Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 20:33
Lowcarb since 7/2002

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 360/232/180 Female 5'9"
BF:BMI 53.2/34.3/?
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossling
Obviously it's scary to me (think I need to get Dr. Phil's book to work through some interior stuff), 'cause I have very carefully kept myself at 275 for a couple of weeks. Yes, I said that right--I know why I'm not losing, and I'm still doing it. Not gaining, either, mind you. Just not losing.

I've done this on occasion and I don't think there is anything wrong with it. In fact, I think it is a good idea. When you think about it, those of us in the TDC are going through physical changes as big or bigger than the changes we went through during adolescence. That is scary. Stopping and maitaining for a while so we can get used to our bodies before losing more strikes me as a very good thing to do. We need to get used to how we look and how we feel and where we physically fit and how people react to us. I don't think that going full speed ahead and losing continuously is necessarily the only healthy thing to do. It may work for some of us, but it probably doesn't work for all of us.

Also, for me, periodically going on maintenance ensures me that when I do reach my goal I will be able to easily maintain it. Right now I am in losing mode, but I have to travel for work at the end of January and again in early February and I will probably go back into maintenance mode then, both because it is easier when I am travelling and because by then I think I will need a break to get used to my current size.

Last edited by liz175 : Thu, Dec-18-03 at 20:35.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-03, 21:19
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
but I had an apathy about myself,

Posted yesterday by Kyrasdad. As usual, I'm a bit slow on the uptake, but this is a marvelous thread I've just wandered into. I've never been obviously morbidlly obese (big shirts and men's sweatsuits hide lots of problems) though technically I have been at over 160. I'm short, so even thin was never curvaceous. Sort of mildly averagely attractive, at times in my life.

But I had clearly become apathetic in recent years. Health concerns made me wake up. Even though I love what I am eating, I doubt I could have continued with this WOE if it were not for this forum.

I find myself thinking about the "hiding behind the fat" theory, and I don't think it fits for me. Mostly I'm in the lazy and complacent category of weight gainers. Who will I be when I lose more weight? Pretty much the same person I have always been, except that I hope I will be me for a significantly longer number of years.....

Kay
  #33   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:13

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYounginer
I just wanted to add this in. My mother grew up in the "twiggy" days... so even though she was probably 20 or 30 pounds overweight as a child, she was always considered to be fat. As she got older, and I came, she gained alot of weight. She stays around 270 now. About 7 years ago, she went to a weight loss center and lost it all. She was down to a beautiful size 12 and look fabulous. To celebrate, my dad went out and bought her a nice firebird sports car. After that, it was all differant. She was getting too much attention from men, some of it even scary at times. And about 6 months later I remember her saying that she didn't want to be thin. That she couldn't handle the attention that she was getting... but she was going to stick to her diet and stay healthy. Well, here it is 2004 and she's back up to 270... and happy, but as we all know not healthy.

Is it possible, that in your mom's case, she is healthy? Not all fat people are unhealthy, although of course, how could anyone not know since we are told 100 times every day, they are at greater risk of certain health problems. Thin people get sick too!
  #34   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:21

Stats: 240/175/120 Female 165
BF:
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYounginer
I just wanted to add this in. My mother grew up in the "twiggy" days... so even though she was probably 20 or 30 pounds overweight as a child, she was always considered to be fat. As she got older, and I came, she gained alot of weight. She stays around 270 now. About 7 years ago, she went to a weight loss center and lost it all. She was down to a beautiful size 12 and look fabulous. To celebrate, my dad went out and bought her a nice firebird sports car. After that, it was all differant. She was getting too much attention from men, some of it even scary at times. And about 6 months later I remember her saying that she didn't want to be thin. That she couldn't handle the attention that she was getting... but she was going to stick to her diet and stay healthy. Well, here it is 2004 and she's back up to 270... and happy, but as we all know not healthy.

I identify with your mother. Sometimes the pressures of being thin are alot to handle

Until I was 18 I was underweight and attention at every corner. By the time I was 20 I was very very very overweight.

I certainly am not saying I didnt eat my way to being 100+lbs overweight because eat - i did.

But i think there was a reason. If I told you a previous daily diet - you would all shudder with horror

I was like a bulimic without getting sick.

Madness gone completely insane.

However thanks to LC Heaven - I am on track and well able to handle the attention.

Now Men - Watch out!

xxx
  #35   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 09:37

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I had lost weight before and got a lot of attention from men then. I even had one stop his car in the middle of the road and ask if I was married! Anyway I'm 20 years older now even though I don't have many wrinkles or gray hair. But I don't expect the same things to happen this time. I just am looking forward to being able to do things without being out of breath. I even want to be where I can break out and run when I get the urge. I get the urge to run at times now but at this weight I would pay too dearly for it. I think my body needs to get used to me being smaller. I find that sometimes I am a bit clumbsy. But I am already having so much more energy I will probably be giddy when I get to my goal weight! I will probably swing my hips a bit more for DH. hehe
  #36   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 12:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryc
I will probably swing my hips a bit more for DH. hehe

Now theres a great plan!!!!!

