Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 21:55

Plan: Atkins, PP, locarb in general
Stats: 178/161/145
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default Flax oil - protien diet

A Flax oil protien diet has been brought to my attention as being very good for you, and also tremendous immune boossters. Does anyone have any info on this? A Dr. Budwig discovered and promoted flax with protien ie.cottage cheese and "quark" (which I discovered is homemade yogurt,) and flax seed meal mixed together with blueberries and honey to sweeten. The diet is called the Oil-Protien diet. Has anyone heard of this one or tried it? Mary L.

Last edited by Laczkoskie : Sun, Dec-21-03 at 21:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 10:44
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%
Thumbs up

flax oil mixed with dairy, like cottage cheese and yougurt is very popular among bodybuilders. dairy should be fat free, of course. flax oil contains omega-3 essential fatty acids and known to aid in fat loss and building muscles as well as faster recovery between workouts. can be added to protein shakes as well if you can tolerate after taste, sometimes it is not so pleasant.
bodybuilders are known to shun saturated fat but value omega-3 fatty acids found in flax, fatty fish like tuna and salmon. another good combination is cottage cheese and tuna. sounds gross but tastes good, especially with addition of hot salsa. as flax oil per se, there is a lot of controversy on the subject. some suggest mixing in some polysaturated oil. others suggest avoiding it since it's very unstable and goes rancid even when refrigerated. not suitable for cooking either. flax meal is another alternative, if freshly ground. tastes better than pure oil. i prefer fatty fish like salmon and tune, and also cod liver.
cheers,
dina
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 12:48

BF:

Dina THAnks! I tried whizzing the flx oil and cottage cheese & yogurt with some stevia and splenda. It was delicious and there was no taste of flax oil when whizzed completely (so no oil showed) with the protien. poured over a bit of berries with flax seed meal over all was actually delicious. Have to try it with fat free c.c.
mary
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 21:36

Plan: Cyclic Ketogenic Diet (Ti
Stats: 212/149/140 Male 5'7
BF:
Progress: 88%

try flax-plus cereal only 11grams net carbs every 3/4 cup + soy milk (2carbs)... tastes real good! sweet almost!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 22:45
Registered Member

Flax-O-Meal cereal has 2 gram netto carbs and is made of bran, flax meal and soy protein. it's sweetened with splenda, and comes in 4 flavors, strawberries and cream tastes pretty decent. 1/2 cup dry (portion size) has also 10 gram of fiber. it's ready to eat, just add hot water and stir.
enjoy
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 13:24

BF:

Hey Rice_Boi, Had no idea this was body building food! And, my body sure needs building!! lol! I had been taking flax oil, yogurt, & fSM for b'fast and lunch and a regular low carb dinner for 2 weeks and was starting to panic beduse the wt was starting to gain. I flipped out and stopped flat. Maybe the fat was burning and the muscle gaining? Would it start to work that fast? mary

Dina, Thanks for the info on Flax meal. I read about this but don't know where to find it so I thought I would try to make it myself by grinding the flax seed in my coffee grinder and save myself some money. Where do you get yours. Mary

Last edited by Laczkoskie : Sun, Dec-28-03 at 13:28.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-28-03, 17:28
Registered Member

Hi Mary:
it's actially from the top of this page, netrition.com.LOL
i'm sending the link http://www.netrition.com/cgi/prices.cgi?manu_id=142.
it comes in 4 flavors, and so far i like strawberrya nd cream the best, haven't open vanilla/almond yet. it's the cheapest you can find it, most sites sell for $9. very convinient when you are sick of egg, and very filling. also, good for women as for flax meal.
Regards,
Dina
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-29-03, 22:20

BF:

dina, wow, I went there and I can't believe all the products. Have to try to convince my dh that I need to try this and then I'll let you know. I am a great one for "do-it-yourself" I like to see if I can do it better & cheaper, thus grinding my own flour, making my own yogurt, grinding my own flax seed etc. At least I know I'm not getting all those chemicals. But, I'm also up for trying new things....then trying to make them myself!! Mary
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 12:10
Registered Member

