Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:15

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%
Default DATELINE - NBC - The Ultimate Diet Challenge

Right now (started at 6PM central) is Dateline's Ultimate Diet challenge where 6 people tried 6 diet plans for 10 months. One fellow did Atkins. It will be interesting to see how he did compared to the others.

Joan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:30
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Well looking good so far ouy of all the people on different diets Our atkins boy almost tripled the weight loss of the others (except 1 of them which he doubled). WOOOHOOO for us. they will be back to tell us how well they are doing today and if they have stuck to it . I will keep you posted
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:58
Registered Member

Plan: Dr Atkins
Stats: 175/161/140 Female 5 ft 4in
BF:
Progress: 40%

Ok yup he did it. in a year he exceded his goal of losing 100 pounds which is still more than triple what everyone else did.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 18:58

Whoo hoooo! The Atkins guy lost 108 lbs! He came in second out of six after a woman who lost 30 lbs BUT ran a marathon - that's why they gave her first place.

Sixth place - slim fast! The guy was always hungry. No surprise there!

Check out msnbc.com for more info on the dieters.

Joan
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 19:04

Plan: portioned protein lowcarb
Stats: 240/182/189 Male 73
BF:
Progress: 114%

what the heck? Our man obviously smoked the rest of them. They tried their best to avoid giving the Atkins diet its deserved credit.
Another example of the media lying to the people.

Rock on Atkins Brothers and Sisters!
Atkins Rules!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 19:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

I knew the Atkins guy would lose the most, but was a bit disappointed at the end of the program when he was the only one who said he wasn't sure if he would continue on with his new WOE!

Good program! I wish they would've said more about the Atkins diet, tho, afterall this guy is the one that lost the most!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 20:02

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Here's the link. Let's complain about the decision because the Atkins man won by SO MUCH! http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3841501/
Link doesn't work & you must be subscribed to get anywhere.

Last edited by tofi : Sun, Jan-04-04 at 20:08.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 20:25
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I think the decision was fair. Yes the other woman only lost 30 pounds, which was her goal, but she also made huge goals fitness wise. Weight loss isn't the only part to being healthy. She overcame injury and pushed herself to finish a marathon.

Yes the Atkins guy lost the most actually exceding his goal, and he exercised regularly, but I don't think he overcame quite the same obsticals. Of course it could of also been the spin the news report put on it.

I can also see why the Atkins guy may or may not continue. He was getting the Atkins at home meals delivered instead of developing good eating habits on his own. He was also sticking to 20g a day induciton while carbo loading at 70g before a race. While he lost all the weight, it just seems like they were setting him up to lose fast, but not be able to make it a way of life.

I also have the complaint while they did state it was high fat not just high protien, they didn't mention the tons of veggies you are suposed to have (they did show veggies on his plate). He also was eating 4 cheeseburgers as a snack :P Only guys can get away with that one.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:03
Registered Member

Stats: 314/195/180 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 89%

Sorry LadyBelle.....
This is one guy who definately can't get away with eating 4 cheeseburgers as a snack. I have to watch calories pretty closely even though I do a vigorous workout routine 7 days a week. As for who should have won...
I feel that they made the right choice. I was so happy that our Atkins boy did so well, but to run a 26 mile marathon after only a year of training???? Man I can only dream of accomplishing such a feat even after I reach my goal weight. Hats off to the winner. I think she deserved it without a doubt.
Dave
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:12

Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

I agree, the lady who won definetly topped out at all of her goals!! Although the Atkins guy came in at a close second!! It was a good show! The hypnotised man was the one who surprised me. I wonder how much of that was the hypnotist and how much of that was just the man by himself!

Bug
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:15
Living Healthy

Stats: 281.4/239.4/145 Female 5'4"
BF:imp/rov/ing
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyBelle
I also have the complaint while they did state it was high fat not just high protien, they didn't mention the tons of veggies you are suposed to have (they did show veggies on his plate). He also was eating 4 cheeseburgers as a snack :P Only guys can get away with that one.

