Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 14:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/162.5/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Cholesterol way high!!!!

OK, one week after starting Atkins my Dr. ordered blood work. Had my appointment today and my cholesterol went from 163 in February to 244 today. My LDL was 170. I'm sure it's because I've been eating eggs for breakfast everyday. So, what do you eat for breakfast??? My Dr wants me to go off Atkins and is giving me three months to get my numbers down. If the numbers are still up at that time I'll have to go on medication. I have never had high cholesterol...ever. Has anyone else's cholesterol been elevated soon after starting Atkins???

TIA,
Melissa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:03

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm pretty sure that the DANDR books all say that cholesterol will tend to rise so that we should delay cholesterol testing until about 3 months into LCing.

However, if your cholesterol is up after only one week, I can say with certainty: it WASN'T from LCing.

I have been on LC for over 5 years & recent blood tests showed a GREAT ratio between Total Chol. & HDL = LESS than average risk. Plus my triglycerides are in the low range which is considered PROTECTIVE against heart disease.

The rise in cholesterol is more likely due to eating carbs plus fats, especially trans fats. This combination is found in the "typical North American diet" and most low fat and low cal plans.

If you know your exact numbers (or can get a copy from your doctor) you could post them and some of the medically qualified people here might comment.

You must do what you think best, but do investigate the posts in the Cholesterol forum here and also the Media Watch area. This subject has been discussed a lot and many studies posted there.

I'd bet that if you STUCK to your Atkins plan and did not eat anything that was off plan, your levels would be much better after 3 months.

Last edited by tofi : Fri, Oct-31-03 at 16:04.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Oct-31-03, 16:37

Stats: 180/179.8/130 Female 5'4.75"
BF:
Progress: 0%

This is also an interesting article about cholesterol that I read the other day, some good info

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=145737

Maybe need to get this checked?
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 11:33

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 181/176/150
BF:
Progress: 16%

I also tried Atkins with the same results. My triglycerides skyrocketed to 1600 and my cardiologist had a fit. This led me to research why I was having no luck with Atkins while it seemed every one else with Typ II diabetes had improved triglycerides.
In researching I have found "Syndrome X", which answered all my questions. I would highly recommend the following book; It is called "SYNDROME X-THE SILENT KILLER", by Dr. Gerald Reaven. Also SYNDROME X-The complete Nutritional Program to Prevent and Reverse Insulin Resistance by Challem, Berkson & Smith. The following link will give you enough info to determine if you are interested in pursuing this further.

http://www.shamanbotanicals.com/synxhome/learn.htm

I urge you not to delay in doing something about your high triglyceride levels. Three years ago my triglycerides were 3,200 and 6 months later I underwent 5 bypasses. This was after losing 43 pounds on a "under 10 gms of saturated fat/day" diet.

Sincerely, Billie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 06:39

Stats: 221/209/188 Male 6'-1"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I had my cholesterol checked in September before starting Atkins and it was 242.
LDL 172
HDL 51
TG 51

I went to the doctor last Friday after being on Atkins for 2 months. Total cholesterol 366
LDL 287
HDL 65
TG 70

After reading all of the articles posted at this forum I was convinced that blood cholesterol levels didn't matter. But I wasn't prepared for 366. I immediately went back and reread all the articles to make me feel better. I don't want to take Lipitor but I feel like I am gambling with my life. My wife is freaking out. It is all so confusing.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 07:30

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Dear Howe
I bet it may well go down in a month or so. Atkins does say it may well rise in the first few months.. Then it drops.

so I honestly think youve no need to worry yet

however, if in a few months time you are still worried.. look in the Atkins "old " edition (mine is 1992 ) Page 180 UK edition. ( you may have to search under "fat sensitivity" in the index....

"I admit that there are individuals who are fat sensitive and will develop a less favourable cholesterol level on a high fat diet than on a low fat diet. Intensive study of medical reports strongly suggest that fewer than 1 in 3 falls into this category"

Instructions follow on p 181 for how to test for this...involving supplements also listed on p 182 - 3.....

he suggests doing a lower fat Atkins = get retested, review results
Then back to higher fat Atkins and if the chol bounces back up you may have to do a lower fat version.

Before you go there however, do a search on Doreens posts, I asked a Q about my chol and the answer says try using the oils such as olive , avocado etc, its beneficial I'll see if I can find it...

back to edit here it it
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=40633

tons of super info in there
also http://www.second-opinions.co.uk/cvd_index.html

Last edited by plum : Tue, Dec-09-03 at 07:35.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 08:30

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Also hope to reassure you with this

http://atkins.com/Archive/2001/12/26-574774.html

Triglycerides are a much more reliable cardiac marker........ yours is 70 ? Normal range Trig 30 -200

Melissa : good luck to you too this info for you as well ! What was your tryglyceride ?? hope works out well for you

Last edited by plum : Tue, Dec-09-03 at 08:33.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 13:38

BF:

Plum,
Thank you for your advice. I agree with everything you wrote. I have to admit that even though I have been very faithful to the diet, I have eaten a lot of red meat, cheese, eggs and cream to help satisfy my appetite and resist the carbs. I now feel much more in control of my diet and I don't think I will have any problem cutting down on the fat. BTW, since starting I have been taking all of the supplements recomended by Dr. Atkins including:
Pantethine
Niacin
Vitamin C
All the EFA's
Vitamin E
Choline
L-Carnitine
Chromium
CoQ10
Garlic
Multi-vitamin
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 14:11

BF:

Plum,
I just read some of the articles at the sites you posted. Thank you so much, my anxiety level just went down 100 points.