Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 13:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 364/319/165 Female 67 inches
BF:54.2/52/25
Progress: 23%
Unhappy I'm about to lose it!

I wonder when I'll stop losing the same 10-15 pounds. This last month I've lost a total of 10 lbs however I also gained that much and then some in the same month. I've spent the last 5 days losing some (not all) of what I gained during T O M.

What can I do to make the TOM weight gain less permanent and demoralising?

Let me explain, on the 4th day of TOM when I noticed that the scale had gone up by 4 lbs to 307 my mind went blank, twisted in upon itself and (shriek) (gasp) I announced to my hubby that I was taking a break from the Atkins WOE and proceeded to gorge myself on every imaginable high carb food I could find. Worse, I did that for 3 days and gained 10 more lbs (317). So here I am today having as of yesterday's weigh in lost 9 of the extra lbs, this morning I weigh in and having been perfectly legal (72% 24% 4% based on fitday) I'm up 2 lbs today. Yes I drank my water, in fact a little more than usual, could it be water retention?

I know 2lbs may not seem like much but I figured I would keep moving quickly back to my pre TOM weight or at least lose another lb. Isn't most of the gain I had supposed to be water? Zippo!! Nada! Nothing! Zilch! And my scale although it says that it does 1/2 lb increments on the box has never given me a 1/2 lb weight loss result ever and God knows this morning I needed something to keep me going.

I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle (no pun intended). I know I shouldn't be ungrateful because I have lost almost 60 lbs but when will I lose some more? I'm still sooo fat!

I'm terribly sorry if I bring anyone else down with me but I'm close to the edge of an abyss today and hanging onto this WOE by a very thin thread.

Nicckkii

PS: I'm so miserable I actually changed the weight on my avatar from my pre Tanita scale weight to my REAL weight I was hoping to catch up with that weight (284) by Christmas but now...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 13:49

Stats: 310/288.5/135 Female 5'6 and a half
BF:too ***#* much
Progress: 12%

I read through some of that. And yes TOM weight gain is mainly water weight(5-10 lb), if you had not crashed and burned on your diet. Not once but for THREE days. Then it is REAL weight gain. Once- you have got back into ketosis you'll start to lose again. But it sounds like you started your own stall. TOM is evil but you just have to muddle through them. During the course of life, your weight will fluctuate up and down. It's water weight, its the actual food in your system. Which is how you can gain 2-10lbs from morning to night. Patience, your body in the end will decide on the pace of weight loss for you.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 15:44

Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

My weight loss (on the scale) is very irregular over the course of the month but I believe that I am really losing all month, it's just that hormones control when the body releases the weight. I usually lose right before and during TOM. Then I will go 10 or more days with no drop. Despite this I am still losing 6-8 pounds a month. Just be steady and persistent.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 17:10

Plan: atkins
Stats: 220/190/160 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 50%

you have done so well....60 lbs? that's wonderful....keep that in mind, and try not to worry about this little fluctuation.....do what you know you need to do, and the scales will eventually show it...it's not a race....you can do it! (this is what i tell myself lately! i have to believe in something!)
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 17:23

Stats: 286/219/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

My TOM causes me to stall or gain about 5 pounds. I usually figure it is just because of the TOM and I ignore it. Afterwards that 5 pounds usually drops off with a couple of other ones if I stay with the WOE during the whole time. Next time TOM comes just ignore the gain and keep eating how you should because afterward you could have a nice Whoosh!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-03, 23:02

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

((((((((((((Nicckkii))))))))))

Congrats on the 60 pounds that is a great job you have done.
You need to have some faith that this WOL will work and keep working. i really wish Dr Atkins had been a girl because then he would have addressed TOM and the symptoms better for us.
You need to know that weight loss even by those following the Atkins WOL exactly isn't a linear downward drop. You will have days of loss and days with no movement and even the occasional upward weight gain days but overall the trend is downward if you follow the rules Dr Atkins gave you in your DANDR.

It reads like you have scale number phobia and you allow what a metal box controlled by the gravitational pull of the earth says effect how you feel about yourself. The cure is stay off the scales and allow your clothes. tapemeasure, and how you feel tell you how you are doing. Make friends with your tape measure and it will be your best pal when the scales torture you with their display.
You should especially stay off the scales during TOM since you know you will be gaining weight then. Use your tapemeasure to see all the inches of fat you have lost and don't worry about the pounds af water you are holding.
Me i don't have scale number phobia and can weigh all day long just to see what things do to my weight. Those that do have it should pick a day of the week for the official weigh in and ignore what it says the other days. You could even go to a monthly weigh in if you needed the bigger number. I have a friend who weighs in every 3 months so she can have a big loss. She uses her tapemeasure and clothes to tell her she is losing between weigh ins.
The pounds you regained will come off when your ketosis kicks in. Follow the induction menus to get back in ketosis and then resume your plan where you were before the 3 day binge. You can't take days off from your new WOL. this is a life long change for better health and weight management. It will work if you work it. Eat according to the plan as layed out in your DANDR, drink your water, take your needed supplements and do the mandatory daily exercise. When you are working all parts of Atkins the pounds will start moving in the right direction the way you'd like them to.
Happy low carbing to you.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 06:01

Stats: -/140/135 Female 5'10"
BF:All Fat?
Progress: 52%

I agree with the previous poster. Stay off the scale around the TOM. I have a definite case of scale phobia and know that if I've been loyal to the WOE the weight will come off, even if there is a temporary fluctuation. I know that I get freaked out when I get on the scale and there is no loss or a gain when I've been good, so I simply stay away from it during that time. Good luck to you!
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:21

Stats: 240/184/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:lost track
Progress: 56%
Default TOM woes....