Strutt your stuff!

xxx
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 14:12
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile When it's gone

I plan on enjoying every second, of being able to sit in an airplane seat with my seat belt not being altered with another belt, cause the regular one doesn't fit.

I'm going to hike and not huff and puff all the way up.

I'm going to run after my children in the park and not tire.

I'm going to ride a bike again without having half my ass hang off both sides of the seat.

I'm going to WEAR A THONG!

I'm going to re -do my wedding pictures the way I always dreamed it should have been.

I'm going to wear a bathing suit and go swimming in the beach and no longer use the "I'm afraid of sharkes" excuse.

I'm going to buy clothes at any store and they WILL FIT!

I'm going to share clothes with my sister.

I'm going to enjoy being thin the second time around. I never really enjoyed it when I was a size 6 due to low self-esteem. Even then I thought I was fat!

I'm going to roller-blade without my feet hurting cause of the pressure of my weight on those wheels.

I'm going to learn to Ice Skate. (always wanted to do this)

I'm going to help otheres struggling over weight loss and share with them my experiences, thoughts and advice them and be a listening ear for them.

I'm going to ride roller coasters without feeling my blood pressure go up and this time I will fit in that damn ride.

I'm going to eat without feeling guilty. (the correct way)

I'm going to wear short sleeved shirts and even strapless one's.

I'm going to wear a mini skirt and hip huggers.

I'm going to get a tattoo.

I'm never letting myself get fat again.

I'm going to be in every single picture taken with my family from now on.

I'm going to walk into places with my head up high.

I'm not going to sit in hidden corners anymore at restaurants.

I'm going to shower with my husband without being ashamed of my body.

I want my DH to be able to pick me up and carry me through the threshold when we renew our vows.

I'm going to remember all these reasons I want to be slim and healthy and use them as inspiration.

And most importantly, I'm going to Thank GOD everyday for the rest of my life for giving me the strentgh and will power to reach goal.

Lily
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 15:45
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

This thread is extreamly interesting as a number of people have discussed this with me over the years. Is my weight a fat blanket to hid beneath? NO! -

I have never been even near slim but my weight gain similar to thousands of others was mainly due to a combination of things PCOS, hypothyroid, birth control pills, child bearing - - and in later years pain - deep all over the body pain (Celiac) that restricted activity that of course produced more weight gain.

When single I did not have a problem dating - I have never been discriminated against in employment - but the airplane seats were shrinking and 3x (& climbing) clothing was ticking me off, my pain was increasing - I was becoming depressed about all these things including my weight gain. I lived the majority of my life at 235 lbs. (after I was 22 - about 180 before that). It was seeing the scales tip at 266 that scared the hell out of me and I started Atkins.

But if I ever get slim (what ever that is) will I be the same person? I don't know having never been slim. I hope like another said I hope to be:

'Pretty much the same person I have always been, except that I hope I will be me for a significantly longer number of years.....' and - who is able to do more physical things and enjoy doing them.

Being slim and pain free was only a dream - a fantasy - before I started Akins - now it is a realistic goal - although I must admit a long term one!
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFwife
I plan on enjoying every second, of being able to sit in an airplane seat with my seat belt not being altered with another belt, cause the regular one doesn't fit.

I'm going to hike and not huff and puff all the way up.

I'm going to run after my children in the park and not tire.

I'm going to ride a bike again without having half my ass hang off both sides of the seat.

I'm going to WEAR A THONG!

I'm going to re -do my wedding pictures the way I always dreamed it should have been.

I'm going to wear a bathing suit and go swimming in the beach and no longer use the "I'm afraid of sharkes" excuse.

I'm going to buy clothes at any store and they WILL FIT!

I'm going to share clothes with my sister.

I'm going to enjoy being thin the second time around. I never really enjoyed it when I was a size 6 due to low self-esteem. Even then I thought I was fat!

I'm going to roller-blade without my feet hurting cause of the pressure of my weight on those wheels.

I'm going to learn to Ice Skate. (always wanted to do this)

I'm going to help otheres struggling over weight loss and share with them my experiences, thoughts and advice them and be a listening ear for them.

I'm going to ride roller coasters without feeling my blood pressure go up and this time I will fit in that damn ride.

I'm going to eat without feeling guilty. (the correct way)

I'm going to wear short sleeved shirts and even strapless one's.

I'm going to wear a mini skirt and hip huggers.

