Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 07:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 415/415/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Bathroom Ebarasing Question

I dont quite know how to broach this subject, one i can't believe I'm actually going to discuss, but the two times previous that i have tried Atkins this was always the major contributor to my quitting. As you can see I am a very big guy now, I eat alot of food. I usually have about two large BM a day. Great wonderfull grand. Now, the times that I have been on the Atkins, i have noticed a very great decrease in size of my BMs. Has anybody else noticed this before? I dont know if the protien gets used up more than the other crap I usually take in or what. I cant seem to figure it out. When I am on the atkins I will go maybe once a day, and like I said, it is generally lacking in volume and generally wattery. After a while i begin to feel constipated and bloated and like crap. I have found many ways to deal with the constipation in the forum and will be trying thoes to elivate that problem. If anyone has any experience with this i would greatly appreciate any insight. As i said before this was the deal breaker the last two times.

Thanks, have a good day, way to go USC

brian
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 07:30
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Don't be embarrassed Brian!
For me, I was okay for the first two weeks of induction, and noticed a similiar problem to you after that. I wasn't constipated, but I wasn't on a normal schedule either. I figured it was the better quality of food, that my body was using more of what I was eating, resulting in less waste. I did some baking a couple weeks ago, made these yummy almond cookies, and the nuts totally helped. I noticed a significant difference when I ate almonds, you might want to try that.
I hope that you find something that helps you, and best of luck to you on this woe!

Jenn
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 09:43

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

I agree with Jade---if you're not constipated, then it's just the better quality of food. I find too much dairy on induction causes constipation, but I'm fine if I leave out the dairy. I don't go daily either, just every couple of days.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:06

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've found that mine has umm... returned to normal again. On induction and for a few weeks after it was diffiult but its back in line now. I eat some sunflower seeds every day though. I think that helps?
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 10:21

Stats: 415/415/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress:
Default Thanks

Thanks Everyone for the quick responses to the, shall we say tender subject. Now i that i know what to expect and can get ahead of the ball on the constipation I shold be able to get over this hurdle this time

thanks again
brian
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:24

Plan: eclectic
Stats: 192/192/135 Female 67
BF:
Progress:

I'd like to add, when I switched my cats to a raw-food diet (why do we feed grains to carnivores anyway?) I noticed a side benefit that their stools were much less frequent and voluminous. In addition to their increased well-being, it's one of the best benefits, at least from a litter-scooping perspective.

Anyway, I read that, for cats at least, it's because before when they were eating grain-based dry food they were excreting most of it, while now they are using most of what they eat. So I'd expect the same is true for you. Taking out the carbs also removes a lot of bulk. Plus aren't the by-products of protien and/or fat metabolism passed more in the urine?

Good luck on the constipation remedies and don't worry about the decreased "output"!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:31
Airy Cats Eyes

Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

I find that when I take a calcium/magnesium pill in the evening, I'm "regular" in the morning...

Hope this helps, Brian! Welcome to the forum!!!

Eri Z
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 21:53

Plan: moderate carb, WW
Stats: 274/245.2/200 Male 5 feet 9 inches
BF:36%
Progress: 39%

Flax seeds sprinkled on salads, in scrambled eggs, etc seem to help me in this area. . .