Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 20:53
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%
Default Lightheadedness is increasing -- help

I've completed about 9 weeks of low carb. I'm taking calcium, magnesium, potassium and a multi-vitamin. I started about 3 weeks ago with the first bout of lightheadedness -- had no problems with induction -- and now am experiencing symptoms once or twice a day, especially about a half hour after a meal. I'm on thyroid meds (my thyoid is gone from thyroid cancer) and on blood pressure meds. I drink lots of water.

My doctor is not supportive of low-carbing anyway and suggested WW instead (I have trouble sticking to WW).

I have lost very slowly over the past 3 weeks -- barely a pound a week.

I'm 50 and female.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 21:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Sounds as though your BP might be going too low at times, but it could also be from not eating enough carbs. So you could raise them right away.

Are you eating enough or often enough? That can make a difference. Try to have some carbs at every meal too.

I'm a bit puzzled by your stats: you've lost a pound a week for 9 weeks but are down from 280 to 227.5??? Or did you do some other plan before LCing?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 21:23
~Return to Reality~

Sorry -- my stats are misleading -- I have been working on weight since June -- portion control / low fat from June to September but I got bored and started to slip so started Atkins -- I've lost about 20 pounds on Atkins since September and am determined to take the rest off!

I do go a long time between some meals -- maybe an afternoon snack would be a good idea? I don't usually have any carbs at breakfast and usually have about a cup of greens at lunch, then more veggies at dinner. I've had some almonds as a snack -- they triggered the worst cases of lightheadedness I have had (about 1/2 hour after eating them alone).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-21-03, 23:18
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I think you had better be checking your blood pressure several times a day and logging it. I think you also need to get yourself and a schedule of 5 -6 little meals a day that are balanced with protein, fat, carbs. Is your water intake at least 8 -8oz measured glasses of WATER a day? And you had better get yourself in and get some blood work done to clearly see what your numbers are. Liver, kidneys, blood glucose levels, lipids, etc. You can't do this diet hit and miss. You must make a full committment to it and follow thru.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:19
~Return to Reality~

Thanks for your input -- I have been to see the doctor today and he's running a whole raft of tests -- an EKG, fasting blood and urine for B12 deficiency, hypoglycemia and cholesterol, a 24 hour holter monitor and a referral to a neurologist. We'll see what is uncovered -- maybe nothing to do with the lowcarb.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 08:37
Contributing Member

I'm glad to hear that you are scheduled with your Doctor. You've been on my mind. I hope that all is found to be ok with you.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 19:25
~Return to Reality~

Hmm .. have been to the neurologist and he doesn't think it's related to any strange brain activity. Am still checking.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 22:28
Contributing Member

That is very good news! How are you feeling these days? Have you been back to your family doctor to get the results of your blood work up? Were they good?
Been thinking about you. Do hope all is well.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 05:08
~Return to Reality~

Thanks very much for your concern, blueflyer.

Fasting blood tests were all fine.

I've been doing more sleuthing on my own before returning to my doctor. I've switched to the Suzanne Somers approach and now eat a "carbo" breakfast (shredded wheat with bran and skim milk) and maintain a high protein/fat meal for lunch and dinner. This seems to have helped the symptoms. However, I have noted that when there is a long period between meals and the meal I have is heavy in fats, the symptoms return.

I borrowed a blood testing machine from the pharmacist and tested my blood sugar while having symptoms. I tested it 4 times in the space of a few minutes and got readings of 4.4, 4.2, 4.5 and 5.0. My brother who is diabetic has said that he gets feeling lightheaded if his blood sugar goes below 4.5.

Using some sleuthing on google, it looks like it's possible that I may have trouble breaking down fatty acids. Alternatively or additionally, it could be connected to the high dosage of thyroxin that I am on because I'm being treated for thyroid cancer.

Interestingly, one of the references said that a symptom of this is that ketones are not as efficiently excreted - even at the depths of Atkins induction when I was consistently eating below 20g of carbs a day, the Ketostix never registered in the last two colours for me.

