Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 02:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178.5/154/150 Male 170 cm
BF:22%/16%/??%
Progress: 86%
Default Cheated, nothing happened, afraid :P

Well, finally did my first cheat since I started this back in August.... I was planning to cheat for my wife's bday dinner at a really nice sushi restaurant.... but it actually ended up worse than that

For lunch on Friday, went out with co-workers, and we decided to let this pregnant lady choose the restaurant, and we ended up going to Congee Wong (chinese restaurant). Everyone shared, congee, beef rice noodles, singapore noodles and some beef rice dish. I stayed away from the congee (not that hard, never liked it too much) and rice, and had a bit of both the noodles. It was good, but each bite I was thinking damn, wth am I doing? Anyways, drank lots of tea, and lots of water afterwards.

For dinner, had sashimi (no problems there), sushi (ouch... especially the bbq eel), tempura king crab (yeah, but hardly battered), a bunch of japanese courses in between that somtimes had sushi rice, batter, sauce, etc., and dessert which was this ice cream like thingy with pomegranates, caramel cream and this caramel wafer. Again, made sure I drank lots of tea, and then water when I got home.

Next day, my weight actually dropped to 147 from 148, and today it was 146.5. Don't understand it, I didn't go back on induction, I'm still doing OWL, and eating the same like I did before the cheat meals.

So, since I didn't get punished for my actions, I'm afraid of what this will mean for me :P Actually, I guess I'm not too worried, cause even though I had those cheat meals, I'm happily back eating low carb even when people are shoving their cakes, Krispey Kreme and ice cream in my face the last couple of days. Yep, everything back to normal.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 05:01

Plan: Low Carb My Way
Stats: 170/169/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Oh Rebe...do not get fooled into thinking that it won't catch up with you...it will! Just because you don't see (or feel) the carbs working on your body..they are... I know, my 'falling of the wagon' did not start affecting me till 2-3 weeks later and this with not going overboard completely... One thing it definitely affected was my cholestral level. From a great 157 to 198 in only 3 short weeks! THen I started noticing my energy level was faltering....a "get up and at life" person in the morning, I was now having trouble getting up. My appetite increased thus I ate more. Before I knew it...4 lbs gained and this I knew was true pounds since my slacks were getting tighter.

So don't think it won't catch up with you in one way or another...it will.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 06:46

Stats: 202/128/125 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I agree with Yvonne. I don't think an occassional indulgence will hurt but if you make a habit of it.....

I too just had my first cheat and it was with chinese food too. It didn't hurt me as my weight is still the same three days later. I know I couldn't do it every day or even very often without a gain though. That is true with absolutely every diet or WOL out there. It's all about lifestyle changes.

BTW...it sure was good wasn't it?
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 09:22

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Slippery slope

The problem I've always had with "nothing happened" is exactly that--nothing happened. What REALLY happens is that I then start thinking I can do it again. Funny how quickly the intervals drop--first it may be one month between "cheats" and then it's a week and then it's daily and then I'm gone.

My own history is more with cigarettes than LC, but it's happened a couple of times. Heard alcoholics tell the same story with regard to drinking again.

Good luck.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 17:36
Registered Member

Point taken Yvonne... luckily, I don't have cravings for anything afterwards (went to Pizza Hut with co-workers where they had the lunch buffet, ordered buffalo wings only myself though).

Lori, well, the chinese food was what I remembered it to be... filling in a oily way The Japanese food, well, let's just say its the best meal I've ever had in my life, including all those meals at Ruth's Chris, Morton's, and cruise ships... so basically I guess that cheat for dinner was worth it.

cs_carver, yeah, did think to myself that I might be able to get away with it easier than I thought, but I don't think I'll test out that theory!
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 23:14

Stats: 203.5/163/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've heard that a cheat day can actually jumpstart your weight loss as long as you go right back to LC afterwards. I wouldn't do it often though.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:48

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

oops, see next post.
kathy

Last edited by Kathy54 : Tue, Dec-02-03 at 08:55.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 08:53

Stats: 180/135/140 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 113%

Quote:
a cheat day can actually jumpstart your weight loss as long as you go right back to LC afterwards.

Yep but it useally only is nice to you once! lol

That Japanese meal sounds devine!! You did the right thing in drinking lots of water after each meal.

The great thing about moving "through the stages" of Atkins is, you do get to have some of those things and it's not longer a cheat

Quote:
I'm happily back eating low carb even when people are shoving their cakes, Krispey Kreme and ice cream in my face the last couple of days. Yep, everything back to normal.

Thats great, why not move on to maintenance since you are below your goal?
Check out the Mantenance thread from the main page.

Cheers Kathy
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:43
Registered Member

I guess I should move onto maintenance.... the problem is, I was on induction until I hit my goal, and just moved on to OWL as of the last 3-4 weeks. Am I moving through the stages too fast? I'll check out the Maintenance thread and hopefully find something to help me make my decision.

I have been eating a lot more things that I haven't before, like lots of pistachio nuts, a cup of milk per day (half in the morning, half at night), asparatame products (although I still try to avoid them where possible), berries, low carb bagels, have a bunch of latortillas in my freezer that I haven't checked out yet, etc, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy54
Yep but it useally only is nice to you once! lol

That Japanese meal sounds devine!! You did the right thing in drinking lots of water after each meal.

The great thing about moving "through the stages" of Atkins is, you do get to have some of those things and it's not longer a cheat

Thats great, why not move on to maintenance since you are below your goal?
Check out the Mantenance thread from the main page.

Cheers Kathy
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 14:28

Stats: 245/205/175 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Carbs seem to have varying levels as to how much it goes against you in terms of weight gain. I've disovered I have a pretty high tolerance for carbs, as I found out in October when I went back to Alabama for my Brothers wedding. Of course, as most people from the south will tell you, there isn't much if anything in the way of low carbing in the deep south. So, I just ate what the natives ate. I did not eat sweets (with the exception of the wedding cake and whatnot), and stayed away from non-diet soda. But I did have bread, potatoes, macaroni, ect. I actually lost about 6 pounds during the 10 day stay. and recently, I was on the road in cali for 3 weeks for work. Diners being pretty much mine and my cooworkers only souce of food, The low carb selections were 0. So, I ate pretty much as if I wasn't on Atkins. Though again, no sweets, no sugar-cola. I didn't lose any weight, but gained none either. Now i'm back home, and Atkins is restarted as normal. Maby I'm just one of the lucky ones.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 15:36

Plan: Food Combining
Stats: 220/175/154 Male 5feet5inches
BF:?/27.5%/19.6%
Progress: 68%

I cheated last week at a party to celbrate Eid. I put on 2 kilos overnight and it still hasn't gone away.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 09:14
Registered Member

Hopefully, I'm one of the lucky ones like Harley, but I'm not gonna test it yet :P

RCFletcher, you drinking lots of water? I usually drink lots of water whenever I feel I'm slightly over my carb limit, and especially that day I cheated.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-03, 22:56

Stats: 162/142.5/135 Female 5'4''
BF:
Progress: 72%

I cheated once last week with 4 chocolate chip cookies but they were in one setting so that helps. The next day I went down 1 pound. Day before yesterday I had some cake and milk and went down a pound yesterday. I usually lose weight slower than this, it seems like my last 2 cheats helped me. I don't get it but I don't mind it! I'm not gonna cheat anymore though, I'll be good.