Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205/201/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Losers who don't use Fitday???

Losers (as in weight) I mean!
Are there any of you LC'ers who DON'T use the Fitday site and are just fine witih it and still losing weight? I tried it a couple of days and it just seems to be too time consuming and requires me to think about food even more than I am!
Any thoughts would be appreciated,
Virginia
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:25
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I've never used it, for exactly the reasons you gave, and I have lost over 100 pounds. I know what I can eat in terms of carbs -- pretty much unlimited lowcarb vegetables, one or at most two servings of lowcarb fruit(usually berries, sometimes melon) a day, reasonable amounts of cheese, small amounts of nuts, and that is pretty much it. I don't need Fitday to help me keep track of that. When I first started out, I did spend some time studying charts of carb counts and that helped me figure out which foods were likely to be problematical.

I have no idea how many calories I eat each day or what percentage of my food is protein/fat/carbohydrates. I try to listen to my body and eat when I am hungry and stop eating the second I am full. It works for me.

Last edited by liz175 : Thu, Jan-01-04 at 21:26.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 21:41
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I tried, but it frustrated me no end... I got a trial offer of Diet Power, and found the same problem. It's "neat" if it lets you get things entered, but for me the appeal was limited. I try to journal what I eat, but mostly keep track on paper (if I get that organized!) or in my head. If you stick to the allowed foods in reasonable amounts, you can't go wrong. IMHO, you don't need to know the exact percentages if you follow the plan as written.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 22:29
Registered Member

Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

I use Fitday on occasion to enter ingredients for a recipe and get the nutrition values, but I find it too time consuming to try to chart every meal.

Johnie
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 22:34
Zombie Love Slave

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 247.6/231.6/160 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I use Fitday to track my carbs. I found that the lower carb food items would sneak by my radar (it all adds up!) and I was eating too many carbs in a day. I also track my calories.

It really isn't difficult to use once you get the hang of it, but it is a bit time consuming. I find the benefit outweighs any problems I have with it.

Plus it keeps me honest.

It isn't necessary to use a program like Fitday but, if you can, keep a food journal. It may come in handy if you hit a plateau or heaven forbid, gain. You can analyze your menus (or have others do so) and determine where you can make changes to get back on track.

Last edited by Smoosh : Thu, Jan-01-04 at 22:37.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 22:58

Stats: 277.5/277.5/199 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't use Fitday. I really like the idea. But it is so much bother to keep track of everything and get it entered in. I choose to simply keep mental track of carb grabs throughout the day and aim for ending the day at 20.

I wish I could be more studious about it, though. I'd love to know more details about my diet.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 23:17

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I don't use fit day all the time. I use it on occasion to check the carbs of a specific item, and if my weight loss stalls I might try putting in a couple days of food to see if there is something sneaking up on me.

Other than that, I don't feel the need to document everything I eat.

--nw
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 23:40

Stats: 206/144/135 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 87%

In the beginning I HATED fitday. I still lost A LOT of weight. I didn't use it until a couple of months in when the weight loss started to slow a bit. Then I became addicted to it and now I can't live without it! To each his own I guess!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 05:52

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

I had most of my weight loss before discovering this forum and then learning about Fitday. So no, you don't need it. You might also want to carefully read their privacy policy before you create an account and start entering your daily eating habits there.

That said, I recently began using it, and find it a pretty useful tool for catching carbs sneaking into the food supply. It's certainly helping me to keep calories eaten less than calories burned. And yes, it is a time consuming pain in the neck
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 05:59
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I use it everyday, it really helps keep me focused. The thing I find most helpful is learning portion size. And I like challenges, it seems like a little daily success to see that I met 20 carbs, or 70% fat for the day. Hey I'm anal and I know it. lol
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 06:31
Registered Member

Stats: 191/168/120 Female 5'4
BF:losing 50 in 2004
Progress: 32%

I used it for like a day or so too but it was too time consuming I just bought a atkins journal and log it all there its easier for me =)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:18

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

I believe I sill have the fitday link . If you check it you will see I did it for like a day way back when, and it was also to time consuming for me. Having a 2 yr old I dont get to spend that much time on here. I was spending way too much time on the fitday. It hasnt effected my weight loss. All you really need is the book. I have read it(a long time back) and still go back to check my veggie counts and such.
Renee
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:19

Plan: adkins
Stats: 160/148.5/130 Female 5 4
BF:
Progress: 38%

Sorry, Dont have the fitday link anymore
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 10:54
Registered Member

Stats: 223/193/180 Male 6 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default 1 more reply :)

I too, use it on occasion when I want to recheck my carb counts or check the counts on new items I might be using in a recipe. Too much time for me, but I know when I first started, it was the bomb because it gave me all the counts I now have memorized
I started at 223 in Nov 1, and am at 195 today. My goal is 180 .
my .02

Last edited by johnnymo : Fri, Jan-02-04 at 10:55.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 12:58

Plan: DANDR
Stats: 191/153/145 Female 66.5
BF:
Progress: 83%

I have never used Fitday because when I started this WOE/WOL my biggest concern was being focused on food every minute. I have a white board on the fridge, Dr. A's carb counter, plus the link on my computer desktop, and just track my (and "H"'s) on the white board every day. Now that I've been doing this for 5 months I pretty much know what I take in and have never counted calories, to tell you the truth. Some people find it enormously helpful and swear by it. Find what works for you and then stick with it...or adjust as you need to.