Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 20:49

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I saw the show today and Dr. P really slipped up. He stated that carbs ( sugar ) causes insulin levels to go down ( big time wrong ). I am glad that he did not single out Atkins as being a fad but I am very dissapointed in how he is handling his understanding of low carb. He " needs to get real". He is giving his own version of the Atkins diet while calling Atkins a fad. Well, believe me, I am writing him again.

He is telling people how to do his version of low carb while pushing his book on how to do it right. I am going to tell him if he wants low carb dieting done correctly, he will have to refer to Dr. Atkins, Drs. Eades,Dr. Berstein, and Dr. Shwartzbein's books. Dr. Phil is falling short.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 20:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/199/170 Male 5' 10
BF:
Progress: 61%

It could be a huge plus for LC that Dr. Phil has shifted onto the attack.
The man is very calculating and probably knows precisely what he is doing. Not terribly different than the South Beach guy in that he re-labels his 2 week initial period and advocates more low-fat food.

Encourage the media to do a cynical story on his mistakes and his attempt to assume the low carb mantle of Dr. Atkins.

Direct emails to Salon magazine:

The editor's email is dtalbot~salon.com The editor's name is David Talbot.

Slate Magazine:

http://slate.msn.com// [Click on email in toward the upper RH corner]

and the New York Times News Room. [email is nytnews~nytimes.com]

A few good articles comparing Dr. Phil approach to Dr. A would help explain the LC WOE to those who don't get it.

I think people should also post their observations at about Dr. Phil's 7-steps book at www.amazon.com, www.powells.com, and www.barnesandnoble.com. If you think his ideas are warmed over Atkins, then say so. Clearly, DANDR is way cheaper--and more time-tested--than Dr. Phil's book.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 22:12

Stats: 197/187/135 Female 5'4"
BF:Too much!
Progress: 16%

Ok everyone, I was upset this morning when I first saw the show. It was the first time I had seen a show actually bashing Atkins (I missed the Larry King, etc.) Yes, he did specifically say ATKINS. He also mentioned South Beach Diet. Has anyone read that book? It seems to me that SB is basically what he is promoting, with very few changes. Yes, I have read his book because the psychological stuff helped me out. BUT, it seems to me that the beginning of the show (I DID use my remote after about 15 minutes) was mainly using scare tactics against low-carb plans. I know that this is a "psudeo-war" of the diets and everyone bashes everyone else, but it still peeves me when they don't get the facts straight. The dietician said the weight loss was only water weight, not real fat loss. Yes, I know the initial loss is water, but geez, I don't think I've lost over TWENTY pounds of water!! No way was thata all water.

I do have respect for him in that he has helped SO MANY people, but he seems to be pushing the bars, shakes, supplements of his diet plan just like everyone else. I think he's just trying to stomp out some of the competition and it's just "business."

I will continue to watch the show, but I will no longer tune in to the "weight loss challenge" days.

Leigh
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 01:05

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default some of its true

I respect all of your opinions, and we don't know Dr Phil so well here in australia, but I did want to make a couple of comments...

The brain does needs a certain number of calories a day to function (not sure of the exact number). If the brain can't get this from Carbs, it converts protein and fat into glycogen and the body uses this as a calorie or energy source.

I agree with KoKo that people should not get into a all carbs are bad mentality, I don't believe (and nor does Atkins) that living without good carbs forever is a good thing. Atkins does promote weight loss from fat, if you are burning your fat for energy, but at the end of the day it really does come down to the fact that we are eating less calories. Now please don't post hostile replies about how much you are eating... there is a metobolic advantage I believe, due to the drop in sugar and the ease that puts on your liver. The liver is after all the fat burning organ, and treating it better with less processed foods, more vegetables, good fats and (as a sideA) lots of water does make it function and burn fat better. But there is little question that at the end of the day, no matter what plan we follow, there is no magic about weight loss, you have to burn more calories than you need to lose weight This is science really, the body works in amazing ways. I can't speak for you all, but I got overweight from eating probably 1,000-2,000 calories a day more than I needed, mostly from the high calorie donughts, cakes, chocolates, etc. Now I'm sure if I had consmed 2000 calories a day more than i needed eating protein, cheeses, cream, etc, I would likely still be overweight.

I have been following Atkins for about 4 weeks, although I have researched every weight loss program thoroughly and read a lot (I am diabetic). I have lost 16 pounds, and am very happy with that. My blood sugars are great, and no doubt the insulin control helps the body not store fat. I have lost the same amount of weight on other programs in the same amount of time, the difference I think is that this programs seems easier FOR ME to maintain long term because low fat, high carb makes me hungry and deprived.

I intend to do what Atkins says and reintroduce good, Low GI, carbs back into my diet once i am close to losing the weight I want.

I see a lot of posts on the forum where people get quite upset about LC being bagged by media or people they know. I wouldn't really waste the energy getting all riled up about what other people say about low carb. At the end of the day, does it really matter what anyone else but ourselves think? I don't take it on board.

Have a great Low Carb Christmas everyone (off to make my LC cheesecake)

Luscious

Last edited by Luscious : Wed, Dec-24-03 at 01:24.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 02:27

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Personally, I never was riled up. I was however disappointed. I was disappointed in the continuing campaign of misinformation against LC. Be it Atkins, South Beach, or whatever.

I was disappointed that the show didn't focus on the reasons behind the participants weight gains, their struggles with dieting and the changes in lifestyle they have made to reach the levels of success they had achieved.

But then again, that would have been an episode of Oprah now wouldn't it?

OG
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 09:56
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

(Borrowed)

It appears that he promotes sugar highs and insulin spikes with his own line of meal replacement bars, which have more sugar in them than a KING SIZE BUTTERFINGER. I think Dr. Phil has some serious "issues" with sugar after reading the ingredients on his "Shape Up!" bars:

Dr. Phil
Shape Up! Complete Nutrition Bar Chocolate Peanut Butter

Meal Replacement or Nutritious Snack.
16g Protein
6g Dietary Fiber
24 Vitamins & minerals
210 Calories
Contains natural & artificial flavors.
Change your behavior, take control of your weight.
Complete and balanced nutrition.
Meal replacement or nutritious snack.

26g carbohydrates

. Ingredients
Syrup Blend , Corn Syrup , Peanut Butter , Sugar , Hydrogenated Starch , High Fructose Corn Syrup , Carrageenan , Crisps , Soy Protein Isolate , Tapioca Starch , Soy Fiber , Oat Fiber , Rice Flour , Malt Extract , Chocolate Flavored Coating , Lactitol , Fractionated Palm Kernel Oil , Cocoa , Sucralose , Lecithin , Distilled Monoglycerides , Sodium Caseinate , Calcium Phosphate , Peanut Flour , ..............

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...push&navCount=0
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 10:50
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Operaghost
Personally, I never was riled up. I was however disappointed. I was disappointed in the continuing campaign of misinformation against LC. Be it Atkins, South Beach, or whatever.

I was disappointed that the show didn't focus on the reasons behind the participants weight gains, their struggles with dieting and the changes in lifestyle they have made to reach the levels of success they had achieved.

But then again, that would have been an episode of Oprah now wouldn't it?

OG

Then you must not have watched the "Weight Loss Challenge" shows of the last few weeks. He's gone in depth with the 13 participants, really digging until they can identify and fix the underlying reasons for their struggle with weight.

Even I, a die-hard Phil-ophile, was a little disheartened that the "Booty Camp" episode seemed to be anti-low carb, but in the context of the OTHER shows and book, can see where he's coming from.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 12:15

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

Blah. Dr. Phil is annoying.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 15:49

Stats: 351/229.6/200 Male 73 inches (that's 6'1)
BF:??%%/24.5%
Progress: 80%

Your right Potato, I did not see the other shows. I only saw this latest one.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 16:32

Plan: Atkins+
Stats: 386/285/200 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 54%

I have to disagree with some of what Luscious has posted above.
The brain runs, if anything, better on ketones than carbs (sugars) It's true that a certain amount of sugar can be made from protein in the liver , but the primary fuel for all of the body in a low carb diet is broken down fats, i.e. ketones.
The metabolic advantage has nothing to do with easing the liver, but how the body uses ketones for fuel and the difficulty of storing boidy fat in the abscence of insulin. In several studies done in the last couple of years, it has been shown that low carb dieters can lose more weight while eating more calories than low fat dieters. Numerous people have posted stories of losing weight on a higher low carb dietary calorie intake that what they would gain on in a low fat diet.
Nyah Levi
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-24-03, 22:01

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Well, I did write Dr. Phil twice to let him know that there were many people watching his show who were better at explaining low carb/insulin spikes and sugar highs than he. I told him of the mistakes that he is making. I don't expect a response but according to the acknowledgement, he is going to read my messages.

Happy Holidays All,
Black
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 07:33

Stats: 265/177/165 Male 6 ft
BF:
Progress:

I agree with Charles Barkley, "How can Dr.Phil tell you how to lose weight? Dr. Phil's FAT!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 08:39

Stats: 205/?/160 Female 66 inches
BF:Who knows?!
Progress: 53%

GCamp13 - THANK YOU! That's what I've been saying for ages!!!!!! As the Bible says, don't try to take the speck out of your brother's eye without first removing the plank in your own!! Sheesh. That's why I don't watch him.

On the subject of ketones, I found an article (I know, wrong forum, but it directly addresses something someone on THIS thread said about the brain using carb/keytones... it's postive, I promise!

www.ketosis-ketoacidosis-difference.com

Blessings!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 09:19

Stats: 232/170/140 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

I agree....Dr Phil has helped me with my inner problems and I am fixing my outer problems with my WOL...I have lost and now am learning how to deal with losing the weight and keeping my mental status solid...I have learned to follow his 7 keys using my meal plans...not his...and it helps me.

Marcie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg During.jpg (27.9 KB, 12 views)
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Dec-26-03, 19:29

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 230/214/140 Female 5 Feet 0 Inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

Dr Phil does not say "you need to get skinny" or " you need to fit in to this frame to fit your height" He states to get to the best weight for you personally. So I think it is unfair to call Dr. Phil fat and that he should not be giving people advice on eating and exercise. He does not claim to be perfect but I am sure he does not have the hidden demons a lot of people have towards eating, when you get rid of those the rest is easy. So does that go for most of us on here who give advice to the newbies who as for help? I know it is different but I mean none of us are skinny so should we not give help to others?? Also Dr. Phil exercises everyday, and eats well...some of us are not made to be twigs.