Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 00:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%
Default Teaching Kids

Hi! I'm a Den Leader for some Webelos Scouts, and this next month we need to talk about nutrition. The Scout Handbook has a whole section about the Food Pyramid, which I don't want to teach! Anyone have ideas for resources for teaching a truly balanced diet to a bunch of 9 yo boys? (I've already found some articles regarding the faults of the Pyramid which I plan to hand to the parents.) Anyone remember what the old "4 Food Groups" thing looked like?
Thanks for any help,
Peach
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:37

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

Don't know if this will help but I though I'd share what I explain to my 8 yo daughter (she's into eating healthy and I'm also trying to combat the "diet" mentality that her peers are starting to take to).

#1 rule noting is bad, there is nothing you can NEVER have. MODERATION is the key. Sugar (and/or processed foods) are not particularly good for you but being a kid sugar is going to get eaten-- you can't avoid b-day parties, summer afternoon ice cream cones or the occasional spontaneous trip to Mickey D's. This type of thing though is a rare treat and isn't appropriate or healthy to consume morning noon and night.

#2 PROTEIN is VERY important. We need to have protein at every meal. Protein isn't just chicken, beef, pork, etc. It can be found in cheese, nuts, eggs, etc. Protein is good for growing kids and really helps with concentration and sleepiness.

#3 carbs are important but the HEALTHY carbs (she does not need to loose weight). Things like white bread and processed foods are really just the same as eating a cupcake in terms of the effect on your body. Again, we can eat them occasionally but not too often and not as a stand alone meal (i.e. white toast with jelly doesn't cut it. Pair it up with a hard boiled egg, cheese or some other form of protein. Keep it to a rare treat and try for 1 slice instead of 2 or 3). Wheat bread, brown rice, an occasional potato and other such things are the preferable choices for every-day foods.

A GREAT source of carbs is fruits and veggies (here's where I agree with the food pyramid on the min 5 servings per day). 1-2 servings should be had with EVERY meal. This should be your first choice as a source of carbs.

#4 contrary to what the dieting kids say at school fat is NOT bad for you. It is very essential in order for one's body and brain to function properly. Natural fats are essential and should be consumed with every meal. Fat from goodies-- cakes, cookies, etc. (meaning accompanied by a refined/sugary carb) is what should be consumed in moderation.

#5 Water is VERY important! That should be the first choice for a beverage and I recommend her to have at least 3 small bottles per day. Milk is the second choice for a beverage. Pop and fruit juices are essentially the same thing-- pure sugar. This is a treat to have occasionally but should not be consumed daily/regularly to quench thirst.

Basically in a nutshell-- all meals should contain a protein, "good" carb (choosing from the fruit/veggie variety first) and a fat. The protein should be the largest portion, good carb the second largest and a good fat coming in last. Water should be the beverage of choice for most meals. Sugary treats are saved for "occasions" however, there are many other types of treats to be had on a regular basis. For instance, fruits (even with whipped cream), nuts, natural yogurt with frozen berries, nuts (I make buttered pecans with a touch of Splenda for her that satisfy the sweet tooth) and many, many other things.

I feel for you! It's one thing explaining this to my own children but having to explain this to OTHER peoples children?! Don't know if anything I said will actually help in that situation! Do let us know how that parents take to it.

Last edited by sunspine17 : Mon, Jan-05-04 at 10:40.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:53

Stats: 144/117/115 Female 5' 3.5
BF:
Progress: 93%

Thanks! Your notes are very helpful. I'm going to print them to give me a guide. Thank you for taking the time! I don't have to teach this nutrition segment of the Fitness badge for another couple of weeks, so I'll let you know how it goes.
Peach
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 20:10

Plan: Medifast/Atkins
Stats: 296/166/135 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 81%

Oh my....I'm having the same problem. I'm den leader to a group of Tiger Cubs and Bear Cubs, and yes, we have to do the nutrition thing. Doesn't help that the week I start my family on the low carb family plan, their school does the "pyramid nutrition" thing. UGH. Anyways...I'm going to monitor this post and see what the suggestions are too. I have this "guilt" thing that I'm going to wrongfully lead these kids in the wrong direction when I know the pyramid is wrong..eeee gads! lol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 23:57

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

If I were going to create a food pyramid, it would not be a pyramid, it woud be a square. The square would have 4 mini squares. The food groups would be protein/meat/fats ( sq 1 )
vegetables ( sq 2 ) low glycemic fruits ( sq 3 ) and whole grains ( sq 4 ). I would not list how often these foods should be eaten, who pays attention to that anyway? Over to the side of the square I would have white rice, flour, potatoes, sugar and other sweets should be restricted if it is desirable to avoid insulin resistance and weight problems. I would also list exercise as a food group.

Last edited by black57 : Fri, Feb-06-04 at 00:00.