TOM Woes can be a trial. I used to see gains during this time and have learned to just stay off the scale. First reason why to avoid weighing is that you are hormonal. Who needs more stress in the midst of being unbalanced. Second, avoid weighing IF it bothers you so much to see a gain. It seems that we have this thought that we should be losing every single week, because of this new WOE. This just ain't gonna happen sweety!
I waited til after TOM was gone to weigh in. It wasn't worth looking at the scale before or during.
I agree with the others. You have to remain consistent with LC'ing. Going on a binge is going to stall you and therefore add to your distress. Get back on the wagon, get the ketosis going and stay the heck away from the scale during TOM!!! LOL!
You have already lost 60 pounds so I know that you can do this! What good is it going to do you to quit now when you have come so far. If I had quit back in March when I first fell off the wagon I wouldn't be 78 lbs lighter or probably MORE miserable than when I started. Give yourself a little credit and don't get discouraged. TOM woes isn't going to leave you completely until Menopause and then there will be a whole new set of issues to face. It's all the joy of being a woman.
I have found that since LC'ing that my PMS has gotten tons better. Hopefully, yours will too!
Hugs,
Tanya
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 07:50

Plan: Atkns/CT Weight&Wellness
Stats: 335/272.5/170 Female 5 ft 3 inches
BF:54/51/35
Progress: 38%

I'm sorry for your feeling of despair, and I feel it too.

First of all, OH MY GOD, you have lost 60lbs! That is just wonderful! Congratulations on that. You did that by sticking with this WOE.

Basically TOM weight gain depressed you and caused you to go off the WOE, which basically made the situation worse.

But your back on track and that is the important thing.

If the TOM thing is getting you down, try the following:

1. Drink MORE water the 3 days before and during.
2. You can take a mild diuretic to help alleviate water weight gain during this time
3. Stay away from lunch meats and anything with high amounts of sodium during this time.
4. Stay off the scale until 3 days after your TOM.

Take heart and remember how far you have come, how much better you feel today than you did before you started this WOE.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:29
Contributing Member

Stats: 345/304/240 Male 5'9
BF:20.72 %
Progress: 39%

Hi Nicckkii, I'm sorry you have TOM problems. I really don't understand much about that stuff, but I do understand that you have lost 60 pounds so you are doing something right. That is a big improvement from where you were at when you started this wol. You know that following this woe has hepled you so far and will continue.

Hang in there and good luck.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 08:46
Registered Member

Stats: 364/319/165 Female 67 inches
BF:54.2/52/25
Progress: 23%

Hi all of you,
Thanks for the advice. Boy, do I have scale number phobia, but I also am addicted to weighing. I don't know how to stop.

I'll try to be obedient but that darn scale keeps calling me.

For the good news I've gone down by 2 lbs this morning and of course feel much better today.

I'll keep you guys posted. Believe me reading what is posted on here gave me such a boost.

Nicckkii
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 15:26

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

hey Nicckkii
Since you arean addict simply pick the day that will be the official weigh in day and ignore what it says all the other times you get on. Up a pound Monday no problem the weigh in isn't until Friday and I can exercise and up my fluids between now and then to lose this weight. See it is easy to figure out a away a scale junkie can conquore the scale number phobia problems.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 16:41
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Nicckkii-
I was not addicted to the scales but as close as I am to breaking into the 3333's I find I weigh 4 or 5 times a day now. Making me crazier than I already am.
When I do my little self-imposed 21 Days of Christmas seen at the bottom of my messages...I am putting our only scale in the trunk of my wife's car. I will weigh this Sunday as normal, log my weight in my journal then between December 1st and the 21st, I will weigh only on the morning of December 22nd. No checking hourly (or whatever)...no getting disappointed if the scale went up instead of down between the morning and afternoon. I vary up to 6 pounds in a single day. THAT can be a big disappointment!

Anyway, if the scale bothers you...lose it for a week then get it out on your weigh day and do that little exercise til you no longer have a case of the scale scares.

Last edited by MisterE : Wed, Nov-26-03 at 17:08.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-03, 18:22

Plan: Atkins/W.W.
Stats: 401/299/170 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 44%

I bounce every day !!!!! I only use Mon's weight as "official."...I do not allow it to drive me crazy...a number on a scale will not define me...rather how I look and feel!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 13:06

Stats: 425/322/240 Female 68 inches
BF:Lots
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulips
I bounce every day !!!!! I only use Mon's weight as "official."...I do not allow it to drive me crazy...a number on a scale will not define me...rather how I look and feel!

I totally agree!! I have my official weigh in on Monday too. I sometimes peek in between, but try not to let it make me crazy. Or should I say craziER.