Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Oct-25-03, 20:54

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

When I began this diet, I was hypoglycemic, suffered with migraines, and lithargic let alone overweight. Too many people do Atkins with the idea that they are going to lose alot of weight, really fast. When that doesn't happen, they jump off the wagon. What kept me on the diet wasn't the weightloss. It was the fact that I had only 2 migraines since I began this diet. I have not suffered from the shakiness and ravenous hunger that I get 1 1/2 to 2 hours after eating a meal. The Atkins woe has helped me to eat sensibly. The Atkins diet makes me feel good. The Atkins diet allows my blood cholesterols, triglycerides and glucose levels to be...perfect. I have lost 25 lbs this year so far which is the most I have ever lost and with the food that I have always loved. I would be crazy if I quit doing this.

Black57
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 05:30
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/120/125 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 111%

Keep up the good work Black57 and all hard working low carbers. Nothing is better than to free of the problems of high carbohydrate consumption.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Oct-26-03, 12:11

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

I am curious tho....does anyone know if Atkins has ever published any statistics?

How many people have had success with the plan? how many didn't? How many maintained their weight....and for how long?

I think these are the types of info that most of the critics would like to see!
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 13:11

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I have never been on a diet, afterall, I am not a diet person. when I planned to lose I make the resolution to lose 20 lbs. Until now, I have always failed because the only response my body gave me to low-fat and fewer calories was hunger and cravings. I now can eat the most wonderful food God has created. I still get hungry but the hunger is a more kinder gentler, hunger. The foods I crave are foods on the diet like steak, zuchini, mustard greens, salads and low carb cheesecake, ummmm and those Delight chocolate bars. You know how I said that I could never lose 20 lbs at any other time? Well, this year I lost 26 lbs and my tummy is happy and I consider myself a slow loser.
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 14:13

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

After reading this entire thread, it dawned on me that perhaps certain people were stalling due to foods they were eating that interfered with thyroid function. As Tsve stated, certain foods contain hormones, but neglected to mention that soy in any shape or form also contains hormones and toxins. If you are eating soy, low carb products containing soy proteins, etc., they may be interfering with your thyroid function. There are also other foods that interfere with Thyroid function. Check the site below for more information.

http://www.thyroid-info.com/

As for Koko and many others who have very little weight to lose and obviously do not have a lot of health issues to deal with, seem to be the most frustrated of low-carbers. Those of us who have lot's to lose and do have health issues cannot praise this way of eating enough. I thank God every day for finally directing me to my first low-carb book and I can do so on my knees where before they pained me so much I could barely touch them nevermind kneel.
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 16:57
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%

You didn't give this enough time. 5 or 6 weeks isn't alot of time. It took 2 months for me to get adjusted to the diet. If you don't want to do the diet tho that's fine, you need to be 100% commited.If you were to post what you eat maybe we could help point you in the right direction. Are you counting carbs? Are you drinking your water? All things to be considered. Cut back On LC baked goods. We'd need more info to be able to help, have a Merry Christmas, Judy
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-03, 06:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 230/211/185 Male 6
BF:20%
Progress:
Default 19 lbs. in 2 weeks

It's true and it's Atkins. After 2 years of trying just about everything under the sun, Atkins has allowed me to drop 19 lbs. in 2 weeks. I wouldn't have believed it myself, but it's true and I feel great.
  #68   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 11:43

Plan: starter
Stats: 200/160/155 Female 5 foot 9 inches
BF:
Progress: 89%

Hey, I am sorry you feel that this program is not working for you, I on the other hand have lost 35 pounds in about 4 months. I still have about 15 to so, and I have slowed down, but I am still eating LC. I have more energy, and I am over all a much happier person. I stated the program because a friend of mine lost alot of weight but it took her 6 months. I think it's different for everyone, and I really think if you stick to it you will start to see the weight just go away. My husband would come home and tell me that I looked like lost weight while he was at work. Just give it time, and don't stress over it, it will happen for ya!
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 17:42

Plan: Atkins/Counting Calories
Stats: 173/165/145 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 29%

I'm glad I read this ENTIRE thread! I lost 7 lbs when I first started in 4 weeks(for real this time, I half tried it awhile back) then gained a few back because I only 1/2 heartedly did this WOE over the Holidays. I never gave up entirely, just had a few bad meals. I am now down only a few lbs since I started, but I just noticed that I have only had 1 migraine in 6 weeks and the one I had had was a mild one! WOW I just realized this!

