Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 19:17

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default I figured out why my chin is full zits dammit!

I have always had teenage skin. I am 46 years old and I continue to use special cleansers for my skin. I play the flute, so if I don't wash my mouth piece before playing on it, my chin will break out.

My chin broke out really bad lately to my chagrin. Today I ate ate Ruby's Diner and ordered a big, greasy double cheese burger wrapped in lettuce. It goes all over my face and I have to use a napkin after each bite. This happens at In and Out Burger and everywhere els. I am such a sloppy eater. It dawned on me, today, that when I eat these newfangled burgers, I will need to wash my face immediately afterward or I will look like I just came into puberty.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:41

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

You know, black, you'd think that by the time we hit our 40's we'd be able to leave acne behind as we get ready to embrace menopause, but I have the same problem.
For me, though, it's any type of foundation. I wear makeup only rarely because of it and when I do, I'm sure to be trying to clear up an unwelcome harvest of zits for the next week or two. Since I'm not willing to spend 50 bucks for a bottle of foundation that may or may not have the same effect, I just skip it unless I simply can't avoid it.
I keep hoping I'll outgrow it eventually...I'd hate to think I'll still be getting zits when I'm in my 80's and asking my grandchildren if I can borrow their acne cream!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 23:36
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Get a very gental clenser. Washing your face too often esp with soap, can dry it out and make the skin produce even more oils. Then you brake out even more.

You may have to get out a frok and knife. I would definetly recomend Neutragena Skin Clearing makeup. It really keeps my face from getting too oily and helps alot with breakouts. I get blackheads on my chin mroe then major breakouts. I pickes up some of those biore strips to help. One of my big problems is if I ever get a stuffy nose and droll in my sleep TMI

While you are 40, it could be hormone related just as in puberty. Even if you aren't going through menopause your body may be starting to change and hormones get wacked out. Losing weight also can have a major effect on hormones as estrogen is stored in fat cells and overweight women have higher estrogen levels.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 09:42
Brown-Eyed Girl

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I'm 28 and just recently finished a 6 month treatment of Acutane. I loved it. For the first time, EVER, my face is under control. Acutane killed off the virus causing adult acne. I didn't have any side effects except exceptionally dry skin while using it. If your serious about taking control of the problem, I would recommend seeing a dermatologist about starting a 6 month treatment of Acutane.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:06

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just to put my two cents in. I use Proactiv and have for about 2-3 years. I think it works great. I haven't tried the makeup yet but they do make it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:12

Stats: 200/175/190 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 250%

Here's a little secret I found out on my own....Take Ginger root capsules 2-3 times a day. I have never read this anywhere else but by god it works like a charm. Just had my girlfriend start taking it and she cleared up right away. Plus it's very good for you!
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:15

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2

Like Adukart, I use Proactiv cleansing treatment as well - I got a very bad breakout over the summer and started using this product, I'm very happy with it and never had a problem again.

Vikki
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:18
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

I tried ProActiv a few years ago, but didn't have the great results you guys are talking about. I guess different products work for different people. It was certainly cheaper than Acutane though. Fortunately, I had insurance. Without it, my Acutane would have been about $735.00 a month during my final month. Ouch!
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:19

Wow, and I thought Proactiv was expensive at $80.00 every two months.

vikki
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:30
Brown-Eyed Girl

BF:

Yep. The pills are about $12.00 a piece. I took 3 on even days and 2 on odd days. Ouch! Wouldn't have been taking them if my it wasn't $10.00 with the good old insurance card.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:32

You're so lucky you have insurance, I've heard that many people in the US don't have insurance, which is insane, IMHO.

Vikki
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 11:09

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Wow, so many comments on this subject. I have been considering using proactiv. I had a friend that used it and she has beautiful skin. I have no plans of using accutane. Isn't that an oral treatment. Even though I am older, I am still in my child bearing years. If I should happen to get pregnant, I do not want my baby exposed to that. Also, if I should get pregnant, would someone beat the crap outta me, please.

I do believe that I am going through peri-menopause which would explain my weight gain. I believe that peri-menopause can contribute to diabetes, it is my own little theory. My mom had no real symptoms of going through menopause. SHe said that one day TOM just stopped with no warning. Likewise,I have no definite symptoms except for my age. So I look at subtle warnings, namely weight gain.

Vikki, we have insurance but it is hard to come by. My husband pays for health insurance but we are undercovered. Actually, those who receive welfare and other government programs are well insured. As-a-matter-of-fact they tend to abuse their coverage because they have so much of it. I used to be on welfare and I had free everything; eye/dental care, health care. I could have gotten braces for nothing.

USA talks about Canada's insurance coverage all the time.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 14:20

Stats: 220/193/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 41%

I also use ProActive and love it. I've always had problem skin until last year when I broke down and bought the stuff - to me, it's a miracle cure. I tried Accutane years ago but was scared off by the liver problems the stuff can cause - check the package insert - it's positively frightening.

I now buy Proactive off ebay and only buy the repairing lotion (1ts a 3 step process but I use other stuff for the cleanser and toner). I find that it costs me about $15/month for the repairing lotion.

I say go with the proactiv.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 15:30

Stats: 273/245.0/150 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Proactive??? Do you think this would work for severe rosacea? Mine is so bad I can't go out of the house w/out make-up. I've tried some gel the doctor suggested but the side effect is reddness in the face. Now explain that to me. Sorry about getting off the subject but I'm desperate. Thanks
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 16:07
Whoosh me baby!

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 276/258/180 Female 66 inches
BF:Yep, gots to go
Progress: 19%

I know some people have real acne problems, but I have found that I wear my cheats on my face. When I stick to Induction level carbs I don't break out-except for Herald (my huge pre-period pimple). My face has broken out since my two-week cheat.