Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default The new Fitday software?

Link to it here

Just curious: has anyone tried it? I like the food submenus, the measurement graph, and the calorie breakdowns by meal, but it's useful to let others see what I'm doing wrong or right.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 12:58

Stats: 170/169/160 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Fitday Software

Hmmm! Sounds interesting and I'd like to see it. Alas, I am a Mac person and their system requirements list only PC's. I may take a look at it from my office computer (I'm the only user) and download it there. Will follow your post to see what others have to say about it. Thanks for the link.

Best/SudsK
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 13:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Very interesting, but I'm not sure that I'd find it any more useful than the current free Fitday program that I'm using online. Many of the reports and such that they tout in the version they want you to pay for are also available in the online version.
Still...if privacy is important to you (and even then you don't have to make your online Fitday journal public), it might be worth the 20 bucks.
I wonder if this means that they are planning to discontinue the free online service that they currently have?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:00

Stats: 300/300/195 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 0%

That's the concern I have about it. I'm pretty worried that at some point, they'll discontinue the free service, or I'll get cut off internet access. On the one hand, it's only $20 right now, on the other, it's still free and a lot of the features are the same, if a bit more cumbersome.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 15:57

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:

Well, I tend to be pretty anal about stuff like this, and I think it looks pretty good. The mere fact that I can enter ingredients in a recipe is reason enough to buy it. It also looks like the features are more advanced than in the free version. As Delilah mentioned, the free version is cumbersome, to say the least.

I'll think about it for a couple days, but I'm probably going to order it. I'm wondering if there are free updates from time to time for it. Hmmmmm.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:44

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

If they now measure things in grams and not those 'cups' which drive everyone this side of the Atlantic up the wall, I'll buy it!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 13:50
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

I wish they had a time limited demo package. I never buy any software from the web without trying it out first...

What I would love is a diet software which has a "lite" version for PC handhelds/palm pilots, which could be synced to the master version on my PC.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:18

BF:

I'm 99% sure I'm going to order this tomorrow, so after I play with it for a couple days, I'll let everyone know what it's like.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 08:32

BF:

I've downloaded the FitDay PC and have started using it. It's really quite good. Of course, it takes a while to get used to things, but that's true with any new software.

It has a great overview section that shows on one screen your average percentages over time (you pick the timespan, like the past week or the past month), your daily weight loss, a graph that shows your projected weight loss (based on numbers you enter) from start to goal, number of calories burned based on number of calories eaten based on your custom day of activity, etc.

I've only been using it for a little over an hour, but I would recommend it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 08:47
Registered Member

Stats: 295/285/225 Male 6'1''
BF:
Progress: 14%

With the web based fitday I found the food data entry to be slow and cumbersome. How does the new software feel in that regards?

Thanks
Jason
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 10:33

BF:

As I said, it takes a little getting used to because it's not the same as the online version. Once I learn all the shortcuts (and there seem to be quite a few), it will be a cinch.

It doesn't have a "recent" category, but it does have a place to insert (drag and drop) your "favorites." For example, we eat pork cutlets frequently. For me to dig down to find this each time is a pain. So, I did it once, and then dragged and dopped it into my favorites.

Easy!

Last edited by Karen : Tue, Jan-06-04 at 10:39. Reason: To change white fonts into black fonts
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 12:03
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default new software......does it have

custom recipes? and, more importantly, can you somehow copy & paste the ones from the free version over to it or would you have to start all over again?
I just had a free trial deal from Diet Power so I accepted the free CD to see what it looks like but I am totally satisfied with FitDay........just hopelessly adrift on the few times it was offline for one reason or another.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 15:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasert
can you somehow copy & paste the ones from the free version over to it or would you have to start all over again?

Someone on another thread contacted Fitday and was told that this functionality is not currently available, but might be in the future. I didn't have all that many custom foods, so it's not a big deal to re-enter them. I'll just do it a little at a time.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 15:29
Renaissance Man

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 298/197.5/185 Male 66 inches
BF:26.08
Progress: 89%
Default Phooooey.........That is how I got around

the nonsense of stoooopid defaults for quantities and other glitches that I found using it all the time.
I simply created a whole bunch of 'custom' recipes which often were just foodstuffs I keep coming back to.
I also discovered I could make a whole recipe for something then label it with a name and quantity like "Zorro's Chili (8X.125 servings) and I would know exactly what to enter whenever I ate a portion.
I sure hope they don't abandon the free version if they aren't going to make the sold one as good.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 16:05

BF:

Lasert, you might have misunderstood me. So far, I think the downloaded version is much better than the free version.

Yes, you have to start over and enter your custom foods and recipes again, but it's not that big a deal. If you don't want to do that, stick with the online one. It more than suffices for most people's needs.