
Have a healthy day.
  #103   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 08:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%

w82bthin:
Be careful, those things tend to stall people. They are good for once in a while.
angie
  #104   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 09:37

BF:

LOL, angieK, I wasn't sure how to spell it or the correct way to write so I took a shot, is that wrong, should it be drunken, or drinken, or drank?

nursey15, I do not take lasix or anything like that and I am not diabetic. I take two 90 (I think it's mg) potassium pills at noon, either before or after lunch whenever I remember. How do you know if you have a SR potassium?

nawchem, thanks for the suggestion but I do not want to and am really not able to snack in the afternoon while I'm at work. I am usually very busy. Have you asked your toe cramp question in the health section. I usually get good answers from there.
w82bthin, them candy's also make you go to the bathroom and cause me alot of gas.
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 11:33
Contributing Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 36/23.42/10 Female 64  inches
BF:160/151/120
Progress: 48%
Talking Check It Out

Hey there how we all doing? Great I hope! Look at my cheatfree sign ...I spotted it from someone who posted in my journal...its definately fitting for this challenge...Nursey is getting Boos to make us an unique sign...I decided Im gonna use this one while waiting for the other.

If anyone would like it..the image command is

[ IMG]http://www.pinecrestdesigns.com/star/01.jpg[ /IMG]

Again with no spaces between the [ ]

Again like the last time ya wanna change the number accordingly..01.jpg,02.jpg,03.jpg and so forth..

Have a wonderful day everyone!!

Love,
Glim