Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 12:50

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default If Atkins is so bad for us...

then why are major restaurant chains (and local ones too) beginning to offer low carb choices? The last time they did that is the "heart smart" craze of dry baked potatoes and low fat stuff. I have never seen point values on a menu or other choices that are recommended by a certain diet.
So far, Ruby Tuesday (not here in Tulsa), and Fridays are nation-wide. In Tulsa we have McGills (a local fancy upscale place whose owner put lowcarb on the menu after he lost tons of weight himself but was unable to eat at his own place) and Arby's has 'Carb-ys'. At least, I think they still do.

Just a random thought I had. Thinking about it since going to Friday's two days ago and having their Cheeseburger, cheeseburger. MMMMMM. Cheeseburger.

What'cha all think?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 12:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 265/254/190 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 15%

WEll, I don't think it's a great indicator that something is good fr us because a restaurant is offering it. Look at most of MCd's menu!

I think it's a bankable assumption that lo-carb diets are gaining ground and popularity so why not go where the money is?

I saw a commercial last night for the "Ron Popeil Low carb Diet" machine. Seems to look a lot like his rotisserrie...hmmm...
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 12:56

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I think it's a bankable assumption that lo-carb diets are gaining ground and popularity so why not go where the money is?

I agree. They're jumping on the low carb bandwagon not because they're convinced of the health benefits or because they care about the health of their customers, they're trying to keep their market share of paying customers and if those on low carb diets can't eat at their restaurant, they know that they will go elsewhere or eat at home. It's all about $$$$.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 13:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/180.2/175 Female 5 feet 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

No doubt, money is what it is all about. I do think it's great that if you want to go out you have serveral options. Here is Texas we have a burger place called Fudderuck's and they also now offer a lc meal called the Atkins Meal. I love this woe.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 13:44
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I stopped by Safeway last night and they have a new 12 foot wide 6 foot wide display of Atkins products and other low carb pastas and cereals, etc. Wouldn't cha know its diet season? I've never seen the display before!