Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How do you tell a diabetic?

How would I explain the Atkins diet to a diebetic (type II) that doesn't understand? I really need help with this one. It's my fiance's sister and she refuses to listen and I also have no idea how to explain it to her in the slightest. She insists that she needs carbs to stay healthy, if she gets low on carbs she will get sick. I have no idea about diabetes, I have read the whole Atkins book but am confused about the diabetes stuff because I never had to worry about it. Could someone explain it to me on here in simple terms and then I can print it and show her it or maybe just remember it and explain it to her? By the way she is very large, and has been dieting forever and drinks way more water than I do (I drink 120oz. a day).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:50

Plan: Atkins since 5/27/03
Stats: 202/167/150 Female 67.25
BF:
Progress: 67%

I don't think you can convince her. It's her health and her choice and she may be resistant to a small person telling her how to manage her health. I know I wouldn't have been interested in hearing it. I know you are coming from a good place and want to help her. I am sure she understands her diabetes well, if you want to give her the book as a "love" gift that might be the only way to go. Evne then don't expect instant results you may unintentionally be hurting her feelings so be careful where and how you tread with this one...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:57
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree with Ashley that you can't make someone understand if they are resistant to such information.

My only suggestion is that if you are thinking of buying her a book, give her a copy of Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Dr Bernstein is himself an insulin dependent diabetic, and so she may be more likely to accept that information.

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:58

Plan: Dr Bernstein
Stats: 195/175/170
BF:
Progress: 80%

Rather than Atkins, I would recommend Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution, it is the same idea, lowcarb, but specifically geared to diabetics, both type 1 and type 2. As you may know, there is a part of this site that deals with it, there is also a site specifically for it, just Google on "Dr Bernstein's" and you will find it. You can read parts of the book online, also many testimonials from people who got their diabetes under MUCH better control with lowcarb and exercise. Unless she already has perfect results, in other words, normal sugars, if she has an open mind at all she will see that she can improve. Some people have been able to stop insulin, others decrease it, some decrease oral meds or do without. Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:59

BF:

Thanks ashley,
That's exactly what I thought so when she denied to me that it would help her I let her explain to me that she needs carbs and let it go. She took about 20 min. to explain it all and tell me a few stories about her experiences but I never interupted and did nod a couple times so she knew I was listening. It got to the point that I was confused about the whole diabetes and low carb thing and she just about convinced me into her way of thinking. Then I read some of the CAD website and I think the controlling of carbs and insulin level stuff I understood.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:01

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 245/240/190 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 9%

I have found out in my dealings with family, the initial family member (ie her sister), should be the one to offer advice and make suggestions. It is not that you are unable to make good suggestions or that you care any less but sometimes it is easier to be heard from an immediate family member than an inherited one. Now, I grew up and only child, so this was foreign to me until I married the baby of seven siblings. I have found that if my hubby passes on my ideas to his family, it is taken more seriously, not percieved as a threat and more likely to be implemented than if I make the suggestion. Please keep this in mind when dealing with your sister-in-law.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:05

BF:

Thanks everyone, I am not going to give her a book or anything I am just going to let her be. She may learn on her own in time, I do not want to insult her. She is not happy with her weight so when she goes to switch her diet again maybe she will read up on low carb. She is in complete control of her diabetes, she does not take meds at all and I would hate for it to be my fault if changing her diet hurt her in any way. I guess I will leave it at that.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:55

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 193/167/150 Female 5'10?
BF:
Progress: 60%

My FIL is a type II diabetic and his nurse told him to eat lower carb foods. Wouldn't this be something the doctors tell them to do anyway?
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:07

Plan: CALP (switched from Atkins)
Stats: 189/169/145 Female 63 inches
BF:Way/too/high
Progress: 45%

Adukart, since your in-law to be has her diabetes under control, I think you are doing the right think by letting it rest for now.

My mother's story is similar. She recently found out she is diabetic and was sent to a registered dietician who has her eat fewer carbs. The dietician of course insisted that Atkins style low carbing is unhealthy and she told my mother that she *needs* a certain amount of carbs to function. (She also told my mother everyone *needs* fruit... but let's not go there.)

