Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 13:27
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%
Default "Is the Atkins Brand Toast?"

Is the Atkins Brand Toast?

Why the Atkins diet is getting plumped up with product.

From: Inc. Magazine, December 2003 | Page 25 By: Michelle Leder

link to article

When Dr. Robert Atkins died in April at the age of 72 after slipping on an icy sidewalk outside of his Manhattan medical practice, carb-avoiding dieters across the country were left without their chief patron--as were the employees of Atkins Nutritionals, the business that Dr. Atkins launched nearly 15 years ago to sell a line of vitamins. Ironically, however, the company, which markets Atkins-brand packaged foods, has been on a tear in the months following the diet doc's sudden death. Under its new leadership, Atkins Nutritionals has introduced 70 new products this year--a pace unheard of in the food industry. Research firm NPD Group pegs Atkins's 2002 sales at well over $100 million and 2003 sales to be more than twice that.

While observers may be surprised by the furious clip with which Atkins has released new product lines, Atkins himself anticipated extending the brand before he died. In fact, he hired the executives who now run the business back in August 2000. But given that the push into new businesses has accelerated since Atkins's death, it is possible that the new team has more ambition for the name than the man who put them in place. Atkins Nutritionals president and COO Scott Kabak says the business's strategy is to place an ever-increasing number of products bearing the company logo--a red-and-blue "A"--in health food stores and then supermarkets nationwide. "We're being very aggressive in launching products and expect to continue to be for the foreseeable future," he says.

The growth comes despite considerable turmoil in the organization. In October, with the consent of Atkins's widow, Veronica, the company shut down the doctor's beloved medical practice. In so doing, Atkins Nutritionals pulled the rug out from under an heir apparent who may have had the vision for the business that most clearly matched that of Atkins himself. Of course, any company, after the death of its founder, faces the question of who should take charge. And this is complicated when the founder is closely identified with the brand. Wendy's paid homage to founder Dave Thomas in its ads after he died, while Frank Perdue's son replaced his father as the face of his company. Kentucky Fried Chicken simply turned Colonel Sanders into a cartoon. Now Atkins's successors must decide how far they will push his name, and how devoted they are to his vision. "The Atkins brand is powerful," says Scott M. Davis, of brand-strategy consulting firm Prophet, "and has elasticity that most other brands don't have."

"I didn't even know that he was still alive when I read that he had died."

Kabak puts it more succinctly: "This is not a diet but a lifestyle," he says. "There's no ceiling to this business."

Dr. Atkins first espoused his diet principles more than 30 years ago in his best-selling book, Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution . In the years since, his diet has become a cultural phenomenon, with clinicians debating its efficacy while restaurant menus routinely flag Atkins-friendly entrees. More than 60% of all Americans are either overweight or obese, and industry watchers estimate that the number of Americans on a low-carb diet is now as high as 30 million.

The executives who Atkins tapped to build out the products business came from publishing: Kabak and Paul D. Wolff, Atkins CEO, had worked together at Times-Mirror Magazines. When the pair, who are both 49, joined Atkins, the company essentially had two products--a line of protein-rich shakes, similar to Slim-Fast, and a line of protein bars, called Atkins Advantage. These two lines sold moderately well, but the business that the partners took over pales in comparison to what they have now: Atkins has introduced more than 100 products in the last three years.

But despite the company's rapid growth, the medical practice--called the Atkins Center for Complementary Medicine--was always Dr. Atkins's primary focus. Located in midtown Manhattan, it had 4,000 active patients in 2003. Devotees came from as far away as Uzbekistan, even though they were required to return for checkups at least every six months.

When Atkins died, a brash, 34-year-old doctor named Keith Berkowitz emerged as his successor at the clinic. Here's where the absence of the founder was most obviously felt. The products company had coexisted peacefully with the practice when Atkins was alive. But though the doctor had founded both businesses, the principals decided that the two entities should split up following his death. The plan was for Berkowitz to buy the practice for an undisclosed sum; as part of the deal, he would give up the Atkins name, which was important to the product marketers.

