Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 01:24

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress: 0%
Question How many people have told their Doctor?

I haven't told mine, I don't know what the reaction would be. They got all snotty, when I mentioned getting advice off the internet about a condition I had, because they had told me nothing about it and its causes. All they said was to lose weight to see if it fixes itself, when I asked how the advice was eat less. I was eating about 900 cals and still gaining, so eating less wasn't an option. I have since changed doctors but haven't the guts to tell him.
Cheryl
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 03:10

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

cheryl, I know it can be a little scary. Those in positions of authority, especially our doctors, can definitely have an impact on our decisions. I was a little anxious about seeing my doc this week. Here's what I did. I printed off a copy of what I've been eating for the past week or so. I also wrote down all the stats that had changed since I started LC (My weight, the inches lost, my BP) A lot of doctors don't have a clear notion of what LC really is. Most people think we swill bacon fat and live off meat and cheese. Her comments were very positive and encouraging. I armed myself to the teeth and I was prepared for her questions. Her only worry was that my blood work would be *off* since I was eating so much more fat that normal. I assured her that all the evidence points toward the opposite. I am having blood work done this week and if its still normal (as it has always been) then she doesnt want to see me again until next year.

Under "Low Carb Studies" there is some powerful and compelling evidence that LC works and most of all, doesnt hurt you. Print it off, have a read, and take some of the information with you.

If all else fails, there are other doctors out there.

Cheers,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 08:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 300/248/130
BF:
Progress: 31%

I just had my yearly exam in August and I didn't tell my doctor I was on Atkins. I just said I was "improving my eating habits". I figured it really isn't any of his business what I eat. As long as my cholesterol/BP and related stats are good, what does it matter? The proof is in the numbers. If he had asked me exactly what I was eating, I would have told him. But he didn't. He was just glad to see the numbers improving, so I left it at that.

Wendy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 10:34
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I brag about it to my doctor, and tell him about our web site, studies section, invite him to take a look etc. He's neither for it, not against it.

Wa'il
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 13:21

Stats: 191/1550/135
BF:
Progress:
Smile

I told my doctor the week before my husband started this WOE in June. He wished us good luck and said to make sure we exercise. This was a welcomed surprise since this is more of an "old fashioned" doctor to some respects. I'm sure when I see him again he will be shocked because my hypoglycemia symptoms no longer exist and I've already lost 1/2 of my goal. Don't worry about what your doctor will think or say because you know why you are changing your eating habits.

#6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 295/266/180
BF:
Progress: 25%
Thumbs up My doctor was the one that actually inspired Me!!

Hi~
My family practice physician was actually the doc. that inspired me and related all the "basic general" information about the Low CHO WOE/WOL.....

Another doc. in his practice has went from >300 lbs. to nearly ideal weight...& does quite a few presentations about it...his nurse has lost > 50 lbs. since 4/01! He wanted to make sure it worked as well & lost 10 # which he is really on top of his weight.
He has several pt's that need to lose & have done excellent on the new WOE/WOL.

I can't thank my doc. enough!!
Rictoria.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: Attkins
Stats: 210/198/165 Female 5'6 1/2''
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default My Doc Started this for me.

When my doctor heard me say i wanted to loose weight and needed to exercise. He jumped in and gave me print outs for LC eating. He is on this WOE also and has lost a great number of lbs. i was told by someone else.

As Dr. Atkins book suggests, I think it is important to start out by getting the blood work done. So that later you can do it again and see the improvement. My blood numbers were good and I am looking forward to checking it again in a couple of months and see improvement.

This week has been more difficult for me to be faithful to the new WOE and my loosing has stalled, but i know it is because i have not been consistant. i plan to do alot better next week.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 15:53

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

I had been putting off telling my dad about my new WOL because I was afraid of what he would say. (37 and still need my parent's approval - go figure). Much to my shock and suprise, he was happy that I was doing this and very encouraging. Told me to keep it up. I couldn't have been happier.

The reason I was worried is because he's a doctor - pretty much an old- fashioned type.

I explained all the metabolic reasoning and so forth and he agreed that it sounds plausible. I even tried to get him to try it since he's a diabetic with some heart problems. I'll keep working on it because I'd love to see my dad get healthy.

#9   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 06:23

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

I told my doctor way back when, even lent her my book. She is all for learning something new if it improves health. Since summer began I haven't had a chance to go in and see her. I was going in weekly at first for weight ins. I look forward to finding some time in the near future to see her again, to not only let her see how well I have done, but to get my book back...LOL
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 07:01
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 218/214/140
BF:
Progress: 5%

Have a close family friend who is an OB/GYN. He swears by the diet, particularly the Suzanne Somers version. He agrees though that this must be something you basically do the rest of your life to maintain. Not sure how SS differs from Atkins or PP. May go check out the bool from the library and read it. Its interesting to me how there can be different versions.

As for my GP, haven't been to him recently, but he is the one who put me on the PHen/Phen a few years back, and he is very open minded. So, he'd most likely be ok with it.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 08:34

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 192/119/111
BF:
Progress: 90%

When I told my family doctor last year, he said "You will lose, but you will put it all back on, better to go with the low fat diet, because you have high blood pressure.....yada, yada, yackety, schmakety. About 30 pounds lost later, I was diagnosed with thyroid disease, had a bout of thyroiditis, and dx'd with hypothyroid. Then I was sent to an endocrinologist. I almost fell off my chair when he told me to stay on this plan for life!!! I told him my family doc's feelings and he called him, and explained the entire thing!! I have gone on to lose almost to my goal, which I no longer think is 111 lbs, by the way, I'm looking pretty good at 119. No more blood pressure pills, and they haven't even started me on any thyroid meds, and I still lost the weight, and had lots of energy despite my thyroid diagnosis.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 08:51

Stats: 216/166/160
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default Have you told your doctor

Hi Cheryl, I have been on low carb for about one and a half years on the advice of my doctor. My daughter and I have each lost about 50 lbs. My doctor recommended it because my sugar levels were getting a little bit high and she was concerned that I was pre diabetic. Everything is fine now. If you feel good and are losing weight, don't worry about it. good luck.

Judie
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 16:25

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

i have a Dr's appointment in the first week of October, for a full bloodwork. He'll probably ask me what i've been doing since the last time i saw him i was 180lb (on his scale)
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 16:56

Stats: 240/215/150
BF:
Progress: 28%
Red face

I got my blood work done when I started and in 2 weeks I'm having it done again. Doc likes this WOL
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Sep-17-01, 18:51

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 265/233/???
BF:
Progress:

I haven't told my doc yet. Just had my physical with her last week and had a fasting test done.

Kidney function fine, sugar fine, chol. 4.3 - LDL 3.1. She says that they now want LDL to be 2.5.

I happened to check an old file I keep on my computer at work. Last year, my cholesterol was 5.1. Something must be working!