In any case, I think it's a case for my endocrinologist, not a neurologist but I'll have to go back to the GP before I will see the endocrinologist again.

This may sound like gobbledegook but since the symptoms seem to be better when I eat more often, I am making sure I include enough vegetables to keep the carbs up and don't overdo the fat.

It's an important note that this diet does mess with your metabolism so that if you have underlying problems, you need to be very much aware of them and what the implications of adjusting your diet will be on your body. I still have over 65 pounds to lose and am determined to lose it but don't want to pay the price of permanent damage to my metabolism.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 08:29

Stats: 60/55/52
BF:
Progress:

i have just read your ink and I would be interested to know what your endo says as I too sufer the same symtoms as you, I am hypothyriod and take thyroxine 125 daily.
I often feel lightheaded and the only way I can combat this is too eat small snacks often, I find if I eat nuts especially almonds the lightheadness appears the only way i can help this is by adding more veggies or carbs to my diet.
I am very happy on the Atkins except for this constant feeling of lightheadiness and need to eat.
Please let me know what your endo says.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jan-25-04, 21:07
~Return to Reality~

Thanks kaza, I'm sorry you have the same symptoms but it helps me to know someone else is experiencing. I wonder if it has to do with the thyroid imbalance? I am seeing my endocrinologist on Feb 3rd and will grill her at that time about it.

I did see my GP and his response was to eat smaller amounts more often.

By the way, I have not had any symptoms lately at all. I don't know if that's because I am more careful about what I eat and when (not really) or if it's something that passed as my body got used to it.

Well, I hope the endo knows! She is good and conscientious so I expect she'll be helpful but I don't know if she supports LC.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-26-04, 05:39

Stats: 60/55/52
BF:
Progress:

Thanks hummelda,
I loook forward to hearing your endo's thoughts on this matter.
Thanks in advance.
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 21:34
~Return to Reality~

My appt was changed to Feb 16 so I'll get back at that point. My symptoms are all but gone. I don't eat any nuts now so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-05-04, 22:35

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummelda
Thanks very much for your concern, blueflyer.

Interestingly, one of the references said that a symptom of this is that ketones are not as efficiently excreted - even at the depths of Atkins induction when I was consistently eating below 20g of carbs a day, the Ketostix never registered in the last two colours for me.

This may sound like gobbledegook but since the symptoms seem to be better when I eat more often, I am making sure I include enough vegetables to keep the carbs up and don't overdo the fat.

It's an important note that this diet does mess with your metabolism so that if you have underlying problems, you need to be very much aware of them and what the implications of adjusting your diet will be on your body. I still have over 65 pounds to lose and am determined to lose it but don't want to pay the price of permanent damage to my metabolism.

Understand, this diet doesn't mess with your metabolism. It brings metabolic problems to light. In other words, if you have metabolic problems they will become notable. Yes, the diet can be adapted to accomodate any health deficiency and this information is covered in the book. Eating small frequent meals are probably the answer for you, like you said. I know that this has been posted for a while but your carbs are probably way too low. It is reccommended to balance them throughout the day If you eat 3xs a day. Eat 7 grams for breakfast,7 for lunch and 6 for dinner. I was lightheaded when on induction and I just raised my carbs and things were better.

If you are not burning fat then you will not have ketones.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Feb-06-04, 20:10
~Return to Reality~

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
Understand, this diet doesn't mess with your metabolism. It brings metabolic problems to light.

You may be right. I really don't know anything about medical conditions other than what I have read in the Atkins book and I'm sure there are additional complexities that go beyond what he has said.

Although I think I should be eating small meals more often, I haven't been doing that and have not had any problems since Christmas. I have a high fibre, whole grain cereal for breakfast, then meat and vegetables with dressings of some sort almost exclusively the rest of the time, with lunch at 12:00 and dinner usually around 7:00.

Perhaps my body has adjusted. Anyway, am still seeing the endo for other reasons so will bring this up.