Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 18:38

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 322.4/287/160 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default just starting out

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=DarkGreen]Hello! Hubby and I are starting the Atkins Diet on sunday- we have already somewhat started but don't have the book yet. We have a lot to lose and since this is our first time doing something like this I was wondering which book is best to start with. We bought the "Atkins For Life" today, but it seems to be something more geared towards those who have already been using his plan. SO what book do we start with?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 18:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/179.5/160 Male 70"
BF:Lots of it!
Progress: 41%

Welcome to the forum! You definitely want to start with "Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolution". It will tell you everything you need to know to get started. There are many wonderful people in this forum that can also help you with questions as you journey into this wonderful way of eating. The Atkins site may also have some info you can use right away: http://atkins.com/howto/index.html
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 19:03
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

I agree with Sonnofa, Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution is probably the best book for people just starting to lowcarb. I also found the discussion in Protein Power (by the Eades) very useful in understanding why lowcarb works. Atkins for Life is more geared toward maintenance.

If you have not done so already, you might want to check out the Triple Digits Club which is the special area of the forum for people with over 100 pounds to lose. It is about mid-way down on the forum homepage.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 20:17

BF:

Thank you so much for the help. Going to be picking the book up on saturday and i'll definetly check out the triple digits thing. I'm so frustrated. You'd think I ate over 3000 calories a day and just sat around all day but I don't. For the past 2 years all I've done is gain, gain, gain. I'm a very active mom- how someone cannot be active with a very energetic 3 year old is beyond me, but I do exercise and rarely sit. SO I do hope this works!
Thanks for the help again!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 20:25
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 289/260/230 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 49%

everyone here helps out alot, no matter what the question, nobody judges anybody they just support each other, so read the book and ask questions here somebody will be able to help if you get stuck
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-01-04, 20:40
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoormom
You'd think I ate over 3000 calories a day and just sat around all day but I don't. For the past 2 years all I've done is gain, gain, gain. I'm a very active mom- how someone cannot be active with a very energetic 3 year old is beyond me, but I do exercise and rarely sit.

I know what you mean. I swam a mile several times a week, and did a lot of walking as well, and all I did was gain until I weighed over 350 pounds. I used to come home from swimming laps and snack on pretzels, because they were nonfat and I thought they were good for me. I read an article about blood sugar problems and low carb eating in July 2002 and a lightbulb went off in my head -- I realized what my problem was. As soon as I changed what I was eating, the weight started dropping off. I hope the same thing happens for you!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:44

BF:

Well I hope this works. I have a ton of people telling me how bad it is, but after reading what I've read it makes total sense to me. One of those people told me to do the Slim Fast diet, which makes no sense to me because it's full of carbs. Anyhow, thank you all for the support. Hubby may be joining here too, he's doing it with me.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 08:58

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I have a ton of people telling me how bad it is, but after reading what I've read it makes total sense to me.

I think that's happened to most of us at one point or another. The best defense is knowledge (which most of the critics don't have since I have yet to run into one who has actually read a book on low carbing before they start in with the criticism).
Most of the critics in my life have gotten pretty quiet at this point since I've stuck with it and seen nothing but improvements in my health and bloodwork.
Oh...and that nearly 70 pounds of water ( ) I've lost has gotten a lot of folks' attention as well.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 09:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 214/177/140 Female 5'6''
BF:35/28/23
Progress: 50%

Welcome - and be prepared for miracles!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 12:28

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Outdoormom, If you do this diet correctly, you will find yourself healthier than your friends who call this a bad diet. I know that you are anxious to xtart this way of eating but please read Dr Atkins DIet Revolution, first. You should get blood work done first to see how your numbers improve over this year of dieting. My cholesterol is a total of 148. My triglycerides = 59 and my glucose is 90. My electrolytes are fine. I regret not having lab work done before doing the diet. But, for me, it proves that eating a high fat, high protein, low carbohydrate diet has not be detrimental to my health. I have done this diet for a year. I will eat this way for the rest of my life. My resolution for 2004 is to reach pre-maintenance phase. I am not rushing the remainder of my weightloss because it was kinda slow last year. Keep in mind that I didn't have that much weight to lose and my weightloss will be much different from yours. Also keep in mind that this isn't a diet that you go on and then stop when you reach your goal. This diet is a way of life so contemplate on that not just the initial weightloss.Also, I think of every low carb participant as a poster child for this WOE. The world is watching.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Jan-02-04, 12:49

Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

If you have questions or need support. Just log on we are here for you.