Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 08:38
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 315/181.5/175 Male 5 7
BF:
Progress: 95%
Default back on track, still feel fat

I was stalled for a while so I restricted my diet to eggs and bacon only. I had omlets for breakfast and dinner. and I'm back on track. I'm getting closer and closer to the 100lb club, almost 85% there! I still look in the mirror and I don't look any different to myself than when I started. I KNOW I am, I mean I've lost 10 pant sizes and am in need of a whole new wardrobe, but I'm still fat. to all the big loosers here when did you feel like you arrived? when did you feel good about what you saw in the mirror? when is it my turn?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 08:55
Medival Princess

Plan: curves
Stats: 298/214/190 Female 6 ft or 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%

its taken awhile for me to notice even though i have two or three comments a day (at least) from people I work with telling me how good I am doing and wanting to know what I am doing ect
I had to take two pictures and put them side by side to see there was a change at all for the longest time.. so you might try taking a picture and putting in next to a previous photo of you when you were at your high weight somtimes with it coming of a little at a time you don't see there really is a change
now almost 70lbs down I can kinda see it when I look at myself in the mirror, I am still overweight but not really fat anymore
you are doing really good don't get discouraged and keep up the great work
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 14:03
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

I agree with Crysania. Really look at a pair of pictures. I first realized that the loss was visible when I put last year's ID next to this year's.

Jude
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 14:50

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

Hey, anorexics will tell you they "feel fat"..I think all of are programmed to be so afraid of any body fat that it tends to mask the benefits that all that weight loss must be bringing you- Like others say, do comparisons...so hang up a pair of the old pants alongside some current ones, look at before and now photos etc.

A good way is to go away on a holiday and come back...people suddenly 'see' the change and will comment. This just happened to me.

Val
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 15:10
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts Diet
Stats: 180/148/130 Female 5ft 3.5in
BF:unknown
Progress: 64%

I feel the same way, though I know it's a wrong perspective. I mean there is a 26 pound difference between 180 and 154 but I think it takes everyone awhile to catch up wit themselves. Everyone so far has had excellent suggestions, don't think I could add anything beneficial, Judy
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 15:58
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I have the same problem. I have lost alot of weight and every once in a while I'll catch a look at my legs and think they are small. Most of the time though all I can see is my big stomach. That and when I look in the mirror I see me. And that me hasn't changed to much in years and years

Part of it is the change is so gradual. With my kid sI won't always notice they have grown. Someone who hasn't seen them in months will be amazed at the change.

If all you were eating was bacon and eggs, then the fat feeling could be osme bloating. All that sodium for water retention, and no veggies for fiber. I would gian weight ona diet like that, though it would be mostly bloat.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 10:08

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast

you're doing great! I am still quite "fat" too but I take a lot of pictures of my face because a full body shot--even side by side, even though I've lost 4-5 sizes it just doesnt look so impressive yet... to me anyhow..I do get compliments as I am sure I take up less room in general. Anyway, I can take a picture of my face myself and I do it monthly and my face is really thinning down a LOT. Dont worry you have to know that eventually you'll be looking and feeling more like you expect you should.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 10:08

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast

PS... I cannot stress enough how important it is for you to add some veggies to your diet!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-14-03, 18:23

Plan: atkins
Stats: 231/191/150 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 49%

I also was not noticing the weight loss until my relatives saw me at Thanksgiving. They could not stop talking about how good I looked. Now they are emailing me for LC advice, lol. I also invested in some new clothes and they definitely helped my self image. You have lost a tremendous amount of weight. Be kind to yourself and give yourself a big pat on the back. You have earned it.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 09:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

I agree with Wenzday -- add some ruffage!

I lost about 85 lbs back when i was in high school... and even at my sveltest, I felt fat. Feeling fat isn't ever just for anorexics... Sometimes we look in the mirror and just see ourselves differently than we did the day before. Or we get poofy from eating too much salt one day. Or we work out really hard and make our muscles cause a bit of swelling that can make us feel not so great... It's ok to acknowledge to feel fat one day or whatever... but what's ultimately the most important is to look at your long-term progress! You have lost A LOT of weight and that is a huge accomplishment. Don't beat yourself up about how you feel one day b/c the next, you might feel 50x better.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 11:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

I know what you mean. I still feel as fat as I ever was, even though when I look at my old clothes I don't recognize how I could possibly have fit in to them.

There is this dissonance between mental body image, and the way we actual way we look. Even though we can look at our old clothes and see how much smaller we are now, we still feel just as fat as before. It has a lot to do with self esteem, I think. It's kind of how an anorexic can logically look at their clothes and measurements and see they are very small, but actually have a self image that is very fat.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 12:09
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

They say think back to when you had an ideal weight.. Well I did, but to be realistic, I will never weigh what I did at 20 before having 4 kids.lol.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 13:32
Registered Member

Stats: // Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 54%

One more thing. It might be a good idea to think about seeing a counselor or therapist in order to develop more appreciation of WHO you are. It's so easy to feel bad about your whole self because you are obese, but once you achieve your goal weight you might continue to value yourself only based on how you look. You very well may look fabulous, and continue to do so, but then age inevitably sets in, body shapes can change with menopause or lifestyle/exercise changes, etc. I guess what I'm saying is that it's always healthier to value who you are. Imagine what they'll say at your funeral-you were kind, you were loving...Can you imagine someone actually saying, "She was always so THIN"!?
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 13:39
Splenda Flavored

Stats: 275/247/190 Male 5' 11 1/2
BF:more than I need
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddi
I was stalled for a while so I restricted my diet to eggs and bacon only. I had omlets for breakfast and dinner. and I'm back on track. I'm getting closer and closer to the 100lb club, almost 85% there! I still look in the mirror and I don't look any different to myself than when I started. I KNOW I am, I mean I've lost 10 pant sizes and am in need of a whole new wardrobe, but I'm still fat. to all the big loosers here when did you feel like you arrived? when did you feel good about what you saw in the mirror? when is it my turn?

Jesus bro, CONGRATS ON ALL THE LOST WEIGHT! When Is MY turn...I just joined the 25lbs club today. It seems like its going way slow but i have time and everyone notices I've lost and I'm happy for just that! As for clothes, Im feelin ya bro, my shirts look funny now when I wear jackets over them, all wrinkled up. and as far as my pants, the baggy look is still in ere in San Diego so I'm sagging unless I'm going out with the mrs. Great job and keep up the good work!, Manny
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 15:14
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
They say think back to when you had an ideal weight.. Well I did, but to be realistic, I will never weigh what I did at 20 before having 4 kids.lol.

In high school I was in the mid 140's at my lowest. Doing LF after my first kid I got down to 138.

Now after 2 kids, 2 c-sections, and 6 months on Atkins I am thinner now then I was at 20 or in high school

So when will I feel skinny? ;p think if I ever save up enough for the boob job that will help. When you can't see your tummy below your breasts, that may help to feel skinny