Mary:
i'm this kind too. making almost every thing from scratch, used to make cottage cheese and yougurt too. now, i'm too busy, working full time and exercising, so i skip on making yougurt and cereal now. o dp enough cooking as is. LOL
BTW, greek yougurt is very low carb and delicious.
cheers,
dina
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 12:47
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 313/300/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laczkoskie
dina, wow, I went there and I can't believe all the products. Have to try to convince my dh that I need to try this and then I'll let you know. I am a great one for "do-it-yourself" I like to see if I can do it better & cheaper, thus grinding my own flour, making my own yogurt, grinding my own flax seed etc. At least I know I'm not getting all those chemicals. But, I'm also up for trying new things....then trying to make them myself!! Mary

I've been making my own cereal, and now see that it's pretty much the same as theirs. It's real simple, and tastes great.

1 cup whey protein powder - plain or vanilla
1 cup ground flax seeds
1/2 cup whole flax seeds
1 1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 teaspoon pure stevia extract powder
1 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon

Put everything into a large tupperwear container and shake until well mixed, and store in the fridge. To serve, put 1/2 cup into a bowl and add 4-5 oz boiling water. Stir, and let stand for 2 min.

Lately I've been adding 1/2 cup shredded coconut to the mix. I also add a small amount of heavy cream before eating. It's also great with a few fresh blueberries

Sue
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 14:20
Registered Member

Hi Sue:
thanks for the recipe, it's even better because made with whey protein, which i have in different flavors and it's sweeneted with splenda. i'll ty this as soon as i finish my Flz-o-meal.
thank,
dina
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-30-03, 23:55

BF:

Dina, was it difficult to make cottage cheese? Have a recipie? I have always wanted to try to make this but never attempted it. My mom used to take curdled milk, cook is slowly and try to convince us it was cottage cheese. at the time we all thought she was wierd!! I wish I had her now to giggle with. She has Alzheimers and dosen't even know me. Know what you mean about being busy. I do have a little more time now than I did when everyone was home. I have 7 children but they are all out of the house during the day except my youngest and she I home school. So I have more time to do what I want to now.!

SUE: What a great recipie. I can't wait to try this. I think I have all the ingredients too. I get tired of eating eggs all the time so this will be a nice change. Do you know the carb breakdown? Can you substitute oat bran or rice bran? Would it change the carb count?
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:42
Registered Member

BF:

Glad you like it! I use Biochem Ultimate Low Carb Whey, so these numbers are based on their label plus fitday for the rest (I didn't include the stevia):

Fat 109g
Protein 134g
Carbs 173g
Fiber 129g

So the entire recipe has 54 net carbs, or about 6.75g per 1/2 cup serving. If you add the coconut, it's about 9g.

I've been eating double servings of it (with coconut), but now that I see the numbers, I think I'll rethink doing that

Sue
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:

ok, obviously I can't do simple arithmatic...

It has 44 net carbs, or 5.5g per serving (7.8 with coconut)... (I knew 6.75 sounded too high!)

#15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-31-03, 19:21

BF:

Thats not a bad rate for me! Been worried about the cottage cheese and yogurt because of the carbs and putting on weight. You gave me the idea of the whey powder and not having it handy, I tried this today:
1/2 cup flax seed ground
l pkg stevia
1/4 frozen bluberries thawed
and poured over all, the whey I saved from making yogurt. It was delicious! Couldn't taste the flax oil and you can make it as thick/thin as you like!!(Protien mixed well with flax oil-so no oil shows-makes it most assimilated by your body)(this is from Dr.Bidwig's Protien Oil Diet.) That is why the cottage cheese/yogurt was being used. But this "whey" I'm not wasting all that protien! (My dh uses it for shakes and power drinks) And, except for thickness of the Yog/cot.ch you can hardly tell that its missing...well almost!!! mary PS, Do you know what the breakdown is of just plain old whey . I'm not too sure how to use fit day. It took me so long to get used to this forum and I am still struggling here!! Mary

Last edited by Laczkoskie : Wed, Dec-31-03 at 19:25.