That was exactly my complaint. Overall though I was very pleased with the coverage.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 06:31

Quote:
I knew the Atkins guy would lose the most, but was a bit disappointed at the end of the program when he was the only one who said he wasn't sure if he would continue on with his new WOE!

That's what scares me. I'm afraid he'll think, "I've lost the weight so I can stop the diet," and go back to eating the way he ate before and regain the weight. Then Atkins will get the bad rap again. "Oh, it doesn't work, you'll regain the weight."

Dateline is going to check up on the 6 people again in a year. Hope our guy doesn't blow it for us.

Joan
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 08:20
Registered Member

Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

It must have been leaked that the Atkins guy lost 108 pounds. I had read that on other message boards.

Seems like Dateline needed the visual of the woman on the marathon. What visual would they have had with the Atkins guy: some guy sitting around eating steak or chicken or an omlette? The woman was the easy, emotional favorite.

I felt sorry for the guy on Slimfast and the woman who was working with a consultant to get to her inner issues, or whatever she was doing. The Slimfast guy is sitting their drinking, basically, sugar. The woman seemed mired in psychobabble; I was surprised she lost as much as she did.

The woman on Weight Watchers did about you would be expect from starving yourself. (I got a kick out of her saving up her "points" early in the show to use them to on wine!) She validated that people can lose a modest amount on WW by, basically, starving themselves. I think she came in 5th? My problem with WW is that it was correct in the late 60s, early 70s when it recommended avoiding potatoes, rice, bread, cereal, and other sugary products. WW then jumped on the "branwagon, changing to recommend avoiding fats. Now, I understand that is has a low carb knockoff. I don't trust WW any more than the American Diabetes Assn. or the American Heart Assn.

Overall, from what Dateline showed, the Atkins guy did not really seem to grasp the tenets of this WOE. I wondered if he had read the book. Disappointing--for him--by his lackluster commitment to continuing this way of eating. Hopefully, again for him, he will not revert and put all that weight back on by the time Dateline checks in next year.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:00
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

The one thing that this show did for me was to motivate me. Every one worked hard to lose... Because it is hard to lose, no matter what plan they were on. One of the guys said at the end, that it was the hardest thing he has ever done in his life. We all know that to be true.
I was very impressed with the show. I was dissapointed at the Atkins guy for not praising the program, and saying he didn't know if he would make it his WOE for good. Seems kinda foolish.... but he was noted to be kind of a hard head at the beginning of the program... ( under his year book pic...caption..."anybody want their face punched in?) maybe he found it hard to let people know he would totally commit to something. Who knows?? Fact is he lost the most, on foods he said he loved!!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 09:16

Stats: 325/325/190 Male 68 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

What was with this menu, sure is a lot a peanuts, even for a whole meal?

Rick Burnes - Atkins Diet
Goal: 150 pounds
Lost: 108 pounds
Notes: When noting peanuts, there are usually a few ounces of pistachios or cashews. Also meal times are not typical because Rick works the night shift. He uses 'Ken's creamy Caesar' salad dressing, which has no carbs.
Day one
Breakfast: Atkins pancakes and coffee
Lunch: Salad with tuna, chicken and peanuts
Dinner: Three eggs with pepperoni, cheese and coffee

Day two
Breakfast: Atkins shake
Lunch: Three cheeseburgers with Atkins steak sauce
Dinner: Three 'Wendy's Jr. Bacon Cheeseburgers,' no ketchup, no buns

Day three
Breakfast: Four eggs with cheese and peanuts
Lunch: Steak
Dinner: Five cheeseburgers with lettuce and tomato

Day four
Breakfast: Coffee
Lunch: Approximately 20 chicken wings
Dinner: 'Wendy's Chicken BLT' with salad and a block of sharp cheese

Day five
Breakfast: Three eggs and cheese omelets with peanuts
Lunch: Approximately three pork chops with salad
Dinner: Two bacon cheeseburgers

Day six
Breakfast: Ham and cheese roll-ups with peanuts
Lunch: Atkins shake and five beers
Dinner: Two cheeseburgers, steak and salad

Day seven
Breakfast: Bacon and eggs
Lunch: Peanuts
Dinner: Chicken, sausage and broccoli (cookout)