Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 22:17

Plan: BFL
Stats: 275/253/125.4 Female 161
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs down Depression

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hi there! I am reading the Atkins Revolution diet and seriously thinking of starting this programme. I have been on the BFL programme which is good but because I suffer depression some days are very hard for me to keep motivated. If there are others suffering depression and want to lose their excess weight how do you plan to keep going. Some days it is very hard to keep going. I am sick of my depression. It interferes with my life so much! I am on Efexor XR which helps. Is there anyone on this site who is doing the Atkins programme with depression because I would love to hear from you. I am always tired. I believe the Atkins programme helps with tiredness. Sometimes I feel I am addicted to food and get out of control and go crazy because all I think of is food food food I was under the impression like so many of us that low fat diets were good...how wrong I have been! I am trying to reeducate myself in to believing that low fat diets are not that good because of all the carbohydrates and sugars that are in these foods are actually making me fatter.
If there is anyone who has been on Atkins for a while and would like to help me get started by being a buddy to help me get on track and help motivate me I would really appreciate your input and knowledge. How to start journalling. What sort of exercise etc etc. Because I am at my wits end at the moment and feel like ending it all to stop the thoughts I feel about myself. I said to myself yesterday morning in the mirror "Look at yourself! You are nothing but a fat slob" You are pathetic!!! Please help.....me....someone. Love to all xxxooo
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 03:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 302/296/200 Male 6'0"
BF:34%/34%/18%
Progress: 6%

Over here, over here! Atkins and depression, uppers, I'm your man. Food compulsion, I'm afraid I know that one too.
One of the things that I found the most "undepressing" was seeing the change in myself. the only reason I have a before pict is because I was too busy to stop the photographer. But after I lost the first fifteen pounds. I had a picture taken of myself. Even I notied the difference. Talk about something uplifting. Nothing is more motivating than seeing the results!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 00:24

Stats: 135/122/115 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 65%

Although I didn't need to lose a lot of weight, I started Atkins a few months ago. I did so because I had heard that it could help with depression. I had gotten so bad that I didn't care if the bills got paid (the money was in the bank, but I didn't pay the bills), I wasn't interested in playing with my kids, and we were considering hiring a babysitter even though I don't work. I was diagnosed with severe depression over 2 years ago, which became worse when I had my son. I would like to encourage you by telling you that I have been off all of my depression medication for 2 months now. If you've seen the depression commercials with the little guy that looks like a tomato to me (I think it is a Zoloft commercial), you know that he gets all happy at the end. That is now how my life is. I play with the kids, enjoy cooking again (LC of course), and our bills are getting paid again (thank goodness). I even keep the house mostly clean, which is a major improvement. I will admit that there are some evenings that I have some mild depression. It is usually around my PMS time. But there is no way I will ever go back to my old WOE. I even have a sex life with my husband, which we had both given up on. I encourage you to try it, as I had given up on life and the hope of ever being happy again. Induction was hard for me, but once I got past it, I was fine. Good luck, and I wish you all the best in whatever you decide!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 13:13

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Carbs do more than make you fat

They also contribute to the depression, at least for me. Maybe it's not exactly depression, but it's certainly brain fog, which doesn't help being depressed at all. Even if you don't lose much (which I haven't because I still eat too much), I feel so much better and think so much more clearly that I'm sticking around.

Give it a whirl, but make sure it's a real test--90 days, a year, something significant. 3 days won't make enough of a difference to be convincing.

It gets better.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 10:55

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Talking Need A Depression Buddy?

Hi Tibby,

I too have battled depression for many many years without seeking the help that I needed. That brought me to a crash (read my journal if you are interested) in November 2003. I finally admitted i needed help, ended up off work for eight weeks, and am only going back half-time, which fortunately I can afford to do.

I currently take 20mg Paxil a day, but I am meeting with my doctor to discuss upping that dosage as I still feel down and anxious. It has improved but not greatly. I also finally got myself into counselling and that is helping immensely, as it is helping me see how my perfectionistic tendencies, low self-esteem, and negative self talk is really not helping me at all. I am also finally dealing with the loss of my parents.

I know exactly what you mean about beating yourself up. I think maybe allowing my weight to get so out of control, failing to care for myself physically and mentally, and also calling myself names, only added to my depression. My life got out of control, and by addressing my weight I am trying to take back control of at least that part of my life. I am still new to low carbing, and not sure whether to Atkins or CALP...but I am taking the time to educate myself.

May I suggest you start a journal? Not only to talk about your "diet" but so that we can continue to correspond if you like You can also feel free to write to me anytime in my journal. I do know what that black evil cloud above me feels like. I do know how hard it is to have the energy to make any positive changes when the word positive is gone from my vocabulary, I know it is hard to have hope. I know that it is hard to believe that anything will work. BUt I am working so hard to put POSITIVE, OPTIMISTIC and HAPPY back into my life. Perhaps we could work on it together
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 11:22

Stats: 194/182.5/140 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

I too have chronic cyclical depression. I'm currently taking ST John's Wort and restarted this WOL. I notice a HUGE difference when I LC compared when I don't. I don't believe it's 100% the WOL, I believe it's also the mindset that I'm doing something for myself. I also have started to work on the task of retraining myself to think differently. We seem to "brainwash" ourselves into believing untruths about ourselves and our situation. I'm using the Dr Phil Weightloss Solution book. THis is such a great book!! I suggest looking online to see if this is available to you. If not, I do know that the Feeling Good Handbook is. This is alot like the Dr Phil book in it's activities. Yes, the steps needed to get out of your depression do include work on your part. But it's worth it when you know that the work gets easier with practice and it REALLY WORKS!!!
I also noticed that I feel much better when taking my vitamins. I am lazy about putting together a blend so I purchased the Dr Atkins: Essential Oils(these are awesome for depression), Dieter's Advantage, and Basic 3.
Please be assured that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. But you are going to have to stand up and get to it!
Please use this forum to keep in touch. Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it. WE ALL do at times.