Then on October 2--just days before Berkowitz was set to ink the deal--Atkins Nutritionals announced in a press release that the center would cease operations 13 days later. Patients were informed that they would need to seek treatment elsewhere. The center's 25 employees were given notice. Berkowitz was stunned. In a statement, Veronica Atkins said, "It is sad for me to see the medical practice close, but I am gratified to see [my husband's] teachings being accepted and practiced by physicians in this country and around the world." (Through a company publicist, Veronica Atkins declined to speak to Inc. )

Richard Rothstein, the spokesperson for Atkins Nutritionals, says he thinks the deal broke down over money--an assertion with which Berkowitz disagrees. When asked if he believes Dr. Atkins would be disappointed that the practice closed, Berkowitz says "probably"--adding that his mentor would approve of his subsequent plans to open his own practice in New York, employing most of his former colleagues.

Kabak says that the clinic closed precisely because Dr. Atkins played a central role in it. In contrast, the products business can survive without him "because he was never very involved," Kabak says. "He wanted to produce products, but it's not what made him tick." And so the company continues to roll out everything from bagels to breakfast cereal, produced by various manufacturers and marketed under the Atkins label. The company has also struck licensing deals with the likes of New England dairy producer HP Hood, which is selling a line of milk called Carb Countdown with 75% to 90% fewer carbohydrates than regular milk. Mary Ellen Spencer, vice president of brand marketing for Hood, says she got on the Atkins bandwagon because "it's no secret that this thing is growing."

In fact, Atkins is likely to attract big-name competitors, as well as partners. Already, H.J. Heinz and Michelob are introducing low-carb products--and a growing number of niche players are making goods like sugar-free chocolate bars. On the plus side, retail demand is also rising. Wal-Mart Supercenters stock the Atkins-Hood milk, and a spokesperson for the health food chain GNC, which operates 4,500 stores in the U.S., says its larger stores now stock four shelves with low-carb products--up from one shelf last year.

Of course, as brand consultant Davis notes, "it is possible to follow a low-carb diet without eating Atkins-branded products." Given that consumers have options, Davis adds, the company will succeed only if Atkins products taste good. That may be tricky because, to strip carbs out of food, the company replaces key ingredients like wheat with soy and almond flour--a process that can muddy the taste. Indeed, in online chatrooms where Atkins followers swap recipes, taste comments pop up a lot. One person used the word blech to describe Atkins barbecue sauce; another complained that the pancake syrup was "no Mrs. Butterworth's."

High prices may also limit the brand's appeal--several chatroom posters said that the $4.99 price tag for four small single-serving ice-cream cups was a bit steep. "I suppose that if some people get desperate enough for a bagel or cereal, they may be willing to pay anything," says Hayes Roth, a vice president of the brand consulting firm Landor. "But there is a point where the price gets too high."

Despite these problems, however, the team extending the Atkins brand shows no signs of slowing down. Because the diet doc didn't really manage the products business, his loss is not acutely felt there. Sure, the patients he treated will miss him. But consumers will probably forget that Atkins was, in fact, a real person in time. For a brand, that's okay. "To be honest," says Roth, "I didn't even know that he was still alive when I read that he had died."
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 12:17

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

As far as I am concerned, Atkins has become part of "them". The big food corporations that pushes low-fat, high-carb, or anything else that will sells, so long as it sells. The good doctor is dead and so is his practice. I just hope his vision won't die as well, buried under a mass of processed junk food
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 14:19

