Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 19:12
Happy Spring!!!

Plan: Will be starting SBD soon
Stats: 226.5/223.5/175 Female 5'7
BF:34%/33%/lo as poss
Progress: 6%

I start out with 3 meals a day, but they kind of turn into grazing on their own. I pack my breakfast and lunch and it takes me from 9am-11am to choke down 2 boiled eggs and 3 pieces if bacon, then from 1-3 to get down whatever I take for lunch. I'm never hungry and it seems if my stomach does growl 2 bites satisfies it and Im not hungry after that. I have one constant snack I guess.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 19:20

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Sometimes we all want to eat for eating's sake, and the more frequently we eat, the more opportunities we give ourselves to go overboard -- it's a lot harder to stop yourself from eating too much than it is just not to eat at all. Couple that with being quasi-hungry all the time for a couple days, and you've got a recipe for a pigout.

Atlee, you explained how I feel so well! LOL. Eating 6+ times a day gave me so many opportunities to think about food. It seemed like my whole day was filled with thoughts of food. Not good! And coupled that with the unsatisfied feeling after consuming 200-300 cals and you get a potential recipe for disaster. The CAD book explains very well the role of insulin. Not only what you eat but also the frequency of eating plays a major role in hunger and cravings. Of course, the mini-meals work exceptionally well for some people. It's all a YMMV kind of thing.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 19:55

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

I like eating 3 meals per day and, if I choose, a protein snack. The reason is, I believe that I am hypoglycemic. Before doing this WOE I could not wait long between meals before I became ravenous. Now it is so much easier to last throughout the day without that starving/shaky feeling ( shame on you, carbs ). I continue to have a good appetite but the hunger feeling is kinder and gentler. I feel that one of the biggest accomplishments on the woe is the ability to eat in bigger intervals. I used to eat 2 helpings of food because I was afraid that I would get hungry too quickly if I didn't. THree meals works for me.

Black57
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 20:32

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 208/185/150 Male 5ft 9'
BF:
Progress: 40%

I definately prefer the 3 meals a day. I just feel like the 4-6+ meals a day is too much work. Also I think eating so many (also with just three) becomes a pattern, just like eating in front of the the tv or movie. Many times I used to find myself getting popcorn to go watch a movie.. not because I was hungry, simply because that is what I was used to doing. And I jus tthink that if I were to constantly eat 4-6+ meals a day.. if for some reason or another not under my control i went of plan, I would go crazy constantly eating. So the 3 meals work, each one keeping me full until the next one. Sometimes I may have a snack.. it used to be peanuts... but they are too addictive so I gave those up for now.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:17
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
don't personally have the kind of trouble with volatile blood sugar levels between meals that LadyBelle describes below. I get *hungry* if I haven't eaten a solid meal in a while, but it takes a long time (8+ hours) to get to the headache stage, much less the nausea stage. I also don't get the typical post-meal sleepiness associated with a blood sugar spike.

Sorry I didn't mean for it to sound like everyone has that problem. I rarely have it now a days with my blood sugar under control.

Before Lc I think I was hyperglacemic. I would wak eup with a blood sugar about 80 (that's fairly normal) but it would drop through out the day. I could get as low as 15-20. I've found that frequent small meals help to balance that out more.

It's also a matter of I feel satisfied after 200-300 calories, but like someoen said above, hungery a few hours later. For me this works. I can't sit down and eat a meal of 500-600 calories managing to finish it and not feel ill after. That's just how my body works. When I was having 3 meals a day at around 300 cals, I wasn't getting enough and my weight loss stalled. By interducing the snacks I usually get enough I don't have a problem. (I still some days have very low cal days, even when I eat massive amounts of food.)

When I was doing BFL I tried for the 6 small meals a day he recomends. I found though that I just don't have time for that. 4-5 with 3 being main meals and the others just snacks seem to be where I'm happiest at. There are also days wher eI'm just starving and eat 7 or so (this usually happens before a godo loss, or getting over a set point.) I think my body just needs the extra energy and reassurance that food will be available for it.

Every one is different and it's important to figure out what's right for you. The only thing I have difficulty beliving is healthy is the people who eat one large meal a day, or who only allow themselves to eat once a week and on that day they have a massive pig out.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-08-03, 21:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am currently doing the 3 meals a day thing, but only because I don't have time for the mini-meals, which in my opinion, would work better for me. Since Atkins discourages the grab and go frankenfoods, it will be 3 meals a day for me. Plus I hate to cook! (but I better learn!!)