Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 193/161/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 55%
Exclamation Look at this scary news article!

Check this out! After reading this, I couldn't wait to post and see what good, positive feedback the forum could give to ease my mind.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/996187.asp
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:04
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

..."news conference sponsored by the Physician’s Committee for Responsible Medicine..."

That pretty much says it all. The PCRM is an affiliate of PETA. They only support an animal-free diet.

They should change part of their name to "Irresponsible" Medicine!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:09
Registered Member

Stats: 193/161/135 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 55%

OMG! I didn't even realize that it was a study sponsored by PCRM! I accidentally looked over that part. Wow, pretty amazing how such strong opinions that are seemingly backed by a doctor's word are deceptive!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

hi there,

Yep ... we posted this article in the Research/Media forum back when it first broke .. PCRM Group Says Atkins Diet Caused Teen's Death.

It's scare-mongering at its worst, and all their stories have been debunked .. they can't even produce studies to support their claims, only scare tactics. They just don't want people to eat animal products, not even eggs or milk.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 14:56

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

I started looking around vegan sites (very bored this afternoon) after reading these posts and came across some posts that said that animal bones and eggs were used in the production of wine - I almost barfed! Has anyone heard of this?

Vikki

PS: I'm glad I'm not a vegan, couldn't image eating that way!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:05
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:

LOL - I think the bone and egg wine is a bunch of hooey.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:06
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbrowne
I started looking around vegan sites (very bored this afternoon) after reading these posts and came across some posts that said that animal bones and eggs were used in the production of wine - I almost barfed! Has anyone heard of this?
hi Vicki

I've never heard of bones being used, but I know from my home-made wine making days that egg white is sometimes added to finished wine as a "fining" or clarifying agent. It attracts yeast particles that have died at the end of fermentation, and because it's heavier weight than alcohol, the egg white with the yeast cells eventually settle on the bottom, leaving nice clear wine on top. Most modern home-made wine kits use a chemical called "isinglass" to clarify wine.

Possibly egg shells or bone meal would have the same effect? I'm not sure - they're both high in calcium. I've heard that in the days before percolators and filter drip pots .. people would add a crushed egg shell to coffee in order to help the grounds settle on the bottom so that it would be clear to pour into your cup.

~~~~

Some militant vegans are even against eating HONEY because it's an insect product.

Doreen
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:08
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Actually, I caught a news program that said some European countries add bovine blood to their wine. I'm glad I only purchase American made wine.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:10
empress of fashion

BF:

That's why I stick to the finer, American wines like Boone's Farm.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:10

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
I've heard that in the days before percolators and filter drip pots .. people would add a crushed egg shell to coffee in order to help the grounds settle on the bottom so that it would be clear to pour into your cup.

My grandmother used to make coffee like this. The egg and eggshells were mixed with the coffee grounds before to coffee was boiled in a glass pot on the stove..the egg helped the coffee grounds stick together and stay at the bottom of the pot. It worked, but only partly. She still poured her coffee through cheesecloth in a small strainer to keep the rest of the grounds out of her cup.

As for the animal bones and egg shells. What would you say if I told you that I used cow manure in the production of my vegetables? Yup...it's fertilizer!
That may be what they were referring to as well. Bone meal and eggshell is sometimes used for fertilizer or as a soil enrichment.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:11
Forum Founder

BF:

OK, I just checked one of my old wine making books ... it suggests that unflavoured gelatin powder mayalso be used as a clarifying or fining agent. Gelatin is made from bones. Perhaps this is their extrapolation ... of course, saying that it contains bones sounds more disgusting and scarier than gelatin.

Doreen
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

Wow, we learn something new everyday. Not using honey, militant is right!

Vikki
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:19
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

There are some parents threatening to Sue PETA in Seattle. Apperently on a large bullitin board on a major streat they put up a poster that all the milk kids leave out for santa on christmas eve has made him impotent. It apperently s hows a shrivled up santa looking down into his pants with a depressed expression.

Yeah, that's the group I'm going to listen to for health concerns. I'm not against vegatarianism. With the right amount of protien incorperated it can be an enjoyable life style. With this group though they limit foods to such a degree it seems all they can have is water. Not tap of course, you know all the evil things in there.

It just seems we should treat these people to a nice meal and maybe if they weren't so hungry thier moods would improve
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:23
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

What troubles me is the 53 year old man who developed clogged arteries after 2 years of atkins. He said he had a heart scan before starting atkins and everything was clear, but then 2 years later of all the fat he had heart disease.

It doesn't seem to make sense (since virtually every other atkins dieter appears to be in good health, and aboriginal hunter/gatherer human cultures eat tons of fat and have never heard of heart disease). Maybe he wasn't following the diet correctly and eating too many sugars? Who knows...
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 15:27
empress of fashion

BF:

I think there are other factors to consider, Woo - like heredity.

Ladybelle - that poster is a hoot! Not sure what the target audience is - kids won't know what impotence is, after all. Is rather suspect, what with Santa and the Mrs. never having any kids.......