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

It seems from the article above that Dr. Atkins was never really all that involved in Atkins Nutritionals to begin with and I remember seeing recently that the company was sold to another large conglomerate or that they merged at least.
I have to agree, though, that it seems on the surface as though they are giving in to corporate greed and profits as motives rather than the health of those that buy their products, although I have to admit that at least their ingredients (so far) are far healthier than most other companies producing low carb products are offering (ie, no transfats) and at least many of them are vitamin fortified making them a little better than just empty calories.
Having said all that, I still don't plan to live this way eating mostly processed frankenfoods when I can get a lot more for my buck by sticking with meats, veggies and other unprocessed offerings. While it's more convenient to buy a lot of pre-packaged, processed foods, it's also a lot more expensive and most of those products don't taste nearly as good as the meals that I can come up with using meats, veggies, cream, butter and seasonings.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 16:51
Registered Member

Plan: combo of different plans
Stats: 208/199/140 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress:

I disagree that the Atkins products are nothing more than junk food, and I believe the good doctor totally approved of all the products sold under his name.

If you just compare ingredients in these products to those in other, more familiar "high carb" products you will see they contain less sugar, more fiber and reduced carbs, a god-send alone for those who suffer from diabetes yet want more variety in their diet, or for those like me, who aren't as strict with carbs as Atkins followers, yet who want reduced carb products just the same.

Just compare low carb bagels to regular store-bought variety: a lot less carbs and a lot more fiber.

Compare Kraft Macaroni and cheese to Atkins elbows and cheese (which by the way has outstanding ingredients - just read the label)...less carbs and a ton more fiber. Because I am not that low carb, I use evaporated milk in the Atkins mac and cheese instead of the half and half they recommend, and get a ton of calcium to boot. I eat this with broccoli. I doubt if anyone could call that a junk food meal.

I believe there is a place for all the new low carb foods coming out, and if we support a low carb diet we should also support these choices, which give variety to those who can't live on just protein and veggies.

There is good and bad in everything. Thank God we all have the intelligence to read labels. I mean if I pick up a protein bar and read that it's made with hydrogenated fat and too much sugar alcohol, I just put it back on the shelf - low carb or not!!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 17:22

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Maybe Atkins macaroni and mac is slightly better than the higher carb one, but that still doesn't make it good food. High carb or low carb pasta is still only a filler with no real nutritional value. That powder stuff that calls itself cheese is nothing a cow would recognize. Apart from the broccoli, and maybe the milk, I don't see much of value in that meal. It's still highly processed and it's still mostly a filler food.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 17:57
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

As for the box of Atkins Elbows and Cheese that has "no nutrional value"...the box contains a whopping 64 g. quality protein from soy and wheat protein isolate, 12% vitamin A and 30% calcium. Let's not forget the 18 grams of fiber. There are absolutely no artificial ingredients in the cheese powder. It contains cheese, enzymes, whey, buttermilk solids, romano cheese. It has 30% calcium in it. Because I make it with evaporated milk, it contains even more calcium. No fake coloring even. The coloring comes from turmeric extract, which is an orange colored herb.

When I eat this it keeps me full for HOURS, which is amazing, since I have a hearty appetite.

I'll take this over Kraft Mac and cheese anytime.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 18:38

BF:

First I have to say that I admire anyone who can eat an entire box of Atkins mac & cheese and keep it down. I tried it once; took one bite and the rest went in the trash (along with that bite I had just taken)!
Obviously when you compare something like Atkins Mac & cheese mix to Kraft, the Kraft brand is going to come up far short but what happens when you compare it to an unprocessed (aside from cooking) meal of real meat and veggies?

Menu:
1 4 oz. boneless chicken breast
1.5 cups broccoli, steamed
1/3 cup cheese sauce made with 1/4 cup heavy cream and 2 oz. cheddar
2 cups shredded romaine salad with 2 tbsp. bleu cheese dressing

Nutritional Breakdown:
45.76% RDA calcium
133.34% RDA Vitamin A
111.16% RDA Vitamin E
387.46% RDA Vitamin C
17.17% RDA Vitamin D
1140.8% RDA Vitamin K
36.06% RDA Thiamin
74.75% RDA Riboflavin
109.66% RDA Vitamin B-6
39.89% RDA Vitamin B-12
167.04% RDA Niacin
76.40% RDA Folate
37.33% RDA Iron
34.35% RDA Zinc
92.94% RDA Selenium
110.46% RDA Phosphorus
40.50% RDA Magnesium
10 grams fiber
69 grams of protein

