Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 195/182/165 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 43%
Question Q abt La Tortilla factory tortillas consumption

I just picked up these in the local Krogers and just love these low carb tortillas(11g carbs- 8 gms of dietery fiber = 3 gms ECC).
My Q is, can i consume 4 of these every day(ECC = 12gms) or shud i restrict it to maybe once in 2 days ?? i do plan to have salads too, but wud prefer the tortillas with fried chkn i make.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Stats: 212/175/159 Male 66 inches
BF:33/23/14
Progress: 70%

Hi Rahul,
If you are cutting down on vegetables to make room for the tortillas, it is probably not such a good idea. If you are in the higher carb phase of your WOE it may be OK. I eat the tortillas, Nature's Own low carb bread and several other items as fiber boosters, but I have increased my carb intake to >40 per day.
Johnie
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 18:29
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

To start only have one serving every few days to see how you react. They can stall some people as they are a grain and that is one of the later things you add back in. Carb count isn't the only thing to think about, you have to consider how fast different carbs are absorbed by your system, or thier glycemic index.

Having multiple servings of anything besides veggies a day probably isn't learning good eating habits. Most find when they just try to replace thier old high carb habits with ones that say LC, the weight loss stops or slows to a crawl.

They are a great source of fiber. If you find you can tolerate them, then having them occasionaly shouldn't be a problem at all. 4 a day may be a bit excessive though.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 19:22
Registered Member

Stats: 195/182/165 Male 170cm
BF:
Progress: 43%

Thnx a lot for ur insight John and LadyBelle, i will have it only once in a few days then Will continue eating salads
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214.5/195.5/160 Female 5'-5 1/2
BF:size 18/14-16/10
Progress: 35%

I have been eating the LC tortillas since I started Atkins (Jan 03). I eat 2-4 per week. I dont think the tortillas have affected my weight loss. I love them! We make tacos, chimichangas, you can even fry the tortillas and make chips for nachos. As much as I love mexican food, I could not live without my LC tortillas.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 01:01
Registered Member

Stats: 232/232/190 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

I can't live without my lo-carb tortillas. I usually have one or two everyday to aid in the fiber count (I still have veggies and salad but trying to get 25g of fiber a day is tough!). I usually just fry them in a pan with some butter until they get a little browner. I'll also but some cooked meat in a tortilla and pin it into a taco with toothpicks and then deep fry it so it gets nice and crispy. I actually had that for dinner tonight!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 06:43

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

Boy life was SOOO good with those things! I was eating 1 sometimes 2 per day and I stopped losing weight altogether.... I have decided to cut them out until I am much closer to my goal. they are tasty though arent they?!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 08:27
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 214.5/195.5/160 Female 5'-5 1/2
BF:size 18/14-16/10
Progress: 35%

ooh, another great treat is to brown the tortillas in a little oil till crisp, then sprinkle w/ cinnamon & splenda - it's yummy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-03, 08:39
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I went through a phase where I had one and sometimes 2 a day. I found that they were just way too addictive for me. I wanted to eat all my foods with the tortillas and that didnt work tpo well for me. I love them and I have gone a couple of weeks totally without.

If I introduce them again I will limit myself to 1-2 a week and then when one package is finished go for a week or 2 without. That way I think I will have more control over it.

They do taste soooo good!!!