Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 18:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 284/270/130 Female 5 ft. 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Angry Gained 3 pounds, ruined cheesecake, feeling bitter

For whatever reason, I am up 3 pounds this week. I feel like an ~ss for being upset by this, because I am wearing a skirt I haven't been able to wear in about 3 years. I don't understand why I have gained, but I am dealing with it. I know I am upset and can't seem to let it go because I had a nightmare about it last night.

I also just ruined a cheesecake that I was making for my husband tonight. He wanted a treat for tonight, while we were decorating the tree. I had gathered all the ingredients (or so I thought). I had to make a special run to the store to buy Sugar Twin, since the recipe calls for both Sugar Twin and Splenda, and I only had Splenda, and I wanted to follow the recipe to the letter.

The store only had the packets, so that is what I used. I measured out 5 tbsp like the recipe requested (12 packets per tbsp, meaning I tore open 60 little packets). I began to suspect that something was wrong when I licked my fingers, and I just checked the Sugar Twin website, where they state not to use the packets for cooking.

I am mostly bitter about the wasted time (ok, and wasted money). It took me two hours to mix the damned cake, and blend 2 1/2 pounds (2 1/2 pounds!) of cream cheese in the food processor. I thought I had a pretty good processor, but all the ingredients wouldn't fit. I had to mix everything in batches. So after all that time and effort to realize I made a rooky mistake has got me pretty bitter.

After all this, paying $40 to Atkins Nutritionals to have them ship us a cheesecake doesn't sound so unreasonable.

~~Amaara
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 18:19
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

awe!

the weight is prolly water. is TOM near or anything? maybe cut back on sodium a bit and drink more?

As far as the cheesecake goes, if you are making karens cheesecake with the brazil nut crust, I made it with just splenda since sugar twin in the US is made with saccharin which has a bitter flavor and she uses the canadian sugar twin which is cyclamate and goes better. Did you bake the cake anyway? it might not be that bad. Try it with just splenda next time it really comes out amazing.

just dont try shalling the nuts yourself if you make the crust lol that was my big mistake.

cheer up... I am sure it will get better after the weekend.

hugs,

MJ
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 18:33

BF:

Yes, I used Karen's recipe. It is cooling on our bakers rack right now, but I can tell already that it is very, very bitter. My husband is trying to get me to laugh at the situation, and it is kinda funny. I had plenty of Splenda on hand, and didn't need to run to the store (in this lovely East Coast storm no less!). I didn't realize that the Sugar Twin to which she referred was not the saccharin Sugar Twin we can get in the store. Oh well, I hope everyone who reads this and wants to try to recipe will not do what I did!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 19:14
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

well wait till it gets cold... maybe even freeze it and then eat it so you might not taste as much of the bitterness or melt some chocolate or another powerful flavor and drizzle it on top and eat it that way.

If you go to the recipe section on this site in karens corner there is a long thread on this cheesecake and other great recipes of hers. Worth checking out.

good luck,

MJ
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 08:40

BF:

I threw it away. I do appreciate the suggestions on how to fix it, however.

As far as the weight gain goes, it is permanent. I have had it now for 7 days, so I guess it is here to stay. I am trying really, really hard to stay positive, but my husband is sick with his second cold in two months (and also hasn't lost any weight). I am just beginning to wonder if this if what we should be doing.

~~Amaara
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 08:56

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Amaara - why don't you try posting some of your menus and let folks here take a look at them. Someone here may be able to find things in your menus that are causing your problems.

I'm sorry your hubby is sick. I know it's rough when you don't feel well.

Post some of those daily menus and let us take a look.

shortstuff
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 10:16

Plan: SBD
Stats: 209/173/150 Female 5'7"
BF:40.9%/33.5%/23%
Progress: 61%

This has become my favorite cheesecake recipe. It is quick and easy. You may want to try it sometime. I actually like it better than the brazil nut one.
Pumpkin Marble Cheesecake Crust: 2 cups finely chopped pecans 1/3 cup Parkay Margarine, melted Combine pecans and margarine; press onto bottom and 1-1/2 inches up sides of 9-inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.

Filling: 2 8 oz. pkgs. Philadelphia brand cream cheese, softened
Sugar substitute to equal 3/4 cups sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
3 eggs
1 cup canned pumpkin
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Combine cream cheese, 2/3 of total sugar substitute and vanilla, mixing at medium speed on electric mixer until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each one is added. Reserve 1 cup of batter. Add remaining sugar substitute, pumpkin and spices to remaining batter; mix well.

Spoon pumpkin and cream cheese batters alternately over crust; cut through batters with kinfe several times for marble effect.

Bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes. Loosen cake from rim of pan; cool before removing rim of pan. Chill and serve.

You can also make no carb whipped cream topping by mixing whipping cream and sugar substitute with electric mixer until thick and creamy.
Follow directins up above
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 10:25
PuertoRican Princess

Stats: 299/236/135 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile Don't give up!

Sorry to hear about your cheesecake. Man I love cheesecake I think I would have cried if that happened to me. But, practice makes perfect so don't give up.

I know the weight going up can be frustrating but don't give. You said, maybe this thing isn't for me, but neither is being heavy right? So, hang in there. Revise your menu, post it even and we will help you find the dents. You can do this.

Hell, if I can, then anybody can. Cause I'm so stubborn and really, really hate not eating my high carb cheesecake and other illegal foods. But I also really, really, really, really hate being heavy. So I had to chose, and I chose ME!

Hang in there, hope your honey gets better and hope the Whoosh Fairy comes to visit you this week.

Lily
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 10:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 230/223/150 Female 65 inches
BF:

Hi Amaara:
Some days are just plain awful. You have come so far-a loss of almost 35lbs. That's fantastic. Maybe it is time to adjust your menus for a new smaller you. Ifind when I am not losing or even gaining a bit I just go back to induction and have no sweet stuff and I start losing again. Just try to stick with it and you will see your results.
Last Sunday I was celbrating the first advent and I let my daughter chose what she wants for Supper. She chose Chinese food. So I spent all day making Sweet and sour meatballs and chicken balls for me. I made up the whole batch and it was awfull. I through it away. By the end of the evening I don't know which made me madder--they didn't turn out or I had wasted $12.00 worth of meat and all my time and energy. This advent we are having Greek Salad ,I know that will turn out!!!!!
This stuff happens and you just have to shrug it off and keep on going. I am hoping your hubby gets better soon.
angie
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Dec-07-03, 22:16

BF:

Thank you all for the support. We have been on induction-level carbs, or close to them, for 2 months now (since December 3rd). I think I might try adding in more low GI carbs to see if that helps.

I just finished my walk for the evening, so I feel more positive now.

~~Amaara (tomorrow is another day!)