So I have to agree that this WOE is not only about weight loss, but overall being.

IMHO

Wee
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 13:22

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/180/150 Male 6 ft 1
BF:
Progress:
Default low carb sucessful on the west coast

we're on the west coast and notice that some people in our curves gym have lost well over a hundred pounds on the low carb. Haven't known anyone to not loose except the people who still ate carbs!!
One lady told me she just had to start her day with porridge and couldn't understand why she wasn't loosing weight. The people who stuck to under ten carbs a day and had wonderful seafood dinners with huge salads lost immediately.
I also noticed that people who tried low carb substitues like low carb bread or low carb sweets, instead of eliminating all breads and wheat products, did not have the same success rate. I think that the diet (like any) is suited to those who love meat, seafood, butter and salads..and don't care for sweets of any kind, especially fruit.
Personally, I not only eat whenever I like, but I am never hungry, and find it an easy lifestyle for me personally.
fit in Victoria
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Jan-10-04, 14:45

Stats: 275/261/200 Male 5-8.5
BF:
Progress: 19%

All I can say is that everybody loses weight different. I myself seem to be losing weight quickly. I have lost 20 pounds in 12 days. Doing about 10 carbs a day, eating 2-3 eggs with 4 slices of bacon. 2-3 breasts of chicken, pork wrapped in bacon. And going to wendys and ordering a triple cheeseburger everyday. I dont think im different from anyone else. I just stick to the diet, drink plenty of water, and eat as much fat as I can. The fat is the key.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 20:30
Registered Member

Stats: 3/3/14 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:
Default atkins

You've noticed that most people have not lost weight? I'm brand new to this forum and noticed just the opposite.
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Jan-17-04, 21:39

Plan: My Own/Atkins
Stats: 500/364/225 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 49%

Well my numbers speak for themselves......this is the first time in my life I can honestly stay with something, not be hungry and now I enjoy activities again.
I feel if you only have a couple pounds to loose it might not be for that person or slender people.
My husband is tall and slender and was LCing with me. His blood fat levels skyrocketed while mine have dropped like a stone! LCing wasn't for him and he is back in complex carbs but very little sugar and no caffine at that works for him. I had a lady complain to me that she needed to loose FIVE POUNDS and the LCing wasn't doing anything for her.......hey I told her to toss out the brownies and potato chips and just keep on eating like she was becaue perhaps it was the snacking on junk that put on the 5 pounds and not the healthy carbs. I also pointed out that weight can fluctuate from day to day.
Everything has been great on Atkins and I can't say enough good things about it.
Nibby
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:20
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

[QUOTE=KoKo]After trying this diet (Atkins) for 5 or 6 weeks,without impressive results I am quitting it, for me its been a waste of time. [QUOTE]

Plan: BFL/BFL
Stats: 143.5/134.5/120
BF:37%/25.%/19%

Losing almost half your weight you want to lose in 6 weeks is a total waste?

Perhaps you are young and still believe there is some magic weight pill or diet that can instantly transform you into a willowy super-model. I know I have been looking for that instant cure for about 25 years and haven't found it yet. I personally don't think any researchers should be allowed a vacation until they discover it and mass market it.

But the best thing I feel I can do is a a very slow, gradual weight loss and also eat in a way I feel is healthy and will adopt for the rest of my life. How can that be a waste of time? What is the alternative? Gaining 5 pounds a year on a high carb diet most likely.

You will most likely be in an endless loop of dieting and gaining unless you approach it with lots and lots of patience for your body that is programmed for survival and doesn't want to let go of fat. And understand and fight the rebellious portion of your brain that doesn't want to let go of comfortable old habits and adjust to things that are new and different.

Sadly though I can't take those last 25 years of my dieting experience and give you the result of my frustration and knowledge; that in the end there is no magic pill and no instant results. Its just grit and dogged stubborness that will see you through to success.
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jan-24-04, 23:37

Stats: 200/165/135 Female 5ft4
BF:
Progress: 54%

koko, i think you look beautiful in your pictures and you look like you are already close to your goal, so count your successes!! you've already done a great job!! are your stats correct? if so, i'm so jealous! what does it feel like to be down there?!?!? anyway, hope things go well for you...