Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 390/270/270 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Losing weight too fast?

I've been on atkins since October 20th, and I've already lost about 50lbs. I'm averaging about 6.5lbs a week right now, and I'm wondering if I'm losing too fast? I'm a big guy, and need to lose a lot of weight (I'm 6'4" and started at 375lbs), but I'm wondering if this extreme weight loss is a bad thing or not. I've stayed on induction up until now as that's what's been getting me results. I initially planned to stay on induction until I reach my goal of 270lbs, but I don't know whether or not that's a good idea. Is it bad to lose weight this fast?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 11:00
Brown-Eyed Girl

Stats: 260/153/155 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 102%

I have heard the more you have to loose, the easier it comes off and often quicker. I don't think it is bad to stay on Induction until you are closer to your goal weight provided you are still feeling good, drinking your water, and have lots of energy. One of the signs to loosing weight too fast, is aching and muscle pain. Have you experienced any of this?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 11:27

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I agree with OhioKim. Also, men have a higher metabolism then us girls and tend to lose alot of weight easily. As you get closer to your goal, weightloss should slow. I, personally, would move on to OWL after reaching 300 lbs. But are you sure that you want to make your final goal at 270 lbs. I am guessing that when you reach your goal weight of 270 lbs, you may still be overweight so you might want to lose more now that you see how easy it is. My goal weight, at first was 135 lbs. Then I saw that weightloss was such a reality on this diet, I changed my goal to my old weight of 125 lbs.

Whatever you choose to do, this diet will continue to work for you.

Black
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 11:28
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

My DH had alot to loose and boy did he oose at a quick rate. I was a lil jealous needless to say ...lol
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 13:06

Stats: 390/270/270 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've experienced no muscle pain or aches and I have a lot of energy still. I've heard that it's not always good to lose weight too fast, which is why I was wondering. I will change my goal weight at some point, I just wanted to pick a realistic goal to begin with, and I'm achieving that goal much faster than I ever anticipated. Still blows me away how effective this WOE is.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-22-03, 14:05

Stats: 166/160/143 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 26%

It is true that the more you ahve to lose, the faster you will lose it.

I think, if you feel fine, you should keep at it.