The above wouldn't take that much longer to prepare than that box of mac and cheese but gives you a much bigger nutritional bang for your buck, costs a lot less and probably tastes a whole lot better. No, the Atkins mac and cheese doesn't exactly qualify as junk food, but most people can do better nutritionally for a lot less money using unprocessed foods. Also, as far as "junk food" goes, I think the person who referred to those products as junk food had the low carb muffins, cookies, cakes and candies suddenly proliferating on the shelves in mind.

Last edited by Lisa N : Sun, Dec-14-03 at 18:42.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 18:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I eat half the box for lunch, the other for dinner.

I did not give a complete nutritional breakdown for the entire ingredients. The b vitamins you mention come from the chicken, which of course the pasta does not have, but I get many b vitamins in the soymeats I eat.

I did not calculate the broccoli, which is what many of the nutrients you listed come from.

I might mention that when I have my second half of the mac and cheese for dinner, I eat it with even more veggies, maybe carrots or cauliflower or brussels sprouts or a a mixture. This adds a scad more nutrients.

For dessert (because I not ultra-low carb), I may have some berries or a small apple or a small portion of another fruit. Throw in all the phytochemicals and nutrients from the fruit as well, and although I frankly don't have the time to add it up, I dare say the nutritional value would equal that of the dinner you mentioned.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:03

BF:

Quote:
I frankly don't have the time to add it up, I dare say the nutritional value would equal that of the dinner you mentioned.

More than likely, but your nutritional data would be for two meals and mine was for one which would fit easily into a daily meal plan with a max of 30 grams of carb per day.

Care to guess what would happen if I throw in a breakfast of flax and wheat bran cereal with 1/2 cup berries and 1/4 cup cream and a lunch of Spinach salad with tuna, chopped egg, tomatoes and parmesan cheese?

Something else I should mention is it's generally though that those with thyroid problems should avoid soy products.

I'm not arguing that some of the Atkins brand products aren't more nutritious than their high carb counterparts, only that they are expensive and the average person who doesn't have 6 bucks to spend on a box of macaroni and cheese can get as good (and probably better) nutrition skipping the high priced boxed mixes and going for the whole foods instead. 6 bucks for 69 grams of (IMHO) not so good tasting soy protein and some powdered cheese (PLUS you still have to add your own cream and butter) seems pretty outrageous to me; I could feed my whole family of 4 dinner for that and probably have leftovers for lunch the next day. I also have yet to find a soy pasta that didn't turn my stomach. Good thing I don't miss pasta!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 19:17
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Lisa, you might try the Eddie's brand Organic soy Rotellli, if you don't mind soy products (I don't). It's made from a combination of semolina wheat (like real spaghetti is) and soy. It tastes EXACTLY like regular pasta. However if you are on a very low carb diet, you probably wouldn't want this - 2 oz. uncooked contains 28 g. carbs, although it has 11 g. protein.

It's probably more suited for those on Sugarbusters or Insulin Resistance Diet, or Somersizing, etc. but it really is good and tastes just like the real thing. Maybe it would be ok for an occasional treat.

Just thought I'd mention it for anyone who is missing pasta and doesn't like the low carb versions!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 01:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/205/170 Female 5'6"
BF:I have Body Fat!??
Progress: 41%

Outside of the handful of LC products we buy (none of which are Atkins, BTW), my dollars will stick with whole, unprocessed foods as much as possible.

I can't stand the corporate mentality and what it does to businesses or their customers. Sure, none of us can avoid corporations completely, but it seems to me that the Atkins products are being sold mostly by name and nothing more, and from the looks of it cost about double what they should. Yes, I know all those special grains and such cost more money--I buy a few of them and do a little baking once in a while--but it doesn't cost 6 times the amount of its high-carb counterpart.