Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 07:59
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Who to Belive

My tantia scale has been registering at around 29% without as much jumping as it was doing before.

My bodycome.com which uses about 15 measurements puts me at about 23% body fat.

The Protien Power book and Zoneperfect web site say I am around 20% BF.

So which should I belive you think? Alot of people are probably saying it doesn't matter it's just a number, but it does matter when trying to figure out a goal weight. By one standard where I'm at now is good, another says I should be between 125-129 and the third states I should be around 113-120. Those are quite different weights. Looking in the mirror to tell doesn't help as I have the pooch, loose skin, and just a plain skewed body image :P
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 08:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/135/128 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Lady,
I had an appointment at Curves last Monday and she made me grip on a machine that measures your body fat. (Horror! 30% according to that machine). She said the machine sends some electric current through your arms and determines the body fat. I believe the Tanita scale asks you to be barefoot to determine the body fat and to place your feet at a certain place (I bought mine but it was not working right so I exchanged it and the new one is still in the box). So maybe the scale uses the same system. This is just a guess, no scientific knowledge here. I believe the books use a porcentage system based on height and weight. They could not use any other system since they don't have you in front of them to determine that!
If you go to a health club you may want to ask them to measure you. Most health clubs have the machine.
Let me know if you find the correct answer to this question.
Congratulations on reaching your goal!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 08:44
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

The hand held machine is the same as the scale. It is directly related to how hydrated you are, when you last ate and other factors. The idea is good, but I don't think it would be any more sound then the scale. (the scale can usually range from 22-30% depending on it's mood)

I have thought about calipers, but those can be off depending on who is doing it. Too bad I can't afford one of those water tests no clue wher eI'd even go to get one
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Dec-10-03, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. Just lose until you are comfortable with yourself and how you look and feel.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-11-03, 09:58
& Dillion Doggie Do!

Plan: Atkins, Maintenance
Stats: 221/172/147 Female 5'6"
BF:Sizes over scale!
Progress: 66%

If you wanted to be acturate, I would assume then you should go with the measuring. This takes you whole body into account. The problem is everyone is shaped differently, and one size does not fit all. Plus the other factor wont matter as much. Unless you measure you gut around that time of month.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-03, 11:33

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

The current issue of Consumer Reports magazine has an article on these types of scales that measure not only weight but also body fat. It talks a little about the various ways to measure body fat. I think the key is to stick with one method and gauge from there.

Better yet, listen to your body. All these measurements are only guidelines, after all. Just because a book/the scale/etc. says you should be 135 pounds doesn't mean your body will feel good at that weight or you will be able to maintain that weight. Do what feels right for you.