Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:28

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

A couple more things:

1) You're diabetic which means that you are insulin resistant without a doubt. What types of medications (if any) are you taking for the diabetes? Insulin resistance doesn't go away over night and it can slow down weight loss even once you go low carb. Also, some diabetic medications stimulate insulin production whether you actually need it or not and this can also slow down weight loss. Blood sugars in the low 100's are good, but fastings should really be lower than that (low 80's to low 90's)

2) You're a 44 yo female which means that you are likely perimenopausal. That also can work against you in the battle to lose weight. It doesn't make it impossible, just likely slower than what you'd like.

3) If you're already eating so much that any more would make you feel uncomfortably full, then you may be eating too much. Dr. Atkins' instructions were to eat until you are satisfied (as in no longer hungry) but not stuffed. 6 chicken legs at a sitting is quite a bit. Are you eating that much because you're really that hungry or because you feel like you should? Ask yourself how much it would take for you to feel satisfied/no longer hungry at each meal and then reduce the amount of protein you're eating and add some veggies (at least 1 cup) at each meal from the allowed list for induction. If you can't stomach veggies from breakfast, then have 1 1/2 cups with each lunch and dinner.

Lots of good suggestions above. Make a few adjustments and see how you do over the next 2 or 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:54

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/194/150 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress:
Default NO weight loss - ? tips

(OK. I know I posted below)

BUT: I am trying to see WHY I am having SUCH a hard time
so I CAN loose weight.

1. I DO drink enough water, I could float away!
2. I am a stablized diabetic type II, who's dr. knows what I am doing.
I take oral drugs daily.
3. I exercise at least 3 x a week for 1 hr each time on the bike.
4. I am VERY food picky. Always have been.
5. I do eat green veggies BUT when I'm in the mood, otherwise
forget it. A salad would be FORCING it down. Really.
6. I do not have a big appitite or get the munchies or eat when
upset.

No gravy, sauce with meat. EVER. No breading or coatings.

I have had my thryoid tested - negative! But its in the family.

Therfore meal time is starting to be an annoyance and a bother.

Suggestions?? At a loss.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 16:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Lois. Most oral diabetes meds are stallers. The exception is Glucophage (metformin.) It helps improve insulin resistance. Perhaps you can talk to your doctor about that.

I think you might have missed Lisa N's post... I noticed you started a new thread.

I hope the suggestions you got answered your questions... there's really not much else we can add. You're already losing weight at a decent pace. Try to follow the plan to the letter - 3 cups of veggies and less processed meat - and talk to your doctor about your medications. Browse the "veggies and side dishes" forum for recipe ideas. I'm picky, too, but I've discovered veggies that I love.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kristine : Fri, Dec-12-03 at 16:17.