In less than a month after giving up sugar and eating fewer carbs, in controlled portions on a controlled schedule, my mother is maintaining her blood sugar at non-diabetic levels without medication, so she isn't willing to listen to me about low carb for the moment. I too have chosen to let it be, though Santa may still bring her Dr Bernstein's book.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:38

Stats: 230/201/140 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have had type II diabeties for 10 years now. My Dr. can't beleive that I don't need medication now. My blood sugars are in the 80s to 90s. He says diabetics always get worse and need medication and finally (if they live long enough) insulin. I saw him today and he was amazed at my readings. If your sister in law starts to have problems she will probably be more interested in changing her program. You have planted a seed. Give it time to grow.

Last edited by judyr : Fri, Dec-19-03 at 18:40.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 19:33

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Wouldn't this be something the doctors tell them to do anyway?

Some doctors will. Most will still refer you to a dietician after your initial diagnosis of diabetes. Most (not all) dieticians are still sold on the ADA diet which is much higher in carbs than is good for most diabetics. Since a lot of folks are way high on carbs in their pre-diabetic days, the ADA diet is a reduction (150-200 grams of carb per day) and they may appear to be doing well with diet control...for a while. Then their blood sugar control starts to get worse and eventually gets out of control. This is exactly what happened to me. I think this is why so many doctors expect their patients to get worse; first moving to oral medications and then eventually needing insulin. What amazes me is that they consider this the "normal" progression of the disease instead of thinking that maybe it could be avoided by changing a person's diet.
Diabetes by nature means that the person has a problem with carbohydrate metabolism, more than likely complicated by some degree of insulin resistance. It doesn't make sense to me to take a person who already is having problems metabolising carbohydrates and instead of telling them to cut back on those, tell them to cut back on proteins and fats instead and only cut back on carbs a little.
Would I have switched to low carb sooner had I known 10 years ago what I know now? Yes! But instead it took my blood sugars going out of control and winding up on oral medications (along with developing high blood pressure) to convince me that there was something wrong with what I was doing and it needed changing.
I work with a lady who went directly to insulin control when she was diagnosed with diabetes and has multiple health problems on top of it. I loaned her my book (Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution). She read it, gave it back and said she'd stick with the recommendations of the diabetes clinic (the ADA diet that failed me so miserably). You can lead a horse to water....
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 19:58

Plan: Atkins > SBD from 27Sep04
Stats: 291/279/190 Female 5ft 9
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Tough one...

I am type II diabetic. My BGL has dropped from 17 to 7 since i started low carbing. I am hoping to reduce my oral mediction over the next few months, and my goal is to be eventually free of it if possible.

My doctor recommended Atkins to me. When i was diagnosed I was advised by diabetic nutritionalist to eat low Glycemic Index carbs, but the carb count was still around 200 g a day. there is a swing happening around what is the best for diabetics. My dad is insulin dependent, and as far as I can tell injects insulin just so he can eat carbs. He aslo refuses to listen to me, so I leave him be.

A low carb diet similar to Atkins (vegetables, protein) was how diabetics maintained their health prior to insulin becoming available to the masses by the way

If your SILs levels are under control, and she is not or happy taking meds, then there is not a lot to be done. I was in denial about my levels for a long time. Perhaps she will come around in time.

Luscious
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:07

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

I think there's beginning to be a shift in the thinking: a friend of mine's father is diabetic, and his new dietician told him he should cut down on the carbs. Now he's eating more like my friend, who is doing Atkins.
Now I will discuss this with my father...whose diabetes was a major factor in my taking up low carbing.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:19

Stats: 193/183/159 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 29%

The reason people switch to low carb is through witnessing someone doing well on it. The results speak louder than words.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 20:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%

The feeling you had when she was trying to explain her point to you.. and you just got lost and nodded a couple of times so she'd know you were "listening"... is likely how SHE felt when you were trying to talk low-carb to her.

You're wise to just leave her be about it.