I'm going to get a tattoo.

I'm never letting myself get fat again.

I'm going to be in every single picture taken with my family from now on.

I'm going to walk into places with my head up high.

I'm not going to sit in hidden corners anymore at restaurants.

I'm going to shower with my husband without being ashamed of my body.

I want my DH to be able to pick me up and carry me through the threshold when we renew our vows.

I'm going to remember all these reasons I want to be slim and healthy and use them as inspiration.

And most importantly, I'm going to Thank GOD everyday for the rest of my life for giving me the strentgh and will power to reach goal.

Lily

Whahahahahaha!

You have it all sorted!

Well Done! what a fantastic list!

I want my DH to be able to pick me up and carry me through the threshold when we renew our vows. - Thats my favourite one!

Well Done!

xxx
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:46

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

I've been giving some thought to this thread, which is why it took me so long to respond. I truly feel like I have a medical condition that was keeping me fat and it was finally diagnosed. For many years, I've pondered the "why me" question, when I could tell that I really wasn't eating more than other people. I tried to diet off and on and finally gave up years ago and just didn't worry about it.

I can remember discussing my daughter's weight with my mother and friends when she was 4 or 5 years old, saying to them that she is eating the same amounts of food as other kids. And she really was! At 3 years old she was bigger than the other kids, but didn't really eat more. Heck, I can remember telling her to eat the same things as this thin friend of hers and she'd get thin! She, of course, has my metabolism. Now we know that she was just eating the wrong foods.

I finally feel that I am going to be where I "ought" to have been when I was 10 or 12 years old! And it's just too bad I wasn't diagnosed way back then!

As far as how it will change me, I'm hoping I can let go of the blame. I've always felt I must be weaker than other people, that I must not have self control. Well, no more! It's truly NOT MY FAULT! And now, I will have to go through some of those feelings I should have gone through in puberty; being pretty and having guys look at you, wearing cool clothes for the first time, getting dolled up for a night out on the town. You know what I mean?

I think we are finally growing up and I look forward to it, even though it might be a bit scary!
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 16:55

BF:

Totally agree

2004 will be our year to go wild! on the beach bikini clad!

oh yes - 2004 i welcome you!

xxx
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 17:45
Registered Member

Plan: modified Atkins/South Beach
Stats: 235/135/130 Female 63 inches
BF:27
Progress: 95%

Well I thought I'd thrown my two cents in from another angle. As of this week, I am down 95 lbs and only 10 more to goal!

I can;t begin to tell you how much better I feel and how much my self esteem has improved, although I still have a problem seeing myself as a normal weight person.

When I started this journey, I was wearing a ladies size 22 and on a 5'3 inch frame that is pretty darn big. I knew I was overweight, but I was in denial as to the extent of it. Now that I am down to 140 and a size 8 I am still having a problem seeing myself as other see me. SOmetimes when I look in the mirror all I see is the imperfections.

As for things I have been able to accomplish so far:
1) I am going downhill skiing tomorrow for the first time in more than a decade!
2) I was able to hike for hours on end this summer
3) I was able to wear a two piece (tankini) swim suit this summer and fall without feeling terribly self conscious
4) I sat in a center airplane seat and flew across country without feeling like I was encrouching on my neighbor's space
5) Men stare at me now, but now I know it's not because I'm fat
6) I exercise 5 days per week with at least an hour of cardio each time - if someone would have told me I would be doing this I would have told them they're crazy!

The list could go on and on! Too many improvements to list!

Blessings to all on yor continued journey to a healthier you!
Barb
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Dec-19-03, 18:36
Contributing Member

Plan: Atkins Like
Stats: 266.5/231/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:50.06%/42.96%/25%
Progress: 33%

Yes Dianne I know how you feel - I too knew that I was not over eating - yet the weight kept coming - I avoided eating out because I thought people would think look at her she should be eating only salad! If we bought ice cream I would refuse to go in and would insist on take out.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Dec-20-03, 03:18
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks ItaliaGirl,

I too welcome 2004, this will be the year I go to the Beach after nearly 11 years of not going.

Give me your best shot 2004, I'm waiting for ya.

Lily

WE CAN DO IT!
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Dec-21-03, 06:23

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

ohhh the beach! I wish my bod was going to be 100 pounds less by summer! lolol though I guess I might be able to pull another 30 by then and that would be 80 down from last year...not too shabby really... sure as heck wont be bikini and running around yet but maybe if I find a tight black 1 piece it will quish my icky stomach down more...lol will that FLAP thing ever go away? its so gross and makes me depressed....

I AM ready to be unveiled but I agree with Liz about every once in a while maintaining..I actually think taking breaks here and there is good because it has taught me HOW to maintain so once I get there I KNOW I can do it.