Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 17:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 169/169/120 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress:
Default Doing Atkins again and questions

I did Atkins a few years ago and lost 50 pounds. Sad to say, I gained a lot of it back. I heard that Atkins doesn't work as well on the second try. Anyone know if it's true? I've been jogging 1/2 hr. day too. I've just started induction again. I have a few questions for those of you who are more "up" on Atkins than me. Are we not supposed to drink caffeine because it can slow weight gain or because it can cause low blood sugar? I won't drink any, if it slows weight gain, but I'll risk the low blood sugar. I love my morning coffee. Also, why can't we use Asparatame? Splenda is soooooooo expensive and Saccharin is yukky, as my kids would say :) Again, I'll do what I need to do to get thin again. Lastly, I am on Paxil for depression and it says that Paxil can impede weight gain (or any antidepressants). I can't go off of it. I really need to take it. Last time I lost weight anyways, but I'm apprehensive about this time! Thanks in advance for all answers :)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 17:48

Plan: Self Designed Low Carb
Stats: 253/145/165 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 123%

Obviously, everybody's different - but here's my story:

My husband and I lost a ton of weight on atkins 10 years ago. And although it took years to regain the weight, time and sloth took it's toll, and we completely reverted back to high-carb eating and set new record high weights for ourselves. We had an epiphany this past October after awaking in a stupor after an Oreo cookie pig-out and decided to beat our sugar addiction once and for all.

We started LCing the second week of November and because we weren't initially concerned with RAPID weight loss (well-being was primary - weight loss secondary) we didn't start with strict induction. We just cut out as many forms of sugar and starch as we possibly could. We still drink coffee with splenda and cream in the morning - (Look for splenda at Costco if you have one in the area. You can get a 6 month supply of packets for about $14). We're pretty casual about the number of nuts we eat - too many, I suspect. I'm an onion addict - can't cook without it and I use it with abandon even though it has a higher carb count than many of the recommended veggies. In spite of our less than perfect adherence to the "program", I have lost 18 pounds and my husband has lost 22 pounds. Our loss is not as rapid as when we were playing it by the book, but since this is a lifestyle change, I'm not as concerned about dropping weight overnight. Besides, I can't afford to replace my professional wardrobe just yet. I plan on wearing my tent clothes until the bitter end and then sashaying into the office in a smart, trim outfit and making everybody believe that I melted away over a weekend.

I can tell you that when I did Atkins when I was younger, I had no side effects at all. This time I experienced lethargy and mental dullness for about 5-6 days shortly after starting. Once that passed, my energy has been boundless.

I don't have any advice regarding the medication thing.

Good luck to you!

Anne
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 19:02
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From what people say on here it is alot slower on the second or subsequential times. That's one of the reasons following all the stages of the plan is important including premaintanance and maintanance. It won't do any good to go back on Atkins to get it all off again, then return to poor eating habits.

Antidepressents can slow things down as well. Just hang in there and keep up the jogging and eating well. It may take longer this time, but it can happen.

As for asperteme, it can stop some peoples weight loss. It also loses sweetness when cooked and has many health concerns. I use stevia in my coffee and tea. The best thing to do though, esp on induciton, is to avoid artificial sweetners and sweet foods until your taste buds reset.

Caffine can cause some people to have a spike in blood sugar. Some people, while other have no problem. You can always try using half caf if you are worried. I use maxwell house half caf now and enjoy it. Remember coffee, regular or decaf, has some carbs though trace
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 20:27
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

The first time around, 1 yr. and 3 months ago, I lost 26lbs in 2 months. This time, in the past 4 months, I've lost 55lbs. I would say I've not had a problem with a slower weightloss, just needed to do a few modifications as I found I could not lose the same way as before, due to body chemistry/hormonal changes (i.e. pregnancy). So, I just adjusted until I found what works for me.

Good luck!
melissa
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 22:18
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 172/172/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

pammar, Wal*Mart here has big bags of Splenda for a bit over $6.00, much cheaper than buying those little packets.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:59

Stats: 169/169/120 Female 5'2"
BF:don't know
Progress:

Thank you. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I don't WANT it to take longer!!! Yes, this time I realize it truly has to be a way of life. I loved how I looked before. Now I can't stand to look at myself. I got down to a size 9! What was wrong with me? If I use Splenda or Saccharin will that keep weight off? I plan to eat VERY little carbs...not close to 20 a day. During induction I usually just eat meat and eggs...sometimes flavor eggs with a bit of the acceptable cheeses. Any MORE advice is greatly appreciated. Should I weigh myself or measure inches instead??? Please help. I don't want to be a blimp anymore :<<
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 12:13
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

From what I've read in DANDR eating less than 20 grams of carbs has no advantage over eating 20 grams... and many people on this forum have indicated that they lost more quickly by eating more carbs... not alot more carbs, and all from good sources, but if you aren't eating enough in total, you could have problems from your body thinking it's starving. This can really impede weight loss...
I would suggest going totally by the book for induction, no sweeteners at all for the first two weeks... and then you can experiment from there, to see what your body will tolerate and what it won't.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 12:15
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by pammar
Thank you. Grrrrrrrrrrr. I don't WANT it to take longer!!! Yes, this time I realize it truly has to be a way of life. I loved how I looked before. Now I can't stand to look at myself. I got down to a size 9! What was wrong with me? If I use Splenda or Saccharin will that keep weight off? I plan to eat VERY little carbs...not close to 20 a day. During induction I usually just eat meat and eggs...sometimes flavor eggs with a bit of the acceptable cheeses. Any MORE advice is greatly appreciated. Should I weigh myself or measure inches instead??? Please help. I don't want to be a blimp anymore :<<

Atkins recommends Splenda for a sweetener, but try and use it sparingly during induction. Also, why don't you keep track of both weight and measurements? That's what I've been doing, so if my weight doesn't move on the scale, I can see if I'm losing inches instead. You do know you also need your veggies while on induction too? It is a very important source for your carbs, and sometimes doing much LESS than 20 carbs can cause stalling, as can too many. You'll need to do some playing with the numbers to see what works for you. All in all I think it's wonderful you've decided to come back and help yourself get healthy. Very commendable!

mel
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:43
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 172/172/130 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Pamma, I'm on a severely limited budget and i use Splenda in my coffee and herbal tea and avoid any sweets besides that, definately can't afford those $2.00 a bar goodies. I buy the bulk pkgs. at Wal*Mart supercenters the big pkg. around $6.00 has lasted me since Oct. I've been tested years ago and am allergic to the other sweetners --asthma triggers---and this works. jeri
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:58

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

It is much slower for me this time. Try to keep your 20 carbs to streight veggies. Drink LOTS of water. After the first two weeks you can start adding other carbs, but still keeping the carbs to 20 if you want. If it is going to take longer you might as well use the time to really learn how your body respounds to various foods, medications and exercise.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 12:49

Plan: atkins
Stats: 260/250/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 10%

This is an interesting thread. I've been doing Atkins for 10 months now, but got sloppy over the holidays, a couple of small cheats and began eating way too much low-carb chocolate and peanut butter. I've gained 6 pounds back and went back to induction today. I'm wondering if I'll get those Atkins flu symptoms and if I'll lose much weight over these next 2 weeks. I guess time will tell.