Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 10:45

Plan: CAD
Stats: 190/185/175 Male 6'0
BF:
Progress: 33%
Default Just started CAD...questions...(CAD vs. CADLP)

I’m 27 and vegetarian. I read the basic Heller book () last week. I started the CAD diet on Monday (two days ago). Having heard about the newer book (Carbohydrate Addcicts: LifeSpan Program) on Monday, I picked that book up Monday afternoon and managed to read the entire book already. I really enjoyed the Carbohydrate Addcicts: LifeSpan Program book. It provided me with a lot of info on the diet and the inner workings of my body. Lots of insights indeed. But, after reading both books, I did have a couple questions which I wasn’t able to answer through the reading:

In the first book there is emphasis on eating 2 CM’s (Complimentary Meals) and one RM (Reward Meal). There was also a section about another option of the diet which allows for a snack between Complimentary Meals. The first book provided a table which listed the types and amounts (for example: no more than 2 oz. of cheese per CM) of food available for the CM’s. So it seemed to me that the amount of food eaten and the frequency of CM’s (2 a day) was very important. But after reading the LifeSpan book I’m coming across things like:

Page 117: “…Craving Reducing Meals and Snacks should be well balanced and should include both high-fiber and protein-rich choices. The amount you eat is not critical as long as you include both protein and high-fiber vegetables at any Craving Reducing Meal or Snack. Some people eat ½ protein, ½ vegetable; others choose less protein and more salad and vegetables. We generally recommend that you take “average-sized portions” and go back for more if you like but, in the end, the size and proportions are truly up to you.”

Page 118: “If you want a snack, you are free to enjoy any of the Craving Reducing foods you desire…”

So my questions are:

1. Is there a limit to how much food I can eat at the CM’s so long as the meals are a balance of quality fiber and protein foods? Is there a limit to the amount of fat I should consume?
2. Can I have a snack of CM friendly foods in between CM’s if I am hungry? Or does more frequent eating sabotage my program?
3. I’m a vegetarian and in my late 20’s, so does that mean that the CADLP book isn’t geared toward someone my age?

This is not to say that I am looking for license to eat endless amounts of foods. I understand that the diet helps correct a craving to overeat, and that eventually I may not be hungry in between meals. I have also been looking into whether the foods I’m eating may contain hidden carbs that may be increasing my appetite. But I have found that I get very hungry while waiting the 4 to 5 hours in between my CM’s (Prior to going on this diet I usually ate 6 or more smaller meals throughout the day, so maybe I’m just not used to waiting so long in between meals?). If this can be corrected by eating more at my CM’s, or if I am able to have a snack in between, then I’d like to have that cleared up for me. Remember, I’ve only been on the diet for 3 days now. For example, yesterday I ate 2 eggs with one piece of cheese and bacon alternative at 8:00am. My lunch hour isn’t until 1:00pm, and I was starving by 11:00am. So today, I added another piece of cheese to my eggs and here it is approaching 12:00pm and I’m not hungry at all. Is that OK? Too much fat in these foods?

Also, last night I was up late working on an assignment. It had been 6 hours since I had my Reward Meal, and I was very hungry. I went to sleep very hungry but wondered if I could have had a CM friendly snack that would not have upset my program?
Thanks!
Scott
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 16:18

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

The Heller's do not want you to be hungry, but this has to be accomplished within the confines of the program. First, be aware that your hunger will subside with time. You eventually will not be as hungry. That will help the whole issue, but....

1.Eat enough at your CM's that you are really satisfied, just not stuffed. You might need to add some fat, if you're not, to give you that feeling and hold you a bit longer. You're not to leave a CM feeling like you wished you could have eaten a bit more....you can.

2. Yes, you are allowed 1 snack from the CM foods list per day. Use it if you need to. Going to bed hungry is not good. If you are hungry, you need to feed your body, but you have to remember that eating frequently through the day is not the goal. Eat more at the approved meals to get yourself to the next meal. Some people need the snack in the beginning, but quickly find it can be eliminated with no problem.

3. CALP is fine for everyone. It's just a more finely tuned version of CAD with some extra steps to take when or if you're ready.

Re: your breakfast...I think it would be better to eat more eggs than more cheese. Cheese can be a culprit in stalling so should be used a bit more sparingly than other proteins.

Do you eat fish or chicken or is your vegetarianism based on soy, eggs, and cheese?

Hope this helps....you'll get some other imput, I'm sure.

Welcome to CAD. I hope you have great success.

Deb
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 07:56

BF:

Thanks Deb for all the info! I really appreciate it! I have since added a bit more food to my CM's and I'm hoping that this helps to get me from one meal to the next. The extra food has been in the form of cheese so far, but having just read your reply, I will heed your warning and try to add more eggs rather than cheese. One other question: Since I'm on the "Basic Plan" for these first two weeks, is it better to avoid the snack between CM's for now? And then add one in between CM's if needed after I'm through with these first two weeks? Or will the first two weeks be uneffected by a snack in between CM's?

As I mentioned, I started the diet on Monday, so this is my 4th day. Each day when I wake up, I'm about one pound less. That's already 3 pounds lost since Monday. Is that too much? If it is too much, how can I slow it down? I did eat a big Chinese meal on Saturday, so maybe my weight was a bit inflated on Monday morning and I've been losing some of the retained water from MSG? No sure...

As for my vegetarian diet, I eat only eggs, cheese, and most dairy foods. No fish or chicken.

Thanks!
Scott
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 08:06

BF:

...same goes for the morning coffee with cream (no sugar...within 15 minutes): Is this something I should include after making it through the first two weeks of "Basic Plan"? Or can I have this coffee even during these first two weeks? Thanks...
Sctt
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 14:15

Plan: Weight Watchers
Stats: 264/136/146 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 108%

I wouldn't worry about the rapid loss at this point. Give it some time and see if it lets up. There is bound to be some water weight it the beginning. My guess is...it will level off.

Glad you added to your CM's. Remember to add until satisfied and holding comfortably to your next meal. This should get easier each day. Go ahead and eat the CS if you need it....you should NOT be hungry on CAD....unless it's meal time. That's normal hunger at an appropriate time. There is a difference.

Don't know much about the coffee....not one of my vices . However, I think it's once a day with cream and to be gone within 15 min. of starting. I'm sure some of our coffee lovers will correct me if I'm wrong.

Eggs and cheese doesn't sound like a real strong protein base and other dairy products will have to be saved for RM. Do you eat soy? Watch the soy products for sugar in all it's forms.

I was veggie for about 5 years. It didn't suit me, but I know a lot of people really thrive on it.

How about starting a journal. It can really be a big help and a great way to "meet" people. Consider it.

Also, I don't know if you're completely new to the forum or not, but if you are, and don't already know....you can visit journals by clicking the journal icon at the bottom of the posts. Reading journals was an invaluable help to me in the beginning.....and still is.

You're doing great...
Deb
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-03, 19:54

Plan: CAD from day 1
Stats: 327/304/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I agree,

you are off to a good start and you seem to have a very good knowledge base of CAD which is terrific.

Deb was right about the coffee. Only one a day with milk or cream and must be finished within 15 mins. You can have black tea or coffee any time though.

I second the suggestion to start a journal, it is an invaluable tool.

Take care, and welcome!
Tracy