Make this New Year a new and happy one!! I know you can
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 16:30

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/161.2/146 Female 5ft 6in
BF:yep, sure have !!
Progress: 82%

you have so come to the right place !!!

There are so many people on here that will help, support & motivate you !!

I started on Atkins in July 03, after years of yoyo dieting, and being diagnosed with depression Oct 02. I had a real issue with self image and feeling 'worthless' - still struggling with it today, but as the weight falls off my confidence is slowly coming back !!

I was prescribed 20mg of cipramil ( celexa) which really helped, and by Aug of this year felt strong enough to come off it, which I sucessfully managed abeit very slowly. I still have down days, but generally able to cope well !!

As for the atkins WOL, I really felt it has help curb my food binges, the biggest problem I suffered from was when something didnt go right in my life, or I was having a 'down day' I turned to food, and binged big time. that just doesnt happen any more, I seem to have a far greater control on my eating habits, which from where Im standing is a minor miracle !!.

As for your self image, try not to 'beat yourself up' about it, I know its easy for me to say that, ( like I said I still have issues) but once you start to see results, you will be so proud, feel much better about things, and start to realise you can do it !!

You say your always tired, just a thought, but have you ever had your thyriod tested ?? I suffer from an underactive thyroid and without throxine, I find it hard to function ??

As for exersize, that will also really help you, im a keen swimmer, and I swim 5 days a week, bit extreme, but even if you only swim once a week, and build up slowly, it will help you , I also feel swimming helps to keep my mood steady.

Anything I can do to help you just ask, by all means read and post to my journal - fraid its not very informative cos I just dont have the time to really go into detail as to what im eating, however there are alot of people's who are. If you really want to read an inspiring story read 'Little Anne's journal' she will really motivate you !!

Good luck, and please contact me if you want to chat, dont give up, you can so do this !!!!!

Lisa x
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 19:03

Stats: 209/209/140 Female 66 inches
BF:38%/38%/25%
Progress:

OMG!! I am not alone!
I am starting my induction diet tomorrow, but I have been reading posts every day for support and education.
I too have been diagnosed with severe depression. I was first diagnosed about 3 years ago. There was a short time that I felt much better, but then...
CRASH!!
I went on a downward spiral until I felt like I was pretty much at rock bottom. Once I hit rock bottom I pretty much felt like I was trapped and there was no way out.
Now, I am still at the bottom, but at least I can see the light and I know that there is a way out! I really do hope that the WOE will help not only with self esteem and health, but I do hope it will help with the depression. For the first time in a long time, I finally feel like I am not alone. Thanks guys!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 19:49

Plan: Superfoods RX
Stats: 270.5/228/170 Female 68.5 inches
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 42%
Talking Not Alone!

Hey Princess...there are thousands of us out here dealing with depression. "People" are saying "everyone is depressed now and seeking happy pills instead of just getting on with it". I don't think it is that at all, I think it is that FINALLY it is allowable to admit it instead of being ashamed of it and now people are coming forward and discussing it. I am no longer feeling guilty about it, and having to make meds, anymore than I ever felt guilty about needings specs or a cast!

I have never felt so hopeful in my life about finally controlling this weight now that I am trying this WOE. I admit, I am spending a LOT of time on it right now, as I have so much to learn, and coming here helps me so much, but I am sure as I get used to it, it will consume less of my life. I can only believe that as my body shrinks, my self-esteem will soar.

Best of luck to you! I am into induction about a week, but only 3 cheat free days. At least the awful, "this is a hold up, give me your bagel" cravings are over. Feel free to talk to me anytime in my journal if you like. Having a pal in this would be a big help! Margot aka mollymom
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 20:01

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

once i lost a few pounds, i thought i would be happy, happy, happy! but then reality set in! there is still life to deal with! things happen and feelings get hurt, you laugh you cry and move on. i guess i just wanted to comment that it still is a struggle....even without the weight!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 17:12
Champagne Paulie

Plan: My Fitness Pal
Stats: 156.2/123.8/120 Female 5 ft 4 ins
BF:Got some, thanks
Progress: 90%

I am taking Cipramil (Celexa). I'm on 40mg a day and have been taking it since June 2003. I have clinical depression with rears its ugly head every 2 - 3 years or so. I had put my symptoms down to just being tired and the changes we'd gone through at work, but it wasn't. By the time I went to the doctor's it was pretty bad. I was having panic attacks, wasn't sleeping, was bursting into tears for no reason - sound familiar? I was off work for nearly 5 months, but I'm back now, working my full hours again.

I think that more people are willing to own up to being depressed now. I did work with one girl who wouldn't accept she had depression because she said she didn't feel like slashing her wrists! Not everyone is enlightened.