Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-30-03, 22:13
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrasdad
The thing you miss is that the opinions of others don't usually motivate people.

Really? Ask any successful plastic surgeon or salesperson of luxury goods. I'll bet he/she would disagree.
Quote:
People who have been fat for a lifetime know it. They don't need to be told so. They (we) understand it intimately, and probably with no small amount of personal, daily horror.
External validation, motivation -- whatever you'd like to call it -- isn't usually very useful to an obese person.

No kidding! That's one reason (among others) that obese people get that way.
Quote:
He has the facts. He understands the stakes. So yeah, the opinions of others shouldn't matter. They aren't really all that relevant.

To paraphrase G. B. Shaw, the ways of our tribe (overweight/obese people) are NOT the laws of psychology. Just because you or I are not motivated by the opinions of others to lose weight, or not gain it in the first place, does not mean that other people are not.
Quote:
I don't know of anyone who has been motivated to lose or to make other decisions about self destructive behavior that way.

Imagine yourself in a nice restaurant, filled with fashionably slim people wearing expensive clothes. If the waiter asks a customer if she'd like to order dessert, she's probably not going to say "I really want that Death By Chocolate, but I worry about the opinions of others," in a loud, clear voice. No, she's probably just going to say, "No, thank you." How would you know what her motivations were in that case?
Quote:
I've got a recovering alcoholic brother. He went to jail. He lost his driver's license. He hit pretty much rock bottom. I seriously doubt ridicule would have motivated him.

I agree. And I'm not going to say that any alcoholic would be all right if he/she were motivated by the opinions of others. Alcoholics have many things going on.
Quote:
It seems that "motivation" and ridicule have gotten mixed up here somehow. Comments like "fat-assery" aren't going to motivate anyone to do anything.

Don't look at me, take that up with speakerguy. I know what I mean by motivation, and it usually doesn't have anything to do with comments like "fat-assery".

Last edited by Dean4Prez : Sun, Nov-30-03 at 22:15.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
I agree. And I'm not going to say that any alcoholic would be all right if he/she were motivated by the opinions of others. Alcoholics have many things going on.

wait a second.....so alcoholics (people who are drinking themselves to death) have more "going on" than severly obese folks (people who are eating themselves to death)?

They are two different means to a very destructive end. Why does one group deserve special treatment and more respect than the other?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-01-03, 10:56

Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Why does one group deserve special treatment and more respect than the other?

I don't think eating too much is that different from drinking too much, gambling too much, even drugging too much. (Who has had a tooth out, bone surgery, or similar need for drugs? They aren't bad, they can just be used for bad purposes.)

I know I always blamed myself for my weight problems. Part of it was my fault, since I had a problem with emotional eating. But part of it was also the carb cycle, making me always hungry.

Any addiction has two components like this: the emotional side and the physical side. Gamblers can get hooked on the adrenalin rush of their large bets. Because we have emotional and physical sides which interact, all addictions have these two sides.

The way society regards various addictions is always subject to change. Right now, with the physical problems with carbs not recognized, overweight is seen as something entirely within someone's control, while drinking is seen as something totally out of someone's control. The truth for both is somewhere in between.

Society thinks it's entirely okay to have an intervention with a drug addict, "You must get help!" Etc. Does anyone do that for someone with a weight problem? It's interesting.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-03, 20:30
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 225/170/150 Male 66
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Originally Posted by komireds
wait a second.....so alcoholics (people who are drinking themselves to death) have more "going on" than severly obese folks (people who are eating themselves to death)?

They are two different means to a very destructive end. Why does one group deserve special treatment and more respect than the other?

Were you on the "Twinkie Defense" jury? Simple carbohydrates may be addictive, but they don't affect one's judgement the way alcohol and some drugs do. Have you ever heard of a young woman having sex with someone she wouldn't have otherwise after having a second piece of pie? (If you have and if she's cute, let me know -- I want to buy her some Sara Lee ) Are there any groups of alcoholics anywhere who have "planned binges" the way some of us have "planned cheats" (e.g. for Thanksgiving)? Until the police start doing roadside Dextrostix tests and taking people to jail for having an open container of Ding-Dongs on the front seat, I think alcoholism should definitely be treated differently ("special treatment" if you like) from "carb addiction."

As for "more respect," I just don't feel I have enough experience with alcoholism to draw any conclusions about it.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-03, 09:46

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean4Prez
As for "more respect," I just don't feel I have enough experience with alcoholism to draw any conclusions about it.

well, you seem to have drawn many conclusions anyway....interesting that this comment came AFTER you went on the "twinkie defense" diatribe....