Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-04-03, 19:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/160/145
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default LC & Long-term Fibro control

On another thread someone asked if anyone had been using LC to control fibro long-term. I have been using it for over 5 years. Of course it isn't the only thing I do. I also exercise daily, take cyclobenzaprene at night to help me sleep, and take vitamins. The important ones seem to be: a multiple, green tea, malic acid, calcium/magnesium/zinc, MSM, extra B vitamins, and creatine. I also, if the control seems to be slipping I take a round of antifungals for Candida. With this routine I have gone from not being able to work to being back full time in public school system as a gifted facilitator; from not being able to walk out to get the mail to being able to do Bike Across Kansas (500 miles in a week) and centuries (100 miles in a day). One note on exercise though is that I built up VERY slowly. I started out with easy spinning on the inside cycle. I planned on doing 5 minutes, but could only do about 2. So I countinued to do my 2 minutes a day until finally I could push it to 3, then a week later 4 minutes a day, etc. It wasn't until I got up over 12 minutes a day that I really started seeing results -- but I think if I had pushed it any faster I would have injured myself more than helped. People with fibro do not repair their muscles as well as others, so you have to take it slowly. Still if I want to increase my exercise (like in the spring when the weather gets nice) I have to take it slower than my "normal" friends. I can build up to just about any level of fitness I want, I just have to go slowly. Good luck to all of you just beginning on the journey of rediscovering your health. It can be done!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-16-03, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/217/175 Female 5 feet 10 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Thank you for sharing.

I am young and it is nice to here there is hope.

I started atkins on September 30th and have been feeling a lot better.

I just started to exercise over the last couple weeks. 5 minutes on the treadmill doesn't seem much to a lot of people but to me it seemed like a lot. I just keep upping as I go. I bought some walk away the pounds exercise tapes and have been trying them. They are great. With the cold coming I don't like to be outside that much to walk.

Thanks again for sharing your story..I finished my early childhood diploma in June very part time placement. Never thought I would finish with my health. I did my last two placements within the public school system in a class with children with learning disabilities. I would love to actually do that full or part time in the future.

I am going to look at a few more of the vitamins you mentioned.

Thanks,
Kathy
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 21:38

Plan: Zone
Stats: 134/124/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hello,
Has anyone mentioned to you that balancing your hormones can have a big effect on Fibro. Natural progesterone is wonderful for a lot of things but for fibro it is what repairs the mylin sheath around the nerves and can really help with pain. It also can help speed up weight loss. It balances your estrogen and excess estrogen can cause you to retain weight as well as causing PMS, menopause problems, fatigue, sleep problems, fibroids and so much more. Let me know if you would like to know more about Natural Progesterone.

P.S. Also staying away from artificial sweeteners can really help!!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-13-03, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

Thank you, ksnancy, for sharing. It's just what I needed to hear right now. I've been working on simply walking on our treadmill, and decided that the route I have to take is exactly as you said... slowly. There's still this absurd little core in me that insists I should be able to do so much more now than I can - now. Of course, the few times I've tried that, the results are pretty predictable. I guess in my case it's a simple coming to terms with Fibro and the fact that I have it - and there are no easy answers (or running marathons without a whole lot of preparation long beforehand .
I'm going to pick up your suggested vitamins/minerals that I dont already have - and give it a go

Thank you - you've kind of soothed my mind, and also inspired me,

~Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 19:48

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 127/127/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacie R.
Hello,
Has anyone mentioned to you that balancing your hormones can have a big effect on Fibro. Natural progesterone is wonderful for a lot of things but for fibro it is what repairs the mylin sheath around the nerves and can really help with pain. It also can help speed up weight loss. It balances your estrogen and excess estrogen can cause you to retain weight as well as causing PMS, menopause problems, fatigue, sleep problems, fibroids and so much more. Let me know if you would like to know more about Natural Progesterone.

P.S. Also staying away from artificial sweeteners can really help!!

I would love to know about the natural progesterone, I have fibor and don't know what to take.
Jan
Canal Fulton, Ohio
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-08-04, 19:58

Plan: don't know yet
Stats: 127/127/110 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 0%

since I am new, I can't figure out how to check messages for the questions I have asked, can anyone tell me?
Jan
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 00:28
Grrl

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Talking

Hi, I just wanted to bump this because I too am curious about natural progesterone. I have all the symptoms of hormonal imbalance and have never properly addressed them. Anyone know about tests for hormone levels?

Wishing us all better health and peace of heart.

Last edited by Grrl : Wed, Sep-15-04 at 00:30. Reason: outdated siggy wiggy
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Sep-15-04, 12:45

Plan: original 72 Atkins
Stats: 201/177/142 Female 65 inches
BF:44/44/25
Progress: 41%
Default Natural Progesterone

I tried it and it didn't work for me. Don't think my problem is that kind of hormone.