Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227.8/196/167.8 Male 67
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Un-"friggin"-believable

OK, I've been on Atkins since October, dropped 32 Lbs (halfway to my goal weight) and went from a couch potato who couldn't climb a flight of stair without huffing and puffing to training for a marathon in late march.

I've heard the same thing everyone else has, this diet is bad for you, your cholestrol is going to go through the roof, you're going going to get kidney stones, You're only losing water weight, yada yada yada...

I've read the studies, both pro and anti low carb.

Here's the results of my personal unscientific study, 4 months after going on this plan.

I don't have to take my arthritis medicine anymore. I've lost a bunch of weight. I feel great. I ran 6 miles on Saturday.

But this is the one I can't believe - my cholesterol, after eating meat, eggs, bacon and butter daily, is down to 180! When I was in shape and eating low fat, the lowest I ever got was 220! My doctor was considering putting me on Lipitor. Screw the non-believers, this works!

When will the various medical organizations wake up and face the truth? I'm living proof of this being a successful plan. But I'm sure those in denial have some explanation as to why what I'm I'm doing is dangerous.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:32
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Tell the world. Be a poster child. Proudly carry a card in your wallet with those numbers and when someoen starts so poo poo the plan, simply pull it out, state your health facts then ask if they think you should go back to a junk food laden way of eating that moved your cholesterol up that far in the first place.

When they start to complain about not being balanced and missing out on food, calmly point out you can have fruits, whole grains, beans (we're talking maitnanance here) and so on. You could even have small portions of junk food, but you don't want to put poison in your body when it doesn't even taste that good anymore.

What I love to do is go out to eat with those doubters. At the end of the meal they are usually stuffed and have a tummy ache, not to mention lethargy. Yet I have tons of energy, am satisfied and ready to get to work on what ever
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:41

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I super agree!!! Tell folks. Write to other web sites. There is a low carb study that is being done that is funded by the Atkins Foundation. I am interested in participating, however, I go not have an "official" beginning weight so I am not sure if I can do it. I have decided that when someone speaks of the deadliness of Atkins, I am going to pull out by blood work and let it speak for itself.

Black57
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 13:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I just got my lab results today,

Cholesterol is a total of 148 {HDL=77 LDL=59}
triglycerides is 59
glucose is 98

Hmmm, yeah Atkins is dangerous to my health LOL
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 23:16

Plan: atkins
Stats: 303/287/190 Female 5'5.5"(65.5")(166.5 cm)
BF:
Progress: 14%

In 8 months my total cholesterol has gone from 233 to 214, but that includes the good cholesterol (HDL) having gone up from 46 to 58. LDL is down from 166 to 140, and triglycerides from 104 to 78 mg/dl. Maybe not spectacular but pretty good for 8 months of on again-off again lc-ing! And lots and lots of butter and cheese! I can't wait to have my bloodwork done in 8 more months
persimmon
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 23:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

Persimmon, black57 and prosdog, can you please post your lipid profile results at
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=48