Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:46

Plan: atkins
Stats: 132/129/120 Female 65 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 25%
Default A couple of questions from a newbie

I had such terrible reaction to beginning induction that I am now thinking about trying to "step down" my carbs. Has anyone else tried to do this and been successful? I'm guessing that I was eating so many carbs that my body just couldn't take the quick drop to 20 grams or less per day. I had planned to just quit Atkins altogether - and just eat healthier - but after doing some more thinking about it, I wonder if I should just take it a little slower. I know that the prevalent wisdom is to quit "cold turkey" but there is no way I would have been able to function at work feeling like I did yesterday (on my 3rd day of induction).

Also, I had a terrible time trying to find something palatable for breakfast. I never could stomach eggs first thing in the morning - in fact I usually always waited to eat breakfast until I got to work because my stomach just wasn't ready for food until I've been up at least an hour. I usually have a cup of instant oatmeal and a cup of tea for breakfast. On induction, I ate eggs for breakfast for two mornings in a row and thought I was going to be sick!

One last question. I am confused about just what is and is not acceptable during induction. In the Atkins New Diet Revolution book one place says nothing that is not on the "acceptable foods" list is allowed and another place lists a sample induction menu and zucchini bread was on it. I also saw that berries aren't allowed until later on in the diet but I read somewhere else that berries with cream are a good snack for any phase of the atkins. Also seems like I read somewhere that the Atkins snack bars and shakes are not allowed during induction but, again, they showed up in the sample induction menu. It sure would be helpful if the recipes in the book told you whether or not they are acceptable for induction phase. We're cranky enough from giving up our favorite foods without having to try and solve the puzzle of just what we can and can't eat (at least I was)!!!

HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 12:52

Stats: 218/218/150 Female 62
BF:
Progress:

I don't have any answers for you but thought I read the same inconsistencies in the book. I wasn't sure if I could have something or not and would reread to be sure I didn't skip some paragraph or something. I sure feel like some berries and cream would give me some pep.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:58

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%

As far as breakfast goes, there is no law that says you must have "breakfast food" for breakfast. I've never been big on breakfast food, although I have learned to make a mean omelette. Have a piece of chicken, a pork chop, hot italian sausages, whatever....it doesn't have to be eggs.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 18:15

Plan: atkins personalized
Stats: 210/216/170 Female 5'7"
BF:hell/if/iknow
Progress: -15%
Default Same Question About The Bars

I Have Been On Induc For Over 3 Months And Is Just Discovered The Wonders Of The Advantage Bars Is That Really Going To Affect The Woe On This Phase Of The Diet, Or Is It Okay To Eat Those?

P.s. Tried The Chicken Wrap(atkins Friendly) ~ Subway And Omg It Was Soooooo Good!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:04

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default One idea...

hehebee,

somewhere (sorry, I do not have my Atkins book at hand) Atkins suggests cutting back to 60g of carbs a day at first when you don't have much weight to lose.
For carb addict people the best way the "cold turkey", but if you do not craving carbs, only more variety of food, you can go on the ongoing weightloss phase.

(P.S.: Average people eat over 300+ carbs a day. Most of them would loose weight simply by cutting back to 100-200 for example by giving up sodas?)

Regarding breakfast: I love fish for breakfast. In my small grill it's ready in 5 minutes. Different spices, vegies - unlimited variation.

Last edited by Galadriell : Mon, Jan-05-04 at 19:34.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 19:12
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I had a lot more than 10 pounds to lose, but I never did Induction -- I just gradually stepped down my carbs until I got to a level I felt comfortable with. First I gave up white sugar and white flour, and then I started cutting back from there. If you think you can do it that way, try it. It works for some people, but not for others.

My favorite fast weekday breakfast is some cottage cheese mixed with some blueberries or strawberries. This is not permitted on induction, but it's fine for ongoing weight loss, so if you just start with ongoing weight loss it may work for you. Berries are lower in carbs than most other fruits and are very good for you. If you don't like cottage cheese, you could also try a piece of hard cheese for breakfast.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-04, 07:26

Stats: 132/129/120 Female 65 inches
BF:no idea
Progress: 25%

Thanks for all the great advice. Cottage cheese and berries sounds YUMMY for breadfast. The last two days I've been eating oatmeal but I think I'll try the berries and cottage cheese. I realized that I'm not a failure just because I am not sticking strictly to the induction phase of Atkins. I feel that as long as I am working on my goals of eating better and losing a little weight then I'm on the right track. I've always been pretty competitive and the feeling that other people can do this (induction) and that I didn't feel like I could was hard to swallow (no pun intended ) at first but now I'm ok with it. My hubby and I are still drastically cutting our carbs and I am now more aware than ever of just WHAT I'm putting in my mouth! I've already lost 3 pounds and am feeling better than I have in a long time.

Thanks again,
Hehe