Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 13:51

Plan: atksins
Stats: 285/233/170 Male 5"9
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default I'm very sick, i think i should cheat!! whats the best way to get OUT of atkins?

Well, 3 days ago, i got that tickling feeling in the back of my throat....yesterday it was light cough, and waking up this morning...my voce is gone, and im coughing more....this is gonna be a big one.

Now, I firmly believe that if someone is sick, they can get better while on Atkins....HOWEVER, i think that it may take a tad longer to get better on atkins.

Now heres the thing, i have a family trip to Las Vegas planned for next week...most of it is prepayed, and i really dont want to be sick for that.

Even if not being on atkins would help me get better 1 day quicker, its worth it...

So this afternoon, i think i will go off....i dont know what to eat though!..i dont want to feel more sick...i was thinking just any soup would do...then some veggies....

tomorrow more soup, and slowly add some fruit? then maybe some stir-fry...light rice?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 14:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

To tell you the truth, what you eat probably isn't going to get you well any quicker...then again, that's not quite true. The important thing when you are sick is to make sure that you get plenty of fluids and rest. Vitamins are important too so a good multivitamin might be helpful if you're not already taking one. Other than that, the virus will run its course as it pleases.
There has been some evidence that cutting sugar out of your diet acutally helps strengthen your immune system, not weaken it since too much sugar in your bloodstream can prevent your infection fighting cells from doing their jobs effectively.
Broth with veggies like green beans, broccoli, cauliflower, onions, garlic, etc...would make a good nutritious soup full if vitamins. You could toss in some chicken or other meat for the protein portion.
Hope you get better in time for your trip!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 15:54
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

I agree with Lisa N. I don't think carbs will heal you any faster. Lots of fluids and rest, and you'll be fine.

Viruses like colds and the flu run their course in 7-10 days no matter WHAT you do.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 20:19

Plan: just low carb
Stats: 350/305/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 23%

As someone who grew up with a grandmother that fed you anything you wanted when you were sick, I can understand the temptation to stray off the path. I doubt, however, it will help much.

Have lots of chicken broth, its excellent for keeping the juices flowing.

If you have a cold, get some zycam -- it gets rid of a cold quicker than anything else I know of.

Also, as silly as it sounds, put something like mentholatum on the bottom of your feet and pull on some socks before you go to bed at night. It will open your head right up.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 20:30

Plan: Atkins+coffee
Stats: 290/185/180 Male 71 inches
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 95%

I recently came down with a cough similar to what you described. And to be honest, it seemed to go quicker now then before I was Atkins. I am eating more Veggies and taking more vitamins than I did before the diet.

In my case it took 4 days to get over it.

--nw
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 09:23
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yeah, count me in with the "colds don't last long anymore" group. Now that I stay LC, colds barely last 3-4 days and I get minimal bronchitis. I have asthma, so until I was LCing, a cold automatically meant weeks of coughing from a secondary lung infection. No more!

As soon as I feel the tickly thing, I take echinacaea, zinc and raw garlic - just plain and chopped up. Gross, but it gives viruses a whoopin'.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 09:24
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%

I don't think that straying from Atkins will get you better more quickly. It will probably hinder efforts.

http://www.mercola.com/article/insulin.htm

Check out this article and the links for grains and diseases

take care,
Meg
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 10:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I totally agree that atkins strengthens your immune system. I used to get some form of a cold at least every month in the autumn and winters, and I haven't been sick once since I started. My live-in SO has been sick with the flu for over a week and I haven't even gotten one sniffle. Going off of atkins is definitely not the way to get rid of the cold. Make your own low-carb soup, eat some sf jello, and drink lots of water!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 14:24
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I had the flu last week. I made soup with chicken broth, meat from rotisserie chicken, a little broccoli and I sliced up a lowcarb wheat tortilla and put it in last. It was really good and made me feel better. I bought a packet of spices and made egg drop soup. It has protein from the egg and the broth and green onion were good too, only 5 carbs. I took Zinc plus tablets, their great for killing the germs in your throat, it also echinecea and vit C and stuff. Everytime I took one I would feel completely healthy for a few hours.

I also had some big glasses of diet sprite to get extra liquids.

I think you can stay lowcarb and will be just fine. If you need an extra treat for being sick have some lowcarb candy or ice cream.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 15:23

Stats: 190/145/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I agree - you can get very low carb chicken broth, and add whatever you want thats also low carb, and sugar free jello, those types of things are great when you're sick.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 19:26

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

As soon as I feel the tickly thing, I take echinacaea, zinc and raw garlic - just plain and chopped up. Gross, but it gives viruses a whoopin'. [/QUOTE]

I don't use the garlic, but I swear by the zinc and echinacaea. DH and DD had very bad colds (7 days in bed!) and half my first graders were sick. Thursday I got that throat tickle. I statred the zinc immediatly. Friday I had a few minor symptoms but never really came down with a cold at all. Today I am fine!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:02
Registered Member

Plan: Akins
Stats: 197/184/150 Female 5'3
BF:lots/less/less
Progress: 28%

Something in a boiled chicken has healing in it. Also Equate non-drowsy Day time liquid caps or night time one for night is a cold/flu over the counter( a NyQuil pill with no sugar) will help you sleep too. Lots of water/sf sprite and you'll feel better in a few days -I did. Hope you get to feeling better real soon. Eating high carb I was sick too much so watch out.
paj
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:05
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by paj
Something in a boiled chicken has healing in it.

Maybe, but it didn't do the chicken any good!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 20:50
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 237/223.6/180 Male 70 inches
BF:33/24/12
Progress: 24%

My wife had the flu lastweek and continued to LC and she was over it in 4 days taking only dayquil

Carbs is not the answer for sure
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-23-03, 09:20
Registered Member

Stats: 146/132/125 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Cool I heal faster on Atkins too...

Pre~Atkins I used to get REALLY REALLY sick every year...atleast once! Sometime more! I'm talking Ear Infection, Broncitos (sp?), no voice, Strep Throat & Sinus Infection! Since starting Atkins a little over a year ago I haven't gotten really sick once! I've gotten a hint of a cold here and there but it's never fully developed and is usually gone withina 2 days! No more being bed ridden around Christmas! YAY!

I agree that LOTS AND LOTS of water and fluids! And the chicken broth with chunks of chicken sounds WONDERFUL! I think I'll have that for dinner tonight just cause it's cold and sound yummy!

GOOD LUCK and just remember that falling off once can take a long time to get back into it~I fell off the Atkins wagon and it took me several months to get started again!

Have fun in Vegas! ;0)