Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 12:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 137/127/118 Female 5'
BF:
Progress: 53%
Question carbwise bars

I'm curious to know if anyone has had carbwise bars and if so while on induction. I started Atkins 10 days ago and have lost about 8 pounds. I finally just got into ketosis today. Anyway, I found Carbwise bars at CVS - they have 2 net carbs. I'm not sure if eating them is slowing down the process because I know that technically "bars" are not on the induction list. I'd like to lose about 10 more pounds and then maintain my weight so I'm not sure how strict on this I have to be. Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

thank you!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 13:22
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

I liked the Atkins bars but yes they caused me to stall....Eveyones diff tho..
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 15:46
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

I ate them at first. After doing a clean induciton I found the taste of any of those bars to be nasty.

The actual carb count is much higher. They subtract glycerine and sugar alcohols. For some people thier body only reacts like there is 2 carbs there, others react to the full amount.

A few people say they eat LC bars often and have no problem. The majority I see on here though say they get stalled if they eat them for more then an occasional treat.

I still kepe some around. I like the Atkins Morning Start bars, they are also the lowest in calories. I save them for itmes we are shopping at the mall, or other situations where I know good choices may not be available (long plane or car rides) I also used to carry on for times when everyone else was having chocolate cake and I would feel deprived. I found after doing this WOE for a while though without franken foods, that I never feel deprived.

I tried 1 bite of a free sample chocolate cheesecake torte at the store one day. It was curiosity more then a craving (that gets me into trouble more then anything in life ) I found that it was over poweringly nastily sweet with a gross after taste. Now when I'm tempted by anything I remind myself I can make it at home, and unlike the LC versions of it on the market, I can make mine free of sugar alcohols, preservatives, and chemicals
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I have tried the S'mores Carb Wise Bars. To me they taste better than the Atkins S'mores bars. I usually have a low carb bar once a week. We have 2 services in the morning at our Church and I run a computer to put the words to the songs on the screen for both services. THey usually provide doughnuts for everyone so I bring My low carb bar and have it instead.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 18:34
Registered Member

Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

I have been on induction and I have the bars about 4 times a week. (Atkins Morning Start) However, I count the full amount of carbs (14 grams in these) instead of counting the net carbs. I am a student and constantly on the go so these bars make a great breakfast for me. In two weeks I have lost 7 lbs.!! So I think it depends on the person. I suggest counting the full amount of carbs in the bar though just to be safe. If I eventually stall, I will probably cut the bars out of my routine, but as long as Im losing weight, Im doing it right!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 18:37
Fit and Happy

Stats: 273/145/160 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:49%/24%/24%
Progress: 113%

I like the Carbwise Bars, but they tend to slow my weight loss down some.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:33
Registered Member

Stats: 200/176/176 Male 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmayeux79
I have been on induction and I have the bars about 4 times a week. (Atkins Morning Start) However, I count the full amount of carbs (14 grams in these) instead of counting the net carbs. I am a student and constantly on the go so these bars make a great breakfast for me.

It makes sense to count more than the net carbs, but do you know that sugar alcohol and glycerine are not the only problem? Low carb breads seem to have more carbs than their net carb amounts too. They usually contain no sugar alcohol and their fibers could not be resposible.

Our bodies can convert upto 60% of our protein intake into carbs. My body seems to limit this process to vegetable proteins. So, if a slice of bread contains 3 carbs and 7 grams of protein, it affects me as if it contains 7 carbs.

Sometime ago I made a simple and easy to remember formula to calculate the actual carbs as they affect my ketosis state. Here it is:

Effective carbs = Net carbs + 1/2(Sugar alcohol + Glycerine + Veg. Protein)

As you know, our bodies are different so this formula is not guaranteed to work for other people.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:55

Stats: 250/205/180 Female 69 in
BF:
Progress: 64%

The PB Carbwise bars are fabulous... what I've just discovered are the Carb Solutions bars... they're a lot like Atkins bars, but have a bunch of fun flavors...
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 06:37

Plan: Lyle Style FD
Stats: 143/124.5/123 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:24.8%
Progress: 93%

I always get confused when people use the term "bars." Are they referring to the various low carb candy bars that are available (with a minimal amount of protein in them and usually sugar alcohols for sweetening) or to the meal-replacement bars, which have somewhere around 20 grams of protein per bar and are not as sweet? An example of the candy bar type would be an Atkins Endulge bar, and the meal-replacement would be the Atkins Advantage.

It makes a difference, I believe. While I feel it is okay to eat the meal-replacement bars if not on induction, the candy bars are just a substitution for what made most of us overweight to begin with. If this WOE is supposed to retrain our eating habits, then we should be eliminating the candy from our life, except for very occasional treats.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Joan
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:06

BF:

Funny you should bring that up, Joan... bc I thought of the same exact thing yesterday. Maybe this board needs yet another *sigh* acronym. Like MRB for Meal-Replacement Bars....
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:26

Stats: 179/166/130 Female 5'3"
BF:unknown
Progress: 27%
Default low carb bars

I use the Carb solutions bars. Some are 2, some are 3 net carbs. I started the lc way June 2003 and have lost 35 lbs. The last couple of weeks due to the holidays have been rough. I know it will be like this until after new years. I'm just trying to remain as is. My question: is there a recipe that you can make bars or something similar? They get really expensive and we use quite a lot. My email is sterling801~yahoo.com
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 13:36

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

I like the Carb Solutions Chocolate mint. Chocolate mint gets to me every time
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:22

BF:

I just tried the mint chocolate chip Carb Solutions bar last nite!!! All I gots to say is MMMMM!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 14:28

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 294/260/185 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

It's probably different for everyone, I love them, they are much more filling that the Atkins bars and not as sweet. I had one for breakfast every day for a week and lost 4 lbs. Will restock next time I'm at Wal Mart.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 16:30

Plan: Primal
Stats: 132/125/120 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 58%

You know, I just read an article in the Arizona Republic newspaper about how "low carb" processed foods are sabotaging LC dieters, and the results are becoming less dramatic when it comes to weight loss. Just something interesting that sort of pertains... Hmm...