Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 08:09
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Craving something cold and juicy, any ideas??? Need Help Here!!

I have just restarted my Lo Carb plan for the New Year....I haven't been very good lately, too busy and not paying attention. For the last few days I've been practicing so I can get right back on the plan full swing Jan. 1st....My New Year Resolution, is to restart my lo carb WOE. But it seems that my down fall is towards the end of the day I start to crave something juicy and lite and cold. I can't explain it, but I start to rummage the refrig. and end up having to chomp into a cold apple or something of this nature to calm the craving.
What is there that I can have that is lo carb to stop this craving.
After a day of lo carb eating...(Atkins,) it's almost like my mouth feels heavy and dry and just needs juicy.
I am drinking a lot of seltzer... with a squeeze of fresh lime. And regular water. (maybe not enough)?
Susan
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 08:22

Plan: My Own
Stats: 191/166/155 Female 5'4"
BF:32%/25%/25%
Progress: 69%

Juicy, light, cold--sounds like fresh veggies to me--celery, green, red, yellow peppers, radish, grape tomatoes, summer squash--all with a lovely LC dressing/dip.

Take into consideration that if you are not really at low carb levels, you are dealing with carb addiction. You are craving the carbs. I really have a problem with carb cravings so I have to be very careful to keep my carbs down and I avoid all my known trigger foods. If apples are a trigger for you, remove them from the house and substitute with a fruit you can resist.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 08:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

Sounds like a 0 calorie flavored water may be what you need. I buy the 1 liter flavored water and then dilute it to make two liters. It is too sweet straight. I have diluted 3:1 but the flavor is not strong enough for me then. It makes it much easier to get the water I need when it is flavored.
Johnie
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 09:12

Plan: Intermittent fast/Lowcarb
Stats: 251/199/180 Male 5 ft 10 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Sounds like a 0 calorie flavored water may be what you need. I buy the 1 liter flavored water and then dilute it to make two liters. It is too sweet straight. I have diluted 3:1 but the flavor is not strong enough for me then. It makes it much easier to get the water I need when it is flavored.
Johnie

Johnie has a great idea here. If that's what might work for you, I would also recommend putting a serious dollop of heavy cream in it. That cuts down on the aspartame bite and makes it taste like a smoothie!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:15
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Make sure your drinking tons of plain water as well. You need tk keep hydrated and that takes more water then before on LC.

Get jicama. It can be cut into slices you can grab. It's more starchy like apotatoe then jucy like an apple, it's kind of somewhere between the two.

Experiment with other allowed veggies on the list. I take it you have a family? If no clean out the fridge of those foods tempting you.

It's very important to do a clean induction with no cheats. Each time you give in and grab something with carbs from the fridge you are refueling your addiction. The only way to break an addiction is to go cold turkey. Only eat foods on the induction allowed list. No sweets, bars, or other franken foods. When you start getting those cravings, drink a large glass of water, get some exercise such as a walk or an exercise tape, and maybe have a small LC allowed snack in case it really is hunger.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 185/170/170 Male 5'9" and some change
BF:
Progress: 100%

Sounds like "SNOW"
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 10:54

Plan: adkins
Stats: 157.5/133.0/135 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 109%

once off induction, you can take low calorie cranberry juice and add just a splash to water. this usually
cures me and takes me out of "water boredome". My
mix is usually only about 1/5 juice to water. the low
calorie version at least has less carbs then regular.

Sandy
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:00
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

If you don't mind artificial sweetner what about sugar free Mr. Freezies or sugar free jello.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:34

Plan: generic low carb now
Stats: 210/212/145 Female 63
BF:plenty
Progress: -3%

I use the fruit-flavored DaVinci syrup in my water bottle, about a Tbls. does the trick.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 11:42

Plan: Old School Atkins
Stats: 000/000/170 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Have you tried celery with cream cheese or peanut butter?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 14:35

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

When I'm not sure what it is I want, I slice thin slices of Zuchinni, to use like a cracker, I found some sundried tomato pesto, that is pretty low in carbs, and it goes a long way, I spread it on the zuchinni rounds. You get the crunch, and the tangy at the same time.
Kathy
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 14:39

Stats: 186/186/120 Female 5'2" Inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Has anyone thought about making the icecube popcicles with some coolaide and splendela? That might work.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:38
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I'm wondering what supplements you're taking regularly. Sounds like a carb addict attack. If you are NOT taking any supplements, suggest you immediately do so. Sometimes a little snack of some "good" fat, a bit of protein and a 1/2 packet of splenda can stop an craving in minutes. I rely on a tablespoon of Udo's Oil. For me it works everytime. And what's your water consumption? Sometimes cravings are the way the body says, "I need some liquid in here, please."
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 19:44
Registered Member

Plan: none
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:none
Progress: 11%

Please ...what is Udo's Oil? I have never heard of it...
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 20:07
Contributing Member

Stats: 195/183/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:too much
Progress: 16%

I copied this directly from the Atkins.com web site.

For hunger not assuaged by being in lipolysis: 500 mg of L-phenylalanine or 500 mg of N-acetyl-L-tyrosine before meals.

For sugar cravings: 500 mg to 1,000 mg of L-glutamine before meals and/or when cravings are greatest.