Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/199/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Third Try

I am wondering if this is for me. This is third time I've done Induction in a year, and it surely works for weight loss. 10-20 lbs each time for me and I want to lose 50. However, I don't have that energetic feeling that is touted in the book - in fact, I'm a total slug. I am doing it all exactly right. But even worse, while I am not hungry, I am not satisfied at all. I'm doing it this time (7 lbs in a few days - water, I know), my plan is to get a good start on the weight loss for a couple of weeks, then switch to another diet that is not lo-carb. I cannot imagine not eating carbs for the rest of my life (limiting to 50/g/day). Are there some people that this just doesn't work for?

Thanks for any thoughts.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 14:41
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

While I agree that there are some people that this eating style does not work for, I would not put you in that catagory. You know that you do lose when following this life style. Its just learning to stick with it. The tired feeling you are haveing my be your body still readjusting to the new eating style, or maybe you are lacking in vitamins? I am not sure it is a good idea to keep jumping from one eating style to another. This hasn't worked in the past, and you can't think it will work now. It is better to find one eating style, no matter what it may be and stick with it.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 16:19
Registered Member

Stats: 178/147/130 Female 157.5cm (5'2")
BF:
Progress: 65%

Remember Atkins isn't the only LC diet around. LCing obviously works for you in terms of losing weight - you might find one of the other diets is better in terms of how you feel - check out the orange quick link for a summary of other LC diets.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 17:40

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

How long did you give yourself to get energy? I mean if you stayed on the diet for 2-4 weeks and were losing quite a bit in that time frame, you body is adjusting. I mean, this plan DOES work for you but you may be losing at a rate your body needs time to come to terms almost. Quite a shock going from eating badly to eating right. Also you should post a few days menus so we can see if you are actually doing it correctly. Not to say you aren't, but some people (me included before) do not do this right even though you lose weight. That is when the sluggishness and mood swings etc kick in. Hope you let us know. But then again, if you feel this isn't for you, there are a ton of othe LC plans out there that might suit you better(Check out the CAD/CALP forum). But thinking of starting on Atkins and then moving on to another plan, will most likely backfire as introducing carbs so early will do the same thing it did to you the three other times you stopped Atkins, MAKE YOU GAIN IT ALL BACK. Good luck to you and hope you come back on here and post your menus!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 17:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hawaii...without knowing what exactly you were doing the other two times, we would just be guessing at why you felt the way you did. Were you drinking enough water? Taking the recommended supplements? Eating enough calories to sustain your BMR? How long did you stick with it each time before you felt the way you did?
If you could provide a few more details, it might help us help you avoid the same situation this time around.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 21:13

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
I cannot imagine not eating carbs for the rest of my life (limiting to 50/g/day).

Well you can get great variety at 50 grams a day. Those who follow the plan "right through to the end", most will tell you they are pretty darn close to eating what some would consider "normal". Meaning you can add in many of the foods you miss, but at "controlled and slowly added servings". If you are wanting a diet that will allow you to go back to eating the way some of us use to, then no it won't work. There is'nt a diet or plan out there that will allow us to go back to the old way of eating and maintain the weight loss. So it's important to get a clear mind about making changes for good.

Good Luck
Kathy
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 10:54

Stats: 207/199/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks for the Feedback

I'm a little confused. Why would I gain back all the weight from a low carb diet if I switch to another weight loss program? Isn't weight lost just that? If I don't put calories back into it, how would my body put the weight back on?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:02

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

for one thing, carbs hold water, so if you reintroduce a high level of carbs you'll bloat and gain weight. Go back on LC, get rid of carbs, get rid of bloat aka water weight...endless cycle. Have to stick to one or the other. Try looking at other LC programs that aren't as low as Atkins and maybe you can find a happy medium!! Good luck in your search!

Nicole
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 11:18
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Induction
Stats: 227.5/199/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Hawaii I am very new to this and just wanted to wish you luck.

The only advice I have has already been said.We must change our relationship with food and you need to find what works for you,but NO plan will allow anyone to continue eating the same way that put the weight on in the first place.

Stacy
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 18:27

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

I guess the best way to put it is that CArbs are what make most of us fat.............. I ate low fat for many years, no process foods, just good wholesome foods, yep I continued to grow and grow, could never figure out why til I discovered what Low Carb was all about.

Cheers kathy