Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 15:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Fat Fast Anyone?

Ok, starting today I am beginning this fat fast thing. I've been stalled at the same weight despite sticking to my diet like GOLD. Its so weird because I used to lose weight on Atkins so easily by just going on induction again if I'd gained a few pounds. But this time has been different for some reason. I feel like I'm fighting for every pound instead of having the weight just fall away as it has in the past. I cannot figure out what I'm doing differently - the only different thing about me is that I had my gallbladder removed three months ago. Anyway, does anyone have any experience with the fat fast, and did it work to stop a stall for anyone?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 15:06

BF:

p.s. reading this forum has been the only thing to help me stick to my diet so well this time since its been more difficult going. Thanks everybody!!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:09
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

Yo-yo-ing off and on induction is notorious for slowing the whole process down. You may want to re-read the "uses and abuses of induction" about that. It's on pg. 215.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:13

BF:

I promise I feel like it has something to do with havinmy gall bladder out though. I NEVER had any problems with it until then. But I can't figure out what that would change physically or if it would make me metabolize at a slower rate? Anyway, I'm not going to go off of Atkins this time even after I reach my goal weight, its been too much work to get back to it!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:23
Fully Caffeinated

I've read many others posts about doing Atkins after their gallbladder was removed, amd the consensus for them, anyway, was they still lost. Maybe doing a search in the health forum would uncover those threads for you.

IMO, the fat fast would make your problem worse in the long run. You MAY drop those last pounds, but from others who've tried, it becomes nearly impossible not to gain when you resume even induction-level carbs. I'm sure there are people for whom it worked for this purpose, but most of the ones I know were not happy.

Best of luck no matter what you choose, though.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:51

Plan: Yudkin
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 000
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Tips and Stalls

sydnarella,
you can read many threads/posts from people experiences with fat fast under the "Tips and Stalls", here":
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=14
(Or by using the search funtion.)

Last edited by Galadriell : Sun, Dec-21-03 at 21:10.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 21:34

BF:

Thanks everyone for all of the advice, I'll let you know how it goes!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 17:18

BF:

Ok - here's how it went. It didn't, not at all. I find that the main reason I really LOVE Atkins is that I don't have to go hungry. So eating only 1000 calories a day just isn't going to work. I was so hungry last night that I finally cooked and ate 12 oz of bacon! (hey, it coulda been worse, coulda been 12 oz of Chunky Monkey Ice cream) And also I thought, hey its Christmas! I can do low carb over the holidays with no problem, but who wants to be hungry? Sooooo, I'm evaluating my stall again, and the one thing I keep coming back to is that I am not drinking water like I did last time I was on Atkins and was very successful with it. Also, I was walking five times a week and I'm not doing that now. So I'm going to <sigh> join the gym and make myself drink my water and I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 19:52

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Someone on these boards, recently posted about having a difficult time losing after having her gall bladder removed. I don't recall which forum it was under. If I were going through your experience, I would remain consistant and return to my exercise and water drinking routine/
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 20:20

Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5'8''
BF:30%/26.2%/23%
Progress: 78%

Weight loss can slow down as you get close to your goal weight. Your stats show that you are pretty close, so you might want to factor that in too.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 21:19
Fully Caffeinated

I can't say I'm not glad you aren't fat-fasting. I was worried about your health.

You're on the right track with the exercise and water. Good luck and keep us posted.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 21:35

Plan: atkins
Stats: 146/123/123 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

i just fixed my stall without having to go on the fat fast. it isnt an easy fast i have done it before. what i did was really watch what i was eating, and guess what i wasnt eating enough carbs. i wasnt eating my 3 cups of salad a day. not even close, so i really watched and i dont like lettuce so i eat spinach fresh and have since lost 2 pounds in the last 3 days. really watch the carbs you must get as close to 20 as possible i have more now since im off induction and feeling much better. my mom has had her gallbladder removed and has no problems with this way of life since having it done. good luck
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 09:10

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Sydnarella: Just be patient and stick with it. Our stats are somewhat similar, although you are two inches taller than me. I started Atkins in July 2002, and lost 18 pounds in four months, my weight loss then stalled for five months! Talk about frustration and lots of tweaking, but nothing seemed to work.

I ended up going back to "Induction-level" carbs (mind you, I didn't say Induction), made sure my fat % was up in the 70s, drank lots more water than I had been drinking, established a light weight-lifting regimen. I even contemplated binging on good carbs and even outright binging.

At the end of my five-month stall was my daughter's birthday. I was so frustrated that I resigned myself to eating chocolate cake and pizza at her party. Well, the morning of her party, I awoke to a two pound whoosh (guess all my modifications in the second paragraph finally paid off)! Needless to say, no pizza and cake for me. It took me four more months to lose the last seven pounds. Oh it has been slow going, but I was in no real hurry, seeing as this is a WOL now. Good luck on your LC journey!!!

Last edited by paradise : Tue, Dec-23-03 at 09:14.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-25-03, 12:23

BF:

Thanks so much for all of your help. I was getting so frustrated because I've been doing so well in terms of not cheating, I even turned down a million requests to "just try this one piece of homemade candy, it won't hurt your diet" saying, "You don't understand, I eat that and pretty soon I'll be trying to dip the car in chocolate and eat the entire thing in one sitting." But I've been drinking a LOT of water and I'm going to join the gym Monday. Anyway, I woke up this morning and had finally lost another pound. Which makes it a lot easier for me to be good when I go to my dad's for Christmas dinner today! Thanks for being so supportive everyone and Merry Christmas!!!