Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 01:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Unhappy Why is this happening to me?

I am on day 14 of induction and dont think I have cheated. I lost about 8 pounds in my first 4 days and nothing since then. What am I doing wrong. I finally lashed out and bought some keto sticks yesterday which came up purple (moderate) so I must be in ketosis.

Has this happened to anyone else? How many carbs a day do I go up to, do I add the five more or do I wait and see if I am going to loose. How do I know this program will work for me? Should I stick with it? Is this normal?

I think if I didnt have this forum I would have thought the diet wasnt working, because in the book Atkins makes out like people should lose weight really easily. ARRRRGGGGGGGGGG!!!!

Thanks
Tracie

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 02:18

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Tracie

As far as I know, Fat Cells are notoriously difficult to get rid of. They have a habit of hanging on for dear life. When you start losing weight, they lose their fat, get scared and fill up with water. They will hold that water for a while, until they find out, that it is not quite the same and then they die and you start losing weight again. This can take quite a while ( forgot how long). Don't give up ! Stick to the diet (you are in Ketosis, so you are burning fat) and drink your water, your fat cells will give up before you. Don't forget, they are fighting for their lifes
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 03:39

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:
Default Don't worry

Like you I lost a lot during the first week of Induction and then nothing for a few weeks. But I lost size, check your measurements. I am now the same weight I was last year, and my clothes are fitting better now than they did then. Don't worry it seems to be normal. If you are still worried try upping your calories and cutting down on sweeteners, they can stall your loss. I found that out the hard way.

Cheryl
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 04:39
Registered Member

Stats: 209/177/132
BF:
Progress: 42%
Default What do you mean by upping calories.

I feel like sometimes I eat too much.

I have only been having the occasional diet coke. Does it matter if you eat at weird times or inbetween meals. I dont tend to have breakie until 11am and then I dont have lunch till 2pm or something. Because I am eating at weird times I feel like i am eating inbetween meals.

Where abouts in Sydney are you? We moved down here from Sydney 2 years ago.

Tracie
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 07:17

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Tracie

Hang in there, Toots! 8lbs is GREAT! It is quite common to experience this kind of stall after induction. Your body needs time to recover from the wieght loss and to decide that it likes what you're doing to it. The loss will resume. In the meantime, take some measurements if you haven't already. Remember, you're losing body fat and replacing it with lean muscle (more so if you've been working out). One lbs of lean muscle takes up 1/3 the space of one lb of fat. You may weight the same, but i'll bet you dont take up the same amount of space . For those weeks that I dont lose, I double check my measurements, and sure enough I've lost inches. Its very motivating.

A Journal would be a good idea, too. If we can see what you've been eating and drinking (you have been drinking your water right?) we can offer suggestions and point out possible pitfalls.

Hang in there and remember, the goal of this WOE is permanent weight loss, not rapid weight loss!

Nat
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 09:15
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

It happens to almost everyone. Sometimes it's steady, sometimes nothing happens and then weight seems to disappear in chunks. This is a way of life and it does take time for your body and mind to adjust to what is happening.

For me a stall is six weeks and a plateau is three months!!

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 14:14

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:

I have found the article, hope it helps !

Why we work so hard, but nothing seems to change...
A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS system
about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight fluctuations you invariably
encounter:

Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up their actual
cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of "proper dieting", each of your fat
cells may have actually lost a good percentage of the actual fat contained in those cells.

But the fat cells themselves, stubborn little guys, replace that lost fat with water to
retain their size. That is, instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the
cell, they stay the same size! Result - you weigh the same, look the same, maybe even
gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some serious fat.

The good news is that this water replacement is temporary. It's a defensive measure to
keep your body from changing too rapidly. It allows the fat cell to counter the rapid
change in cell composition, allowing for a slow, gradual reduction in cell size. The problem
is, most people are frustrated with their apparent lack of success, assume they have
lost nothing, and stop dieting.

However, if you give those fat cells some time, like 4-6 months, and ignore the scale
weight fluctuations, your real weight/shape will slowly begin to show. The moral of the
story - BE PATIENT! Have faith! YOUR APPEARANCE AND SCALE WEIGHT MAY
FLUCTUATE, EVEN BACK-TRACK, BUT YOUR RESOLVE, COMMITMENT AND FAITH
SHOULD NOT!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 15:09

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default One more thought

You dont actually lose fat cells. They shrink. You'll have the same number of fat cells 3 months from now as you had 3 months ago. The size of them is what changes. The only way to get rid of fat is to have it removed. ouch.

Nat
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 17:56

Stats: 181/138/125
BF:
Progress: 77%

MadPiano!

Thanks so much for posting that information! I was feeling a bit discouraged too after an initial 13 lb loss on induction and nothing since. Guess I'll have to teach those stubborn fat cells a thing or two!!

#10   ^
Old Sat, Sep-15-01, 18:36
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:

Quote:
The good news is that this water replacement is temporary...It's a defensive measure to keep your body from changing too rapidly.

Yep, and when the water disappears folks, we have what 'ya call a whoosh!

Karen
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-16-01, 00:37

Plan: aitkins
Stats: 198/198/143 Female 155cm
BF:

Tracie,
What I meant by upping your calories, is that you should check the amount of calories you are eating. Recently I discovered http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html and put in what I had eaten for the day in the journal and was shocked over how little calories I had that day. I made sure I had more high calorie foods after that and did start losing again.
I eat at weird times too. I have a glass of water with my supplements when I get up and usually don't get around to breakfast for an hour because I am busy. If I am really hungry I just have a boiled egg out of the fridge.
I hope this helps you.

Cheryl