Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 142/128/126 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default interesting grocery visit

Stopped by the grocery store on the way home from work today and picked up a box of splenda packets. As the cashier was ringing up my stuff, the guy bagging the groceries said, "Are you sure you wouldn't like a 5lb bag of sugar? They are on sale for 99 cents." Of course I said no thank you and he said that no one was buying sugar anymore. Also, the guy in line behind me was also buying a huge box of splenda.
One of the women who works in the bakery was wandering around the store with fresh loaves of bread which she was pushing for 99 cents. Just say no! Ha! Our numbers are steadily growing....
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:51

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

hehehe
That is sooo funny! I knew the bread people was having a time. Now we will probably hear about the sugar people and their loss in sales. Maybe the candy people next then the snack people. Unless they all change the way they make things and the sugar people get into splenda or something.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:53

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%
Talking Sugar Bags

Hah! The guy would've LOVED to have me there!!!

My DH eats sugar...he doesn't have any weight problem and his metabolism is really active...I just bought another TEN POUND bag for him yesterday!!!! (He eats bread too......lucky....)

Last edited by DerBlumers : Mon, Jan-05-04 at 19:56.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:57
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I saw something interesting at the grocery store today too. Some guy buying about 10 lbs of meat a low carb cookbook and a 5lb bag of sugar. Just looked so odd to me lol. I wanted to comment on the cookbook and give him a website for some low carb recipes, but then I decided to just keep my mouth shut.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 20:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

don't ya'll almost feel like we're part of an underground club or something???
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 18:12
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

Yes! Ain't it GREAT?!?
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 18:34

Stats: 276/265/200 Female 5 foot 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 14%

You all are just to funny! I also was in the grocery store right before Christmas and there was a man there getting a price check on Atkins Bread. Everything he had was LC....including the ice cream. I commented on it and he told me had lost over 200 pounds so the $4.79 for the loaf of bread...well worth it!!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 01:01

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Ha,ha!!

I feel like I have a split personality when I'm shopping! My husband is 6'5" and 200lbs--eats like a trucker, anything and everything! Loads of sandwiches--3-4 sandwiches for a SNACK! We have 3 sons that have skinny genes, too. Our oldest son is 14, 6' tall and 128 lbs!! They all eat 'normal' high carb. But, I do try to always provide complex carb rather than simple. SOOOO, my point is when shopping last week I bought 2 boxes of Splenda AND a 10lb bag of sugar! Also, all my lc stuff and loaves and loaves of bread, rice, pasta, etc. If the check out girl is LC, she must be looking at my fat ass and feeling sorry for me, not realize 90% of the food isn't even for me!!

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 03:06
Modified :)

Stats: 242/223/175 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkil
Ha,ha!!
I feel like I have a split personality when I'm shopping!

I'm totally the same, although we don't have LC branded products in supermarkets in the UK (yet! - The 2 biggest pharmacy chains have started though ) - basket full of meat, butter, pork rinds, etc etc, then the rolls, milk and stuff that SWMBO has asked me to get her.

Always feels weird!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 05:27

Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%

I tend to line my cart by carb and low carb products. For some reason, I feel it is neccessary to separate the items. Carb stuff for my son (who announced last night that he is thinking of going low carb) and low carb stuff for me.

My son doesn't need to lose weight but after me being on a low carb diet for a year and a half, he is thinking this may be the way to go.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-07-04, 07:55
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

I wish someone had explained to me when I was a teenager that it was not a given that your body could digest sugar/starch ad nauseum. Had I known about insulin resistance, perhaps I would not have eaten as I did 20-25 year ago.\

The grocery clerk who know about this WOE must be shaking their heads. There is a mixture of people going at it half-Adkins and those buying for family divisions.

I did berate a woman who was purchasing the Carb "Smart" HFCS ice cream, and she put it back. That stuff is just nasty.