Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:42
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default New Atkins Menu at TGI FRidays

But no desserts.

here

What a disappointment - while I applaud their efforts in making it easier to order, all of these items were already available on their menu (I think - with the exception of the plate of veggies with the spinach + artichoke dip). The carb counts seem awfully high too - the chicken and broccoli has 17g carbs - if you take away the onions and peppers that drops down to 12g - so that means a piece of chicken and cheese with a side of broccoli has 12g of carbs! Do they marinate the chicken in Sugar perhaps? (And those are NET carbs - so that's with the fiber in the broccoli already removed!)

And no dessert - that's the best thing about the new Ruby Tuesday menu - that I can go into a restaurant and actually order dessert, which is something I can NEVER do anywhere else (including Fridays). Oh well, I'll be skipping Friday's, I guess. (My favorite foods there are the fried foods, which are a nono for me anyway)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:52
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

The selection isnt that great and the carb count seems dissapointing. I cant understant whats in some of those things to make the carb count so high.

I can make chicken and cheese for 1g

I didnt see any other sides other than the broccoli.

Why does a cheeseburger have so many carbs?

I dont even think I want to know.

Oh well its a start I guess but nothing I couldnt have ordered anyway really.

It isnt that hard to say Hold the rice or bun or something and give me some broccoli instead.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:53

Plan: Atkins / OWL
Stats: 260/208/190 Male 71 in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I'm a little surprised no dessert either.

You would think with a big Atkins-partnership that they could at least stock Endulge ice cream!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 09:58
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

Exactly Hogarth...Even a Carvel ice cream by my house carries Atkins..Maybe with enough complaints they MAY concider.. Wouldn't that be nice
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 10:56
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I had the sizzlin' chicken and cheese just a few weeks ago, before the whole low-carb menu debuted, and I never would have estimated it at 17 grams. That's just crazy. There aren't that many peppers and onions on it anyway. Weird.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 11:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

That sucks, Ruby Tuesday's is much better.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 11:54
Out of service...

Stats: 220/205.5/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 18%

I'm so happy that you guys posted that Ruby Tuesday's has an lc menu... I just checked out their website, and now I know where I'm going for my birthday dinner when I'm in Minneapolis!! I can't wait!
I sure hope that they open up in Canada, or one of the chains that's up here already follows their lead!

Jenn
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:22

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Oh I think that this is a great start. There are more things on the horizon. This concept is new to this type of corporation and this kind of effort deserves our support. When In and Out Burger came out with their protein burger we gave them praise and support. All they had was the bloomin' protein burger. I think they should start making cauliflower fries.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:27
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

black57 has a good point about supporting them even though it's not perfect. At least they're trying, and I'd rather support a restaurant that's trying to accommodate low-carber than one that could care less.

I'm still confused about the high carb counts, though. Anyone here energetic enough to e-mail the Atkins people about it and ask why they're so high? I assume Atkins set the net carb counts in the first place.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 12:47

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 191/152/155
BF:
Progress: 108%
Talking Priorities first! Beer!

Never eat on an empty stomach! I went into a Fridays recently and asked if they have Michelob Ultracarb? They said they just discontinued it! I could not believe it. Ultracarb beer is exploding at every bar I go to. They can barely keep it in stock. Two places I go to have it on tap. How can Fridays discontinue a product that is booming in demand?
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 16:24

Stats: 300/291.5/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Well I think the carb count is so high on someof them is bc they really FILL the plate. I would find it hard to eat all of that

Side they probably decided to overestimate the carbs so they wouldn't be sued if one chef makes it diff
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 19:01
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 165/131/115 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasche
Well I think the carb count is so high on someof them is bc they really FILL the plate. I would find it hard to eat all of that

Side they probably decided to overestimate the carbs so they wouldn't be sued if one chef makes it diff

I dunno - take a look at the sizziling chicken dish - 17g carbs. They say take away the onions and peppers to save 5g carbs - so we're left with 12g net carbs (they specifically state NET carbs) - Chicken has 0, the cheese has maybe 2g - to get 10g net carbs from whats left on the plate (which is BROCCOLI!) you have to eat 5 CUPS of broccoli - they may fill the plate, but there is no way they are providing 5 cups as a side.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 19:24
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Off topic, but WOW. I just noticed Hogarth's current avatar. You look like somebody stuck you in the wrong wash cycle and the high heat dryer cycle and you shrunk about 5 sizes! Way to go....
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 23:46

BF:

I went to TGI Fridays for dinner tonight since today was the first day they started with atkins and I kid you not they give you nearly 3 cups of brocoli its crazy. They probably add some kind of seasoning to it to make it that high but its nicer that they ahve some dishes that are slightly higher in carbs but a little more intresting for when you can have more carbs like when your on 30-50 carbs a day

I ordered the Cheeseburger cheeseburger with mushroom and my hubbie got the blue cheese steak. The burger was a bargain at $7.99 but for $16.99 for the steak I thought a salad would be included though the steak is HUGE.

We ordered the spinach dip bc we love that so its cool that they include a variety of vegetables such as snow peas and peppers.

I'm pretty sure the cheese they use is regular processed american that tends to have 2 carbs an ounce as opposed to 1

But anyways lets not look a gifthorse in the mouth y know

Last edited by tasche : Tue, Dec-09-03 at 23:50.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-09-03, 23:47

BF:

Michelob Ultra is nasty btw for .4 carbs more most of the ppl I know on atkins drink miller light instead.

Oh btw the ppl at fridays